Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Tree Climbing or rock climbing suggestions?

Old 09-05-2012, 08:18 AM   #1
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Tree Climbing or rock climbing suggestions?

This might be weird.... but ...thought I'd ask....this is about geocaching (treasure hunt)

There's a multiple stage geocache and the first stage is 45' up a tree that requires climbing gear. I wouldn't mind climbing up if I had the proper gear & knowledge. However - I'm not going to go out and buy gear and/or take a class just for this one geocache. That's expensive shit....and I really don't see myself doing this again anytime soon.

So - my question to you guys would be...... and because I'm clueless about the whole tree/rock climbing deal anyway - Are there 'outfitters' and/or guides you can pay for a day to take you places and climb things? Or do they only go to certain locations?

I don't really know anyone who climbs....or if there are other ways of tackling this sucker. It's out in the middle of State Game lands somewhere, you can't get a crane back there (laugh).

Any other thoughts? Wonder if I could find a lumber jack who could shimmy himself up there....(laugh)
Thanks!
Old 09-05-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
Banned
Streetsurfz727 is a glorious beacon of lightStreetsurfz727 is a glorious beacon of lightStreetsurfz727 is a glorious beacon of lightStreetsurfz727 is a glorious beacon of lightStreetsurfz727 is a glorious beacon of light
Streetsurfz727's Tacoma Gallery
Not only is climbing gear expensive, climbing is very dangerous especially if you don't know what your doing and double if its unsupervised. You need to have a good solid base knowledge for tying knots and how to use your body for leverage. I have heard of people offering seminars on how to learn to climb but I Imagine they are very expensive and time consuming. Tree climbers are work-a-hollics because they make a lot of money and you could probably find one to come climb this tree for a nominal fee on his off day. But at the same time they can also be really flaky. If it were me I would just buy a sling shot/wrist rocket and try and shoot what ever it is your trying to get out of the tree down from the ground.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:49 AM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetsurfz727 View Post
Not only is climbing gear expensive, climbing is very dangerous especially if you don't know what your doing and double if its unsupervised. You need to have a good solid base knowledge for tying knots and how to use your body for leverage. I have heard of people offering seminars on how to learn to climb but I Imagine they are very expensive and time consuming. Tree climbers are work-a-hollics because they make a lot of money and you could probably find one to come climb this tree for a nominal fee on his off day. But at the same time they can also be really flaky. If it were me I would just buy a sling shot/wrist rocket and try and shoot what ever it is your trying to get out of the tree down from the ground.
I wish it were that simple....but the item is probably 'tethered' to the tree and can't be removed. Plus - you have to put it back exactly where you got.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
First I derp.. then I herp
mntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Aaron
mntbiker2008's Tacoma Gallery
I am a climber and highly suggest taking classes. It is extremely dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. oh... and I have about 2k invested in to climbing gear. I know a few guys that are arborists and climb trees every day. If it is a live tree, you don't want to use spikes because of how much it damages the tree. This means there are a bunch of knots and roping techniques you would use to get up to where you need.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:47 AM   #5
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mntbiker2008 View Post
I am a climber and highly suggest taking classes. It is extremely dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. oh... and I have about 2k invested in to climbing gear. I know a few guys that are arborists and climb trees every day. If it is a live tree, you don't want to use spikes because of how much it damages the tree. This means there are a bunch of knots and roping techniques you would use to get up to where you need.
I would never go out there and do it without an experienced person and/or lessons. I don't plan on making this a hobby in itself....

I just need a 'GUIDE' whom would have the equipment, the knowledge, would be there the entire time, get me setup, navigate me to do it properly...

I only ever plan on doing this ONE TIME..... Unless of course, the GUIDE does an excellent job and gets us interested in becoming climbers. I wouldn't know if we like it without trying it first.....