Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Any cigar or pipe smokers?

Old 08-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #1
Night is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Night's Tacoma Gallery
Any cigar or pipe smokers?

if you do what's your favorite blends/stogies, how often you smoke them and pictures of your humidor or collections!
Old 08-19-2012, 05:51 PM   #3
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Got a few Pete's, a Tinskey, Hardcastle, couple of MM's, a true Meer, and I made one from a Tinskey kit, and have the materials to make another from a Pimo kit.
I was more impressed with the Tinskey briar though... when I order a Plateaux for a freehand, I don't expect to get one that looks like a rock was laying right on the edge of the bowl. Going to have to trim off the top and hope it reveals a nice birds-eye.

Blend? No favorites. So far, I've never duplicated a purchase.
The only blends that I've not cared for were the cheap "drugstore" aromatics (smoke too wet), and I'm not a big fan of Two Friends English Chocolate. The taste is good, but the nicotine content it just too high, and I don't particularly care for the lingering room note. It just hits me as being "dark" and I'm not getting the chocolate from it.
It's not bad for a short smoke out of the smaller Meer bowl, but it's too much for the 60+ minute sessions from the briars.

I like Two Friends Celtic Mist, Peterson "Sherlock Holmes", and I picked up a "Strictly English" sampler from Pipesandcigars.com that so far, I've liked everything.

Here's the one I made....

Old 08-19-2012, 07:12 PM   #4
Night is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Night's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Got a few Pete's, a Tinskey, Hardcastle, couple of MM's, a true Meer, and I made one from a Tinskey kit, and have the materials to make another from a Pimo kit.
I was more impressed with the Tinskey briar though... when I order a Plateaux for a freehand, I don't expect to get one that looks like a rock was laying right on the edge of the bowl. Going to have to trim off the top and hope it reveals a nice birds-eye.

Blend? No favorites. So far, I've never duplicated a purchase.
The only blends that I've not cared for were the cheap "drugstore" aromatics (smoke too wet), and I'm not a big fan of Two Friends English Chocolate. The taste is good, but the nicotine content it just too high, and I don't particularly care for the lingering room note. It just hits me as being "dark" and I'm not getting the chocolate from it.
It's not bad for a short smoke out of the smaller Meer bowl, but it's too much for the 60+ minute sessions from the briars.

I like Two Friends Celtic Mist, Peterson "Sherlock Holmes", and I picked up a "Strictly English" sampler from Pipesandcigars.com that so far, I've liked everything.

Here's the one I made....
takes a lot of talent to make a pipe and you defienitevly have it! very nice pipe.
are you more into english, virginias or aromatics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTaco View Post
Not a smoker but I do work at a cigar factory in Tampa FL.
what cigar company? pretty sweet job!
Old 08-19-2012, 07:20 PM   #5
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night View Post
takes a lot of talent to make a pipe and you defienitevly have it! very nice pipe.
Thanks!
It was a Tinskey kit and pre-drilled, so all I had to do was the final shaping and staining, then bend the stem.
I did screw up on the angle of the shank... that's what I get for following the penciled line and not putting a piece of drill rod into the block to verify the position and angle of the hole.

The kit itself was only something like $45, and another $20 for a multi-pack of stain from Tandy Leather. I was able to complete it in an afternoon.

Quote:
All I've smoked for the last 4 or 5 months has been English and I'm liking the more mild blends.
Aromatics, not so much. I find that they smell nice in the bag, but have little taste when smoked, and the room note is different still.
It's what everyone recommends to newbies, but I'm getting the opinion that the recommendation is from a less educated position.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:26 AM   #6
SpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SpruceTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night View Post

what cigar company? pretty sweet job!
I work at J.C. Newman Cigar Co.
Some of our brands are Cuesta Rey, Diamond Crown, Brick House, Julius Ceasar, El Baton, La Unica. We also distribute Fuente cigars.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:46 PM   #8

Night's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofiasdad11 View Post

I searched for pipe/cigar threads couldn't find any incorporating pipes.

What kind of perks do you get for working in a factory?