Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Amateur (Ham) Radio BS and Callsign Thread!

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-17-2013, 10:42 PM   #181
Desert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bill
Desert Drifter's Tacoma Gallery
I take my Technician Exam on April 27 and am going to try for the General Class at the same time.
I do not have a transceiver yet because I really do not know what I want yet. I am thinking a 2 meter rig is good and will meet my needs. What more would a dual band radio do for me in an off-road rig?

Newbie questions, I know....
Old 04-17-2013, 10:46 PM   #182
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Drifter View Post
I take my Technician Exam on April 27 and am going to try for the General Class at the same time.
I do not have a transceiver yet because I really do not know what I want yet. I am thinking a 2 meter rig is good and will meet my needs. What more would a dual band radio do for me in an off-road rig?

These guys are out of Arizona and will more then answer your questions!
http://www.4x4ham.com
Old 04-18-2013, 04:28 AM   #183
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

VHF does better in the Mts I would have a look at the repeaters in your area first and see what they are using (vhf or uhf) you can buy higher powered VHF ruggedized 2 meter radios I think Icom has a 75 watt one that MIGHT help you reach a repeater when a 50 might not make it. A duel band gives you a lot more flexibility for simplex with your friends out for a ride just a lot more frequencies for short distance stuff and you'll be able to use more repeaters in town. The only other reason would be public service monitoring if itís something your into.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:09 AM   #184
Desert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
I appreciate the replies gentlemen. I am in the learning phase on this topic and will find out more as far as frequecies used locally, etc. BEFORE I settle on a VHF only or a dual band radio.

Thanks Again,
Desert Drifter
Old 04-18-2013, 07:30 AM   #185
N7MCS
Chipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31R, HHB, 2/43 ADA Battalian, 108th ADA Brigade, XVIII Airborne Corps
Name: Chip
Chipskip's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I appreciate the replies gentlemen. I am in the learning phase on this topic and will find out more as far as frequecies used locally, etc. BEFORE I settle on a VHF only or a dual band radio.

Thanks Again,
Desert Drifter
on 4x4ham.com, you can download a list of the local repeaters. Also check out the Arizona Repeater Association's website.

I was lurking with a Wuoxon HT for the last year. I have learned a lot by just listening to other talk. Finally bought a FT-8800r for my truck. If you are in the Phoenix area, there is the a lot of 2m and 70cm repeaters. They just finished a major link between 4 repeaters, covers the whole valley. Also the white tanks repeater is usually very busy.

I plan on taking my General at the 4x4ham.com's ARRL Field Day in June.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:45 AM   #186
Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:53 AM   #188
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
The Traveler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcharias View Post
Still unable to get someone to respond to me. I did JUST notice at this moment that I'm transmitting on a different frequency when the button gets pushed. What is that called? Is that my problem?
That's the repeater offset. The repeater receives the signal from one freq. and sends it out on another, allowing for simultaneous TX/RX.

Where abouts do you live? And which freq. are you on?
Old 04-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #190
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I live in Studio City, and will have to check freqs later. I think one channel I was listening is 147.350, but it would transmit on 147.900. How the heck could anyone ever hear me if it transmits on a different freq?? I need to study more.... grrrr....
LOL stay off 147.350 and 147.500...that's renegade radio and those guys will block your freq. and rip you to shreds. The FCC literally denies their existence.

Try 147.090. That's the Catalina repeater, and if you're licensed just state your callsign and ask for a signal report. Somebody will usually come back and give you a report. I usually monitor that repeater.

