Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Any advice on metal detectors?

Old 08-11-2012, 06:31 PM   #1
Bishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Bishop2Queens6's Tacoma Gallery
Any advice on metal detectors?

I have always wanted a metal detector since I was a kid, but being a rather expensive hobby, well, high initial investment, I never got into it. I have a good job and some cash, and I want to buy a good metal detector but don't know where to start.

Does anyone have one? Where should I start looking? What is a good brand to go with?

My price range is under $2000.

Thank you.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:43 PM   #2
SpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
SpacemanSpiff's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2Queens6 View Post
I have always wanted a metal detector since I was a kid, but being a rather expensive hobby, well, high initial investment, I never got into it. I have a good job and some cash, and I want to buy a good metal detector but don't know where to start.

Does anyone have one? Where should I start looking? What is a good brand to go with?

My price range is under $2000.

Thank you.
I have a Whites MXT, which is at or under the 900 range. Very good detector IMHO - almost a turn on and go. Definitely one of the easiest to use. That said, tesaro and minelab are two really good companies. My Dad has several and likes them all.

My advice, do some research and don't listen to salesmen. Once you get one, spend a lot of time learning your machine. Each one has it's own tendencies that must be learned in order to get the best out of it. That is where some people get discouraged because they take the time. I have had my MXT for around 5 years and really know how to use it because I spent the time...

Good luck and hope you enjoy it! Post some pics! Oh, and my advice on brand? Whites, of course!
Old 08-11-2012, 06:46 PM   #3
Bishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post
I have a Whites MXT, which is at or under the 900 range. Very good detector IMHO - almost a turn on and go. Definitely one of the easiest to use. That said, tesaro and minelab are two really good companies. My Dad has several and likes them all.

My advice, do some research and don't listen to salesmen. Once you get one, spend a lot of time learning your machine. Each one has it's own tendencies that must be learned in order to get the best out of it. That is where some people get discouraged because they take the time. I have had my MXT for around 5 years and really know how to use it because I spent the time...

Good luck and hope you enjoy it! Post some pics! Oh, and my advice on brand? Whites, of course!
I've been looking at white's detectors b/c of their tv commercials. I was thinking of the spectra v3i.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:50 PM   #4
SpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I've been looking at white's detectors b/c of their tv commercials. I was thinking of the spectra v3i.
Haven't tried that one although have heard some good thing about them. You can't go wrong with white's at all. I see you are in socal, what kind of detecting are you into?
Old 08-11-2012, 07:00 PM   #5

I'm interested in beach combing, gold, and meteorites. I've never done any of them, but those have peaked my interest. Since I'm about 20 min from the beach, I would be there the most often.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:13 PM   #6

Quote:
I'm interested in beach combing, gold, and meteorites. I've never done any of them, but those have peaked my interest. Since I'm about 20 min from the beach, I would be there the most often.
That sounds awesome...have never done any beach or the like...
Old 08-11-2012, 07:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post
That sounds awesome...have never done any beach or the like...
I've always wondered what people leave behind on a holiday weekend at the beach. I've found digital cameras, watches, and wallets in the sand just running up and down the coast. Who knows that I will find with a detector.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:00 AM   #8

Quote:
I've always wondered what people leave behind on a holiday weekend at the beach. I've found digital cameras, watches, and wallets in the sand just running up and down the coast. Who knows that I will find with a detector.
You should find some good stuff! You never what you are going to dig. In FL, old Spanish coins wash up often after a storm. I never have been but wish I could!
Old 08-12-2012, 08:53 AM   #9

I spent most of last night looking at the metal detecting forums and opinions on whites v3i and the minelab e-tech, and even though they are in my price range, they are for the advance user so I started looking at the Garret AT pro, whites mxt and minelab xterra.

I decided on the Garret AT pro because its water proof up to 10 feet. A forum member had to send his mxt in b/c a bit of rain got into the detector so I want a water resistant model. Plus now my price range is under $700 without accessory coils.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:06 AM   #10

Quote:
I spent most of last night looking at the metal detecting forums and opinions on whites v3i and the minelab e-tech, and even though they are in my price range, they are for the advance user so I started looking at the Garret AT pro, whites mxt and minelab xterra.

I decided on the Garret AT pro because its water proof up to 10 feet. A forum member had to send his mxt in b/c a bit of rain got into the detector so I want a water resistant model. Plus now my price range is under $700 without accessory coils.
I don't know any about garret detectors, but the same principle applies to all - just spend a little time learning it and you will do great! Now get out there and post some pics!