Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Should I get: Road bike or Cross bike?

Old 01-25-2013, 08:03 PM   #1
logcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Micah
logcabinwc's Tacoma Gallery
Should I get: Road bike or Cross bike?

So I'm torn. I would like a new bike after this year as a commuter/fun/workout bike. I currently have a single speed freewheel road bike that I love (and it was free!) but I want some gears now! I would probably get the bike in about 6-12 months, and my budget is around a $1000-$1500.
When I ride I'm mostly on pavement, but I do jump curbs, hit some gravel, would love to be able to get onto some hard trails without cringing, and I generally ride pretty hard. Hard enough that I've bent a few wheels just riding to class!

So any help would be great. I really think a cross bike would be the best for me, but I would love all of your opinions.
Here are a few bikes I have been looking at. Please, if you think a brand or bike is not that great, let me know!!!

Specs I think would be great:
3x8/9 speed
disc brakes?
normal drop bar brake handles + flat bar brake handles combo (only on a few bikes have these though)
definitely holes for fenders for wet seasons

And now for the bikes I've been looking at, in no particular order:

Cross Bikes:
Fuji Cross 2.1

$1100

Raleigh RX 1.0

~$1500

Raleigh RX 2.0

~$1500

Trek CrossRip

~$1100

Cannondale CAADX SORA

$1100

Ridley X Bow

$1200? Hard to find a price

Specialized TriCross Sport Disc Compact

$1300

Specialized TriCross Sport Triple

$1200

Specialized TriCross

$1000

Felt F75X

$1500

Now for the Road Bikes
Trek 1 Series
1.5- $1240

1.2- $1000

1.1- $740

Fuji Sportif Series:
Sportif 1.7C -$640

Sportif 1.5C- $780

Sportif 1.3C -$890

Sportif 1.1C- $1100

Felt Z Series:
Z100- $810

Z95- $940

Z85- $1350

Opinions? Comments? Suggestions? More to add to the list?! Let me know!
Thanks!
Old 01-25-2013, 08:21 PM   #3
nelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Neil
nelztaco's Tacoma Gallery
I would go with one of the disc brake options. Disc brakes and drop bars are awesome and relatively new. I like steel myself. The Surly Cross Check has sort of a cult following. I have two Surlys a cross check I had custom powder coated orange and a moonlander. If the cross check ever gets disc brakes, I will be one of the first in line to buy one.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:26 PM   #4
logcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

^ How is the moonlander?!
I've aalllllways wondered how those ride...
What kind of terrain do you use it in?
Old 01-25-2013, 08:38 PM   #5
I bring the feel goods
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZmJtYaUTa0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z1fSpZNXhU

Get a road bike and stronger wheels

I was torn to but when I thought about it, and I don't have time to utilize a cross bike. I also am in no shape and don't have many places for a cross bike to be useful.

I might get one later on, but if you are looking to hit some hard trail get a road for now and save up for a mountain bike.

Also, wait until the end of the year to get a bike if you are going to wait anyways. Late october-november/december is the time. I picked up a 1100 cannondale synapse for 700. I almost got a 1450 synapse for 750$ do to model year end sales, but I wasnt thinking and thought i'd save a few bucks

If its worth anything I like my 3x9 drive train. Ratehr have it adn not need it then the other way around. I have never had to use the 1st gear on the crank though so take what you want form it my next bike will be a 2x8 or something.

As far as disc breaks....they sweak...alot. I like v brakes, even if discs are "better" both will stop you just fine. And v brakes are much easier to work with, not to mention cheaper. And there is a reason why the pro's use v brakes.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:25 PM   #6

ya I just talked to someone tonight who has discs on his bike... and he said they squeak like crazzzy. And V's are easier to work on and what I'm used to. So I'll probably go with those.

And those videos are AMAZING. Holy crap..
Old 01-25-2013, 10:45 PM   #7
LensCap
92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92shawman's Tacoma Gallery
Nice tires will help with the gravel and stuff, too.
I have disc brakes on my mountain bike back home and they stop you really quickly. I'd imagine that on the light road bikes it might be too much stopping power, but I have no idea. They're really not that different from caliper/v brakes, unless you get the hydrolic lines, so don't let that sway you too much.
Oh, and for the flat bar brakes, you can buy those separately if you want (like $50 for nice in-line brakes or about $15 for the old style like on your girlfriend's bike) and they're pretty easy to install.
but yeah...gears are nice

Oh, and I have some friends that are really into road bikes that I can talk to or connect you with if you want.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:54 PM   #8
I bring the feel goods
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Also if you're using the bike to commute I suggest getting two of the fat kryptonite u-bolt locks. They are pricey but will probably prevent your bike from being stolen. I have seen the master bolt locks cut before. I work at my campus police station and have seen many bikes in the the 4 digits get stolen.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:59 PM   #9
LensCap
92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamSarcasm View Post
Also if you're using the bike to commute I suggest getting two of the fat kryptonite u-bolt locks. They are pricey but will probably prevent your bike from being stolen. I have seen the master bolt locks cut before. I work at my campus police station and have seen many bikes in the the 4 digits get stolen.
This.
Going to Davis, pretty much everyone that knows how frequently bikes or bike parts are stolen has a kryptonite u-lock.
I would definitely go with 2 fat ones or one fat small one (like the new york one) and one big one that you can lock to stuff without having to use a cable. The cable is definitely the weakest link. One of my friends had a cable lock and came out to her bike with the cable partially cut through. The person was probably at it right when she came out and had to bail. It was so close to breaking that one of her friends was able to just pull it apart with his hands to break it...talk about good timing!
Old 01-25-2013, 11:48 PM   #10

