1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Removing epoxy lacquer on a Saxophone

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by skb7527, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Nov 13, 2012 at 11:29 AM
    skb7527

skb7527 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    McKinney, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite Mica 4X4
    Goodyear Wrangler UltraTerrain AT tires with America Outlaw Sheriff wheels, Bilstein 5100s all the way around, OME coils, Toytech ICONS HD leafs, debadged, removed pin stipe, chopped tail pipe, weather tech floor mats, Leer color match topper, Toyota bed mat, homemade eight ball gear shifter and 4XInnovations weld on sliders
    I have a YTS-23 Yamaha tenor sax that my parents got me back in 86 and I just found out that Yamaha used a clear baked epoxy lacquer on it. I would like to try to remove the rest of the epoxy so it can continue to tarnish. I've looked online and have found a couple of chemicals and/or solvents that could be used, but I was wondering in anyone had a better idea... Thanks

2. Nov 14, 2012 at 11:42 PM
    jmg256

jmg256 Calmer than you are

Member:
    First Name:
    Al Tonter
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    Bilstein 5100 front/rear (front at .85), Hayden 678 Trans Cooler, 20% tint, Curt Hitch/Wiring Harness, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats (Black), Wet Okole Seat Covers (Black), Cooper Discoverer ATP 265/75/16, LED Map/Dome lights, ImMrYo bracket, Debadged, Extang Tuff Tonno.
    Media blasting

3. Nov 15, 2012 at 6:43 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Methyl Ethyl Keytone or Xylene might work. Wear gloves and work outdoors. Both are very flammable and will strip your hands in short order.
    You're going to have to strip everything for this to look right. It's going to ruin your pads, and strip all of the lube from the pins and springs. A complete tear down and rebuild is what you're looking at, IMHO.
    The work would be worth it, if you're up to the challenge.

4. Nov 19, 2012 at 7:12 AM
    skb7527

skb7527 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    McKinney, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite Mica 4X4
    Goodyear Wrangler UltraTerrain AT tires with America Outlaw Sheriff wheels, Bilstein 5100s all the way around, OME coils, Toytech ICONS HD leafs, debadged, removed pin stipe, chopped tail pipe, weather tech floor mats, Leer color match topper, Toyota bed mat, homemade eight ball gear shifter and 4XInnovations weld on sliders
    Thanks guys...I was hoping this could be done without having to completely disassemble the horn. Some of the laquer is coming off and I just want to "help" rest off....

Products Discussed in

To Top