1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone do CycloCross?

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by TeamSarcasm, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Sep 25, 2012 at 8:06 AM
    TeamSarcasm

TeamSarcasm [OP] Flawless Escalation to the Ludicrous

Member:
    The better coast
    This looks like a sweet sport and an awesome time as well! Once I get passed some medical stuff and back up to speed I would love to start doing this!

Anyone do this? and have pictures? Throw them up! :D

For the record, none of these are mine.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Sep 25, 2012 at 8:13 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
  3. Sep 25, 2012 at 8:22 AM
    TeamSarcasm

Member:
    The better coast
    Yeah basically a beef'd road bike so it doesn't snap. Slight geometric changes and can handle bigger/meatier tires.

I have been to that thread, I do road biking though so I felt out of place:anonymous: :p I do want to get into mtb stuff. School and work take up any time to I have to travel for trails :(

I think one of these bikes would be sweet though. I know they will never be a mountain bike, but for what it is I think these can do some light or medium trails. I'd be down to try it if I got one :D

4. Sep 25, 2012 at 8:27 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
  5. Sep 25, 2012 at 9:05 AM
    TeamSarcasm

Member:
    The better coast
    I'll give that a look when I get home! Thanks!

6. Sep 28, 2012 at 1:51 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    i have a Surly Cyclocross bike. a coworker and i did some mild off roading with them..

my bike doesnt have the extra set of brake levers in the middle of the drop handlebars..man, long downhills are exhausting having to stay near the brake levers..

personally, i just put on a set of gatorskin and keep it on the road now..i love the beefy feel of the bike. off road, i use my mountain bike.

7. Sep 28, 2012 at 2:06 PM
    logcabinwc

logcabinwc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    SF East Bay
    Vehicle:
    08 4d 4x4 White V6 TRD
    Old Man Emu 885s with Nitrocharged 90000, Bilstein 5100 in the back with AllPro 3 spring progressive AAL, 16 inch Baja Black 6-spoke alloy wheels, Flow Master exhaust, bed lights, Pioneer HD radio, Uniden CB Radio, K&N Air filter, BAMF Sliders w/kickout, Relentless Aluminum IFS Skid, 24 LED light bar, custom/homebuilt expedition style bed rack and basket combo, and Body Armor rear plate bumper.
    Havent done cyclocross but I would LOVE a cross bike.. been looking t them for a few years now but I just don't have the funds to invest in one. :/

8. Sep 28, 2012 at 4:34 PM
    TeamSarcasm

Member:
    The better coast
    I've been debating whether to get a cross bike or just a normal road bike. I'm on the fence about it. I have bent a few things on my previous road bike :anonymous: Choices choices :p

Have you ever raced it?
    You can pick up used ones for a decent price,but bikes are pricey, I regret selling mine now :frusty: But I guess that means a new bike :D

9. Sep 28, 2012 at 4:40 PM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Debadged, custom emblem, Husky liners, custom bedrail Yak Trak setup with load bars, , BakFlip Fibermax, OME 3" lift with LightRacing UCAs
    I've definitely considered checking it out. I just can't afford a fourth bike LOL.

10. Sep 28, 2012 at 4:47 PM
    Deuxdiesel

Deuxdiesel Well-Known Member

Member:
    SE MI
    Vehicle:
    '12 Silver Streak stocker
    MORE COWBELL!!!!

I live for it, but this is the second season in a row I've had to sit out. Double knee injury this year, neck and shoulder injury last year, but the year before that I was state champ in SSCX. Ahh, the glory days :(

11. Sep 28, 2012 at 4:53 PM
    TeamSarcasm

Member:
    The better coast
    That's pretty sweet! But that stinks about having to sit out. Ive been out of action for 8 or 9 months and after having a washboard of a stomach for the past 7 years or so i've acquired my first jelly roll :laugh:....:(

This might be a stupid question but how rough is it on your body?

12. Sep 29, 2012 at 4:04 AM
    Deuxdiesel

Deuxdiesel Well-Known Member

Member:
    SE MI
    Vehicle:
    '12 Silver Streak stocker
    Depending on what class you race (C,B,A etc) the race last anywhere from 30-60 minutes, so much shorter than a XC MTB race. However short it is, your heart rate is pegged from the start. The first lap is usually all out, you tend to die off a little in the second, and then slowly recover for the next 3-5 laps. I feel that technical skills are secondary to fitness, but there are some tactics and skills that can help with a race. The bikes are durable, but the risk of getting a pinch flat is pretty high (lower pressures ride way better, but you risk flats more), so most racers have a set of pit wheels or a "B" bike in the pits for mechanical issues. With the advent of tubeless technology, you can lower that risk, and the newest bikes are getting disc brakes, and both make for a better all-around bike. $1500 will get you a raceable CX bike with discs. There are a few DVD's that are fun to watch and give some insight- Pure Sweet Hell, Transition, Transition 2 and The Nine Ball Diaries. Also, the World CX Championships are in Kentucky, February 2013. Freezing, wet, sloppy, muddy icy and rainy conditions are the hallmark of CX, and makes for a badge of honor among racers.

Products Discussed in

To Top