Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Craft Beer Lover's Unite

Old 01-16-2013, 12:22 AM   #1
buffalojay is on a distinguished road

buffalojay's Tacoma Gallery
Craft Beer Lover's Unite

Searched to see if I could find some craft beer lovers among the Taco crowd, and didn't find a thread so I'm making one. Post reviews, and pics of your favorite craft beers or post your 5 dream taps . Here in my NM we are pretty blessed with having a great selection of brews from CO, UT, TX, AZ, CA, and MT. Probably a lot more but isnt that the best part about craft beers? Always something new to try! So lets see what everyone's drinkin' CHEERS!

5. Left Hand Brewing- Milk Stout

4. Marble Brewing- Marble Red

3. Rio Grande Brewing- Desert Pilsner

2. Equinox Brewing- Borealis Winter Ale (Seasonal)

1. La Cumbre Brewing- Elevated IPA (MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE!!)
Old 01-16-2013, 12:32 AM   #2
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Stone products . I really enjoy 90% of them .
Old 01-16-2013, 12:37 AM   #3
Dexter319 is on a distinguished road
Name: Kevin
Dexter319's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely love craft beers. Moved up to Davis, California recently which is really close to a bunch of great breweries (Sierra Nevada, Lagunitas, Russian Rivers, Anchor Steam, Bear Republic to name my favorites). I'm getting pretty spoiled though with Pliny the Elder on tap and during happy hour $3 a pint, it's a steal. It's also semi-easy to find at local liquor stores and the beer shop here in town. I'm a big fan of double IPAs so here is my list of top 5 but definitely trying to branch out.

1. Pliny the Younger (Had it once on tap, wish I could find it again)
2. Pliny the Elder
3. Ballast Point Sculpin
4. Bear Republic Racer 5
5. Sierra Nevada Celebration (Great winter IPA with piney notes)

Here is what I currently have in my fridge: St. Bernadus Abt 12, Rodenbach Grand Cru, Lagunitas Lil Sumpin' Wild Ale, Balast Point Sculpin IPA, and a couple Sierra Nevada Torpedos for a cheaper craft beer but solid nonetheless.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:49 AM   #4
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Here's a thread:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gre...talk-beer.html

I'm a non-hoppy kinda drinker. My husband and I enjoy going to the local pubs and trying out the new stuff.

My favorite brewing company so far, is Linenkugal. I've enjoyed everything we've tried that they make and I've almost had them all (availability). Berry Weis is my current favorite. I like their Snowdrift Vanilla Porter (seasonal) - I've been wanting to buy a case of this but I can't find it!!!

There are sooooo many craft beers now....and I've tried a lot...too many to list what I consider most liked. Some beers are just enjoyable to drink at the pubs (one or two at a time) while others are enjoyable enough to buy a case.

If you have a smart phone - there's an App called BrewGene http://www.brewgene.com/
We use this to keep track of all the beers we've tried and we rate them accordingly.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:25 AM   #5
sammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
I've always loved craft brews and I live in N CO now and Im in beer Heaven. I've tried a lot and even different typed Ive never had before.

Odell 90 Shilling, Laughing Lab, Great Divide are all good beers. Hibernation Ale was great. This weekend I plan on trying Breck Brew and Avery. I tried Tommyknocker 12 pak mixer and it was terrible. Wont every buy that crap again. Not a fan of New Belgium either.

I prefer hefeweizen and Belgium wit beers. Sierra Nevada has an excellent hefe. I dont like the hoppy beers that much either. Maybe just 1 at a time.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:29 AM   #6
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Oh I love me some craft brews. i have a store near me with 18 fridges of 22's it's like heaven. My everyday beers are Sierra Nevada anything, Lagunitas IPA And Mission street IPA if I'm at TraderJoe's
Old 01-16-2013, 10:46 AM   #7
bluedust is on a distinguished road
Name: Patrick
bluedust's Tacoma Gallery
Anderson Valley has some great brews.
If anyone is in the Pittsburgh area stop at the Blue Dust 26 taps all crafts.
You can also check out our web site to see what on.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:49 AM   #8
sammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbondi View Post
Anderson Valley has some great brews.
If anyone is in the Pittsburgh area stop at the Blue Dust 26 taps all crafts.
You can also check out our web site to see what on.
Things I dont miss about the Burgh
1. No alcohol sales on Sunday
2. Can only buy cases of beer

Id never be able to sample all the beers I want to. Although a great place for beer is the Church Brew works, good food there too.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #9
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
I wish we could start a TW beer exchange. I would love to try some of the stuff from the west coast and Colorado. My go to is long trail, vermont has some great craft beers, otter creek, switchback, magic hat. One of my other favorites is dogfish head.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:53 AM   #10

