LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

BALL PYTHON: SNAKE EXPERT, HELP?

Old 12-27-2012, 03:00 PM   #41
Hub Master General
nj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kev
nj636's Tacoma Gallery
I've had numerous healthy snakes & reptiles over the years. Here's my advice on a few things. I will use PetSmart since it's probably local & accessible to you, but if you can.. support your local private pet store :

Heat & Humidity:
Flukers ceramic heat emitter, IMO best bang for $. Lasts longer than a heat bulb & puts off more heat.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo
Spray bottle/Mister, any spray bottle will do
Thermometer (hot side & cold side) & Hygrometer

Bedding:
Zoo Med makes great products, repti bark hold humidity and is easy to spot clean.

-Get a refuge because snakes need a hiding spot.
-Put a secure branch in there for a basking spot & hang out. If you have the room put one near the emitter & one on the cold side.
-water bowl on the cold side (less evaporation & to cool off)
- cover the screen top with plexiglass to maintain humidity
- books on the top to keep the snake in, they are escape artists

Ball's do not require UV lighting. If you are just using a strip light for display purposes keep it on a 12 hour on, 12 hour off schedule.

If you started out feeding it dead, then continue. Also feeding in a different enclosure isn't a bad idea. It gives you a chance to do the maintenance on the tank while the snake is out, and will not associate your hand in the tank with feeding time

Just my .02
Old 12-27-2012, 03:20 PM   #42
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj636 View Post
I've had numerous healthy snakes & reptiles over the years. Here's my advice on a few things. I will use PetSmart since it's probably local & accessible to you, but if you can.. support your local private pet store :

Heat & Humidity:
Flukers ceramic heat emitter, IMO best bang for $. Lasts longer than a heat bulb & puts off more heat.
Spray bottle/Mister, any spray bottle will do
Thermometer (hot side & cold side) & Hygrometer

Bedding:
Zoo Med makes great products, repti bark hold humidity and is easy to spot clean.

-Get a refuge because snakes need a hiding spot.
-Put a secure branch in there for a basking spot & hang out. If you have the room put one near the emitter & one on the cold side.
-water bowl on the cold side (less evaporation & to cool off)
- cover the screen top with plexiglass to maintain humidity
- books on the top to keep the snake in, they are escape artists

Ball's do not require UV lighting. If you are just using a strip light for display purposes keep it on a 12 hour on, 12 hour off schedule.

If you started out feeding it dead, then continue. Also feeding in a different enclosure isn't a bad idea. It gives you a chance to do the maintenance on the tank while the snake is out, and will not associate your hand in the tank with feeding time

Just my .02
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!

it is much appreciated!
Old 12-27-2012, 04:06 PM   #43
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
A healthy ball python can eat quite a bit - they have a tendency to get chubby. For some reason, my ball python was more sensitive to correct humidity levels than any other snake I had. When the humidity got too low, it would get 'flaky' skin issues and lose appetite.

+1 on the suggestion for a ceramic heating element.

You should never leave your snake alone with live prey. I personally never had a snake strike at me and I always fed in the snake's primary tank.

Good luck - snakes are awesome pets and are easy to care for. I'd get another one if my wife wasn't so creeped out by the idea.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:35 AM   #44
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguins_cc View Post
A healthy ball python can eat quite a bit - they have a tendency to get chubby. For some reason, my ball python was more sensitive to correct humidity levels than any other snake I had. When the humidity got too low, it would get 'flaky' skin issues and lose appetite.

+1 on the suggestion for a ceramic heating element.

You should never leave your snake alone with live prey. I personally never had a snake strike at me and I always fed in the snake's primary tank.

Good luck - snakes are awesome pets and are easy to care for. I'd get another one if my wife wasn't so creeped out by the idea.
thanks!

yeah im thinking my issue has to be the humidity. im getting one after pay day