Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Anyone do CycloCross?

Old 09-25-2012, 08:06 AM   #1
I bring the feel goods
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
Anyone do CycloCross?

This looks like a sweet sport and an awesome time as well! Once I get passed some medical stuff and back up to speed I would love to start doing this!

Anyone do this? and have pictures? Throw them up!

For the record, none of these are mine.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:13 AM   #2
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
so its road bikes in the dirt with some mad made obstacles?

Have you been in the "show off your mountain bike" thread yet?

its mostly a mtn bike bs thread now
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/spo...tain-bike.html
Old 09-25-2012, 08:22 AM   #3
I bring the feel goods
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yeah basically a beef'd road bike so it doesn't snap. Slight geometric changes and can handle bigger/meatier tires.

I have been to that thread, I do road biking though so I felt out of place I do want to get into mtb stuff. School and work take up any time to I have to travel for trails

I think one of these bikes would be sweet though. I know they will never be a mountain bike, but for what it is I think these can do some light or medium trails. I'd be down to try it if I got one
Old 09-25-2012, 08:27 AM   #4
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Your in CA. there are TONS of trails out there!

check for trails here
http://www.trails.com/activities.aspx?area=10032
Old 09-25-2012, 09:05 AM   #5
I bring the feel goods

I'll give that a look when I get home! Thanks!
Old 09-28-2012, 01:51 PM   #6
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
i have a Surly Cyclocross bike. a coworker and i did some mild off roading with them..

my bike doesnt have the extra set of brake levers in the middle of the drop handlebars..man, long downhills are exhausting having to stay near the brake levers..

personally, i just put on a set of gatorskin and keep it on the road now..i love the beefy feel of the bike. off road, i use my mountain bike.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #7
logcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Micah
logcabinwc's Tacoma Gallery
Havent done cyclocross but I would LOVE a cross bike.. been looking t them for a few years now but I just don't have the funds to invest in one. :/
Old 09-28-2012, 04:34 PM   #8
I bring the feel goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
i have a Surly Cyclocross bike. a coworker and i did some mild off roading with them..

my bike doesnt have the extra set of brake levers in the middle of the drop handlebars..man, long downhills are exhausting having to stay near the brake levers..

personally, i just put on a set of gatorskin and keep it on the road now..i love the beefy feel of the bike. off road, i use my mountain bike.
I've been debating whether to get a cross bike or just a normal road bike. I'm on the fence about it. I have bent a few things on my previous road bike Choices choices

Have you ever raced it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by logcabinwc View Post
Havent done cyclocross but I would LOVE a cross bike.. been looking t them for a few years now but I just don't have the funds to invest in one. :/
You can pick up used ones for a decent price,but bikes are pricey, I regret selling mine now But I guess that means a new bike
Old 09-28-2012, 04:40 PM   #9
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
I've definitely considered checking it out. I just can't afford a fourth bike LOL.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:47 PM   #10
Deuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Deuxdiesel's Tacoma Gallery
MORE COWBELL!!!!

I live for it, but this is the second season in a row I've had to sit out. Double knee injury this year, neck and shoulder injury last year, but the year before that I was state champ in SSCX. Ahh, the glory days
Old 09-28-2012, 04:53 PM   #11
I bring the feel goods

That's pretty sweet! But that stinks about having to sit out. Ive been out of action for 8 or 9 months and after having a washboard of a stomach for the past 7 years or so i've acquired my first jelly roll ....

This might be a stupid question but how rough is it on your body?
Old 09-29-2012, 04:04 AM   #12
Deuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Deuxdiesel's Tacoma Gallery
Depending on what class you race (C,B,A etc) the race last anywhere from 30-60 minutes, so much shorter than a XC MTB race. However short it is, your heart rate is pegged from the start. The first lap is usually all out, you tend to die off a little in the second, and then slowly recover for the next 3-5 laps. I feel that technical skills are secondary to fitness, but there are some tactics and skills that can help with a race. The bikes are durable, but the risk of getting a pinch flat is pretty high (lower pressures ride way better, but you risk flats more), so most racers have a set of pit wheels or a "B" bike in the pits for mechanical issues. With the advent of tubeless technology, you can lower that risk, and the newest bikes are getting disc brakes, and both make for a better all-around bike. $1500 will get you a raceable CX bike with discs. There are a few DVD's that are fun to watch and give some insight- Pure Sweet Hell, Transition, Transition 2 and The Nine Ball Diaries. Also, the World CX Championships are in Kentucky, February 2013. Freezing, wet, sloppy, muddy icy and rainy conditions are the hallmark of CX, and makes for a badge of honor among racers.