LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Winter MTN Biking

Old 11-28-2012, 12:19 PM   #1
The109 is a glorious beacon of lightThe109 is a glorious beacon of lightThe109 is a glorious beacon of lightThe109 is a glorious beacon of lightThe109 is a glorious beacon of light
Navy:
Name: Joe
The109's Tacoma Gallery
Winter MTN Biking

I have a break coming up at the end of December and would like to go out west to do some mtn biking. I'd like to go to Fruita, CO and Moab, UT but am concerned it may be too cold/bad weather.

I'll keep an eye on the weather and make last minute adjustments but need a back-up plan. Would it be a better idea to go further south like Arizona? Does anyone have experience with the trails in Arizona and some suggestions for good winter trails?
Old 12-04-2012, 10:14 AM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
They do mountain bike races in the snow down the ski mountains up here. Man up
Old 12-04-2012, 10:22 AM   #5
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Got to do a mt bike ride in the snow a few yrs back, at night too. Double win!

Old 12-04-2012, 12:03 PM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughtaco View Post
I like that headlight. And I would so do a downhill mt bike run in the snow.
They're fun but the inevitable wipe outs hurt like hell
Old 12-04-2012, 12:18 PM   #8
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Haha I'll get some pics of my bike later tonight. Ride all year round in Alaska. It's a blast! My tires have more studs on them than most cars do. 296 carbide tipped studs per tire
Old 12-04-2012, 12:22 PM   #9
Madmartigan 333 is on a distinguished road
Name: Steve
Madmartigan 333's Tacoma Gallery
I live in Grand Junction (Fruita/Loma) and have been riding my bike every weekend. It is perfect weather!! I am currently working during the week outside of Moab and would say its been consistently cooler. Both are just fine for riding. Last winter I rode every month. It looks like its gonna be another one of those years. Let me know if you have anything i could help you out with.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #11
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbacher View Post
Haha I'll get some pics of my bike later tonight. Ride all year round in Alaska. It's a blast! My tires have more studs on them than most cars do. 296 carbide tipped studs per tire
sub'd

And we need more winter/night ride pics here.

Btw are there any good "affordable" studded winter tires available?
Old 12-04-2012, 05:56 PM   #13
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The only ones I've ever used are the Nokian Extreme 296's. The Hakkapelitas have 302 studs per tire and I believe a different tread pattern. Each set will cost you a little more than 200 bucks for two tires. But man are they solid. My Extremes are on their 6th year and show almost no signs of wear.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:40 PM   #15
Purveyor of Fun

http://www.rei.com/product/780245/no...d-tire-26-x-21

Search no more!
Old 12-05-2012, 06:42 AM   #16
The109 is a glorious beacon of lightThe109 is a glorious beacon of lightThe109 is a glorious beacon of lightThe109 is a glorious beacon of lightThe109 is a glorious beacon of light
Navy:
Name: Joe
The109's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmartigan 333 View Post
I live in Grand Junction (Fruita/Loma) and have been riding my bike every weekend. It is perfect weather!! I am currently working during the week outside of Moab and would say its been consistently cooler. Both are just fine for riding. Last winter I rode every month. It looks like its gonna be another one of those years. Let me know if you have anything i could help you out with.
Oh man I'm so jealous . I love that area, can't wait to take another vacation.

Thanks for the info! I'll keep an eye on the forecast and just man up and do it.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #17
Bicycles and Beer is on a distinguished road

Bicycles and Beer's Tacoma Gallery
if you can avoid the rain, moab or st george may be rideable.. check the local mtb. forums for trail conditions before going anywhere.