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmb31 View Post
I wish we could start a TW beer exchange. I would love to try some of the stuff from the west coast and Colorado. My go to is long trail, vermont has some great craft beers, otter creek, switchback, magic hat. One of my other favorites is dogfish head.
I swear a new brewery opens up every other week up here. Most dont bottle their beer, im not sure how good of a business model that is. Some are pretty good but a lot are meh. I wish some would bottle, Grimm brothers and Coopersmiths make excellent beer but they dont bottle.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:59 AM   #11
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
Oh I love me some craft brews. i have a store near me with 18 fridges of 22's it's like heaven. My everyday beers are Sierra Nevada anything, Lagunitas IPA And Mission street IPA if I'm at TraderJoe's
Gatta love IPAs
Old 01-16-2013, 01:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter319 View Post
Definitely love craft beers. Moved up to Davis, California recently which is really close to a bunch of great breweries (Sierra Nevada, Lagunitas, Russian Rivers, Anchor Steam, Bear Republic to name my favorites). I'm getting pretty spoiled though with Pliny the Elder on tap and during happy hour $3 a pint, it's a steal. It's also semi-easy to find at local liquor stores and the beer shop here in town. I'm a big fan of double IPAs so here is my list of top 5 but definitely trying to branch out.

1. Pliny the Younger (Had it once on tap, wish I could find it again)
2. Pliny the Elder
3. Ballast Point Sculpin
4. Bear Republic Racer 5
5. Sierra Nevada Celebration (Great winter IPA with piney notes)

Here is what I currently have in my fridge: St. Bernadus Abt 12, Rodenbach Grand Cru, Lagunitas Lil Sumpin' Wild Ale, Balast Point Sculpin IPA, and a couple Sierra Nevada Torpedos for a cheaper craft beer but solid nonetheless.

Definetaly love the DIPA's. Im quite jealous of all the delicious beer up there in Northern CA. I went ot SF to visit a cousin, and wow too many breweries to get to on a 3 day little trip . Have you tried Drakes Hopocolypse Double IPA? Very hoppy and extremely tasty! A must try
Old 01-16-2013, 01:02 PM   #13

My cousin who's a real beer geek just mentioned that app to me as well as this one called Untappd. It's pretty cool! kinda like a social network for beer geeks lol!
Old 01-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
I've always loved craft brews and I live in N CO now and Im in beer Heaven. I've tried a lot and even different typed Ive never had before.

Odell 90 Shilling, Laughing Lab, Great Divide are all good beers. Hibernation Ale was great. This weekend I plan on trying Breck Brew and Avery. I tried Tommyknocker 12 pak mixer and it was terrible. Wont every buy that crap again. Not a fan of New Belgium either.

I prefer hefeweizen and Belgium wit beers. Sierra Nevada has an excellent hefe. I dont like the hoppy beers that much either. Maybe just 1 at a time.

Belgian wits are a real aquired taste. Idk why I can never get into them. Any you'd recommend? If your feeling up to trying an IPA see if you get La Cumbre Elevated IPA. It's absolutely delcious! The body, smell, and all around flavor of it! Just a great IPA. Or start with a Pale Ale and work your way up. Thats what I did and now I can never go back.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post

Have you been to Beer Revolution in Oakland?! If you havent def try to make it over there they have a crazy amount of beers in Fridges, and like 60 taps that they change out with new craft beers from all over the world like every week or something. I went when I was visiting family. IT WAS AMAZING!!!
Old 01-16-2013, 01:11 PM   #16

Quote:

That would be an awesome idea. We dont see many beers from Vermont or anywhere on the east coast out here in the southwest. Ive only been able to try Dogfish Head once when I was in NYC. Really enjoyed it!
Old 01-16-2013, 01:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalojay View Post
That would be an awesome idea. We dont see many beers from Vermont or anywhere on the east coast out here in the southwest. Ive only been able to try Dogfish Head once when I was in NYC. Really enjoyed it!
What did you have? 60 minute IPA?
Is it illegal to ship beer? It would probably have to be packaged really well so bottle don't break.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:34 PM   #18
tacomatx is on a distinguished road

Name: Sambeux
tacomatx's Tacoma Gallery
any of yall on untapped? its a great app to share and discover craft beers! if so feel free to add me sambeaux

here's my top 5 winter brews!
1) Milk Stout (left hand brewing)
2) Winter Warmer (rahr & sons)
3) Winter Stout (saint arnold)
4) Obsidian Stout (dechutes brewery)
5) Buried Hatchet (southern start brewing)
Old 01-16-2013, 02:37 PM   #19

Quote:
What did you have? 60 minute IPA?
Is it illegal to ship beer? It would probably have to be packaged really well so bottle don't break.
Yeah it was the 60 minute IPA. I really liked it I Heard they do an Imperial IPA thats the 120 minute IPA? I also heard their pumpkin or fall seasonal is really good! I dont think its illegal but I could be wrong. Ill have to check. yeah def. need some peanuts in that thing or something haha
Old 01-16-2013, 02:39 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomatx View Post
any of yall on untapped? its a great app to share and discover craft beers! if so feel free to add me sambeaux

here's my top 5 winter brews!
1) Milk Stout (left hand brewing)
2) Winter Warmer (rahr & sons)
3) Winter Stout (saint arnold)
4) Obsidian Stout (dechutes brewery)
5) Buried Hatchet (southern start brewing)

I am! I'll def be adding you! Always looking for new people to follow. Quality choice with that Milk Stout! Have you had the Nitro Milk Stout? Ill have to look for that Buried Hatchet. Have yet to try them do you know if you can get it in NM?