Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Chris 4x4 on Ship-in-a-bottle Building

Old 08-31-2012, 02:23 PM   #1
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Talking Chris 4x4 on Ship-in-a-bottle Building

I thought this was an interesting take on it.

A Step-By-Step Guide
to Building a Tiny Fucking Ship
Inside a Tiny
Fucking Bottle.

BY Colin Nissan (AKA, Chris 4x4)

- - - -
Building tiny fucking ships inside tiny fucking bottles has been a traditional maritime art form since the early 1800s, when sailors on lengthy voyages were in need of something to occupy their time at sea, and decided that frustrating the living fuck out of themselves would be that something.

This guide will teach you everything you need to know, from finding the right bottle with a tiny fucking opening, to making a tiny fucking boat, to jamming the tiny fucking boat into the tiny fucking opening.

Before you get started, make sure that you have a clean workspace and that there isnít a single other fucking thing youíd rather do besides this nautical disaster of a hobby.

First, you need to find a bottle. Any wine or liquor bottle will do. Some of you may be wondering if thereís some two-piece trick bottle thatís glued back together once the ship is inside. Thereís only one way into that bottle: the fucking hard way.

Next, youíre going to carve the shipís hull, keel and rudder out of wood, which is actually quite simple if youíre a professional fucking wood carver. If youíre not a professional wood carver, this will be really fucking difficult.

Now itís time to make the masts and booms out of toothpicks, then tie very fine wire around the ends of the toothpicks to act as hinges. This is also very easy, unless you have human hands, then it will be unbelievably fucking exasperating because everything youíre working with is fucking miniscule and dumb.

Remember to periodically hold the ship up against the outside of your bottle throughout the building process so you can keep tabs on how completely fucked youíre going to be.

Now youíre going to need to drill tiny holes through the masts. Quick recap; the masts are made out of toothpicks, so youíll need to drill a fucking hole through a fucking toothpickófucking twice. One helpful tip is to have several thousand extra toothpicks ready in case you donít nail this step right away.

Once youíve woven a line of thread through five drilled pin holes in the hull, whittled a bowsprit and attached two lines to it from the hull to the booms to the tops of the masts and another directly to the shrouds, then made sails out of tiny pieces of cloth and glued them all over the fucking place, itís time to simply fold the boat down on its hinges and push it through the bottle with a pair of long medical tweezers, then glue it into place and pull on the strings to hoist the sails.

Didnít work? Hmm, thatís weird. I wonder what twenty-five fucking things went wrong. Donít get discouraged, just smash the bottle over your own head as a lesson for leading the kind of life where this seemed like a good idea, then start over again.
Still not working? Strange. This time break the bottle in half like in an old western saloon and jab the jagged glass into your midsection a few times, while pondering the sixty additional hours of your life you just pissed away.

Eventually you wonít want to do this anymore and will place whatever the fuck you end up with on the mantle. At which point, itís time to sit back and admire your weird, limp-masted, S.S. Who Gives A Fuck, and relish your kindred bond with the brave seafaring artisans of yore who battled violent seas, crippling dysentery, and tiny fucking toothpicks to pave the way for this Bermuda fucking Triangle of crafts.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:28 PM   #2
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
y

o

u

r

e

o

f

f

y

o

u

r

m

e

d

s

a

g

a

i

n

i

c

a

n

s

e

e

Old 08-31-2012, 02:37 PM   #3
ɔoɯq
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
lol
Old 08-31-2012, 02:45 PM   #4
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=367_1346421409
Old 08-31-2012, 02:53 PM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I actually built a ship in a bottle not long ago. My parents got me a "kit", little did I realize at the time, they did it as a joke. Welp....After about 150 hours of actual work, 45 hours of swearing, and 100 hours of drinking.....I did it. It looks like shit, and I'll never do it again, but this dude pretty much sums it up.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:59 PM   #7
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
greatest

ever

of all time.
Better than the cat on a roomba swatting the dog. But a similar theme.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:00 PM   #8
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I actually built a ship in a bottle not long ago. My parents got me a "kit", little did I realize at the time, they did it as a joke. Welp....After about 150 hours of actual work, 45 hours of swearing, and 100 hours of drinking.....I did it. It looks like shit, and I'll never do it again, but this dude pretty much sums it up.
Were you drinking and unaware that you made a write up of how to do it?
Old 08-31-2012, 03:01 PM   #9

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Teh Jager...
Old 08-31-2012, 03:02 PM   #10
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
The guys write up omits a few things.....For example, WHen you aree trying to glu e the ship into the bottom of the bottle, and you pull the tweezers out of the bottle, thinking the ship stuck in place, but is actually now glued to the side of the bottle.........
Old 08-31-2012, 03:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
Teh Jager...
i got the move like jager....
Old 08-31-2012, 03:08 PM   #12
Blueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Blueberry's Tacoma Gallery
ROFL! Nice write up! Should be very helpful. Can't wait to get started on what will surely be my new favorite hobby!
Old 08-31-2012, 03:23 PM   #13
Bender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bender581's Tacoma Gallery
What about a ship in a 4 Runner.

This one took me 1100-1200 hours.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:27 PM   #14
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
I have no desire for this hobby.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:30 PM   #15

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender581 View Post
What about a ship in a 4 Runner.

This one took me 1100-1200 hours.
Cheating. The opening is too big.

Stick that in a Maker's bottle, and I 'll be impressed.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:46 PM   #16
I have to return some videotapes
JonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JonnyBb's Tacoma Gallery
S.S. Who Gives A Fuck....
Old 08-31-2012, 07:32 PM   #17

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Chris in Viet Nam at the model ship convention