Ya seriously! Locks.. I have an On Guard lock.. Cost me 80 I think. Pretty sturdy!
What are your guys' opinion on those beeeefy chain locks? Like this..
Whenever I'm home my bike is inside my apartment, and I don't think has been outside overnight in over a year! Bike theft is just soooo common in Davis, as I know Kevin knows. One of my friends has had 4 bikes stolen here.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:52 PM   #11

Oh and in the video above, the second one, he's riding a raleigh, which makes me feel good because the bike I am most drawn to above is the green Raleigh RX 1.0.
I'm NOT one for flashy stuff or wild colors but that thing makes me wanna ride her alllll day long....

just sayin'..

and this is my current ride:
Old 01-26-2013, 06:38 AM   #12
I bring the feel goods

Those locks get cut as well. They cut the fabric off and smash or cut the chain. And with a new bike like the ones you're looking at, thieves will be willing to work for it. His locks are a hassle to carry around also.

If you wanted to keep your bike, I'm about to pull off my shifters and rear derailer. All you would need if a front derailed, chain, cassette and crank stuff and you'd be set. Would be much cheaper
Old 01-26-2013, 07:06 AM   #13
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ya I just talked to someone tonight who has discs on his bike... and he said they squeak like crazzzy. And V's are easier to work on and what I'm used to. So I'll probably go with those.

There are a few reasons why his disc brakes are squeaking but if you are going to be riding in different weather conditions nothing beats a disc brake.

Your planned type of riding I wouldn't even be thinking about a road bike. I think a cyclocross or a hybrid would be more to your liking.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:17 AM   #14
LensCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamSarcasm View Post
Those locks get cut as well. They cut the fabric off and smash or cut the chain. And with a new bike like the ones you're looking at, thieves will be willing to work for it. His locks are a hassle to carry around also.

If you wanted to keep your bike, I'm about to pull off my shifters and rear derailer. All you would need if a front derailed, chain, cassette and crank stuff and you'd be set. Would be much cheaper
Wouldn't the wheel be too wide to fit in his current frame if he added a cassette? I had that thought, too, but I dismissed it because I thought that the frame wouldn't work.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:53 AM   #15
I bring the feel goods

good catch, forgot about that. I guess it depends on what kind of frame it is and if stuff was chopped off it for the single speed
Old 01-26-2013, 09:37 AM   #16
DCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines:
DCGirl's Tacoma Gallery
My brother is in Berkeley and had his wheels, seat and post stolen. The one day he decided not to chain up his wheels. He uses a kryptonite fahgettaboutit lock on his frame, that was still there. I have seen quite a few stripped bikes just visiting him. So definitely invest in good locks.

I was debating with the cross bike vs road bike issue myself before I ended up getting my Cannondale synapse 5. One of the best I have ever ridden because I won't dare try a more expensive bike for fear of falling in love

Also, if you haven't, try test riding them. I tried multiple bikes until the cannondale synapse felt like a glove! I had a fuji newest 1.0 for a while but it just wasn't feeling right, my bum would go numb within 15 minutes
even with cycling shorts and properly adjusted seat. With the synapse the problem went away. It even felt right as soon as I got on.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:51 AM   #17
Senor Taco
Mademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Mademan925's Tacoma Gallery
I currently have a carbon fuji road bike before I had a carbon trek but it was stolen. They were both great bikes. I ride about 100 miles a week. I need a road bike I stay on the road. Road bike really dont do well on sidewalks, curbs, gravel, or dirt. If you do ride on those serfaces you will crack your frame, constantly get flats, and need monthly wheel trueing. Cross bikes usually wiegh more and have stronger frames. The tires also have more tred so you will get less flats. I think you should go with the cross. I recomend getting a fuji or trek.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:28 PM   #18
DCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines:
DCGirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mademan925 View Post
Road bike really dont do well on sidewalks, curbs, gravel, or dirt. If you do ride on those serfaces you will crack your frame, constantly get flats, and need monthly wheel trueing. Cross bikes usually wiegh more and have stronger frames. The tires also have more tred so you will get less flats. I think you should go with the cross. I recomend getting a fuji or trek.
For the riding you wanna do Mademan925 has a good point.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:36 PM   #19
nelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Neil
nelztaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by logcabinwc View Post
^ How is the moonlander?!
I've aalllllways wondered how those ride...
What kind of terrain do you use it in?
Haha! The moonlander is awesome, but I just can't find the time to get out there on the trails, so I use it for just riding around! I did use it on the beach on summer vacation at the shore and only a fat bike could do that! The one time I had it out at core creek park I got lost. The bike is more capable than I am. A better rider would have gone right over things I stopped for.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:29 PM   #20

ya I think I will definitely test ride all some bikes before I buy. I'll probably go around to some of the many bike shops here in Davis (I think there are about 6.. never bothered to count them all) and then maybe go to Sac to Mike's Bikes or something.
I'm pretty set on a cross bike now. I really think that would be the best thing. The bike I have now I've already started a crack in the fork that I need to take care of...
TeamSarcasm- I was looking at my bike and comparing to a few others.. the back width is too narrow to throw anything else in... but thanks!

And thank you to all who have given input! I really really do appreciate it!

Oh and by the way my bike pictured above is a "Toto". Then last year I painted it.
I know nothing about the company, and I tried to research them a while ago when I first got it but found nothing.
Anyone ever heard of them?