Quote:
Without having an offset between the transmit signal and the receive signal frequency, the repeater would simply hear itself when it was transmitting on the same frequency it was listening on!
Therefore, to use a repeater a user must use a different transmit frequency than receive frequency. Your actual transmit frequency is the exact same one that the repeater receiver is listening on. This is a form of duplex, or two frequency operation. It is known as half-duplex as you do not receive and transmit at the same time but normally use the push-to-talk button on your microphone to switch between the two. Cell phones use full duplex so each party can hear the other while the other is talking.
Even with the offset, the two frequencies are close enough that some isolation is required. Again, this isolation is done by the Duplexer. So you can see why some repeater components interact with each other and without the basic system components....nothing would work.
2 meter repeater offset is 600kHz, so the freq that shows up when you key up is usually 600kHz off from the freq. you're listening on.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:10 AM   #191
No longer anonymous. D'oh!
carcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
carcharias's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post
LOL stay off 147.350 and 147.500...that's renegade radio and those guys will block your freq. and rip you to shreds. The FCC literally denies their existence.

Try 147.090. That's the Catalina repeater, and if you're licensed just state your callsign and ask for a signal report. Somebody will usually come back and give you a report. I usually monitor that repeater.

2 meter repeater offset is 600kHz, so the freq that shows up when you key up is usually 600kHz off from the freq. you're listening on.
Ha! I forgot about 147.350!! That's why I left it on... dang. They're pretty hilarious!

So the offset isn't what's doing it at all then, huh? Seems like it's automatic.

I'll try 147.090 at lunch since I'm down in Santa Monica.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:15 AM   #192
N7MCS
Chipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Ha! I forgot about 147.350!! That's why I left it on... dang. They're pretty hilarious!

So the offset isn't what's doing it at all then, huh? Seems like it's automatic.

Make sure you have the right PL/CTCSS tone set otherwise the repeater wont pick you up. DO you have ability to program the radio via software? That is the best way to make sure you have everything configured properly. I got my repeater list from a 4x4ham.com for my area, someone had uploaded all the info and I was able to just tweak it for my immediate area and upload it to my radio.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:17 AM   #193
REBELTACO

Quote:

Just PM'ed you my cell phone number. Text me when you're gonna go out and try, and I'll get on my radio to see if I hear ya.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #194
REBELTACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipskip View Post
Make sure you have the right PL/CTCSS tone set otherwise the repeater wont pick you up. DO you have ability to program the radio via software? That is the best way to make sure you have everything configured properly. I got my repeater list from a 4x4ham.com for my area, someone had uploaded all the info and I was able to just tweak it for my immediate area and upload it to my radio.
Most radios come out of the box ready to use on the local repeaters here...at least mine and 3 other people I know with hams were like that.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:30 AM   #195
No longer anonymous. D'oh!
carcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
carcharias's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipskip View Post
I do NOT have the software since it's PC only. Folks at HRO said it was a lot easier to program w/ software, and looked at me cross-eyed when I said I don't have a PC. My ham is Yaesu ft-8900r. What's yours? I'll check out the manual when I get home, but is setting PL/CTCSS easy? Wouldn't I simply be able to tune in a frequency and go car-to-car, or does everything have to go through a repeater?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post
Just PM'ed you my cell phone number. Text me when you're gonna go out and try, and I'll get on my radio to see if I hear ya.
Alright, will do! Thanks!
Old 04-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #196
REBELTACO

I have the Yaesu FT2900-R, so the only difference is mine is a single band, and yours is quad band.

You can use just radio to radio communication called "simplex". But your range will be dependent on how much power the radios are putting out, and the signal strength and location of the antennas. My setup will operate on simplex with a range of about 20 miles if the conditions are right.

But I can hit the Catalina repeater from the desert.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:01 PM   #197
N7MCS

Quote:
I do NOT have the software since it's PC only. Folks at HRO said it was a lot easier to program w/ software, and looked at me cross-eyed when I said I don't have a PC. My ham is Yaesu ft-8900r. What's yours? I'll check out the manual when I get home, but is setting PL/CTCSS easy? Wouldn't I simply be able to tune in a frequency and go car-to-car, or does everything have to go through a repeater?

Alright, will do! Thanks!
DO you have a Mac or Linux machine or are you living computer free?
Old 04-24-2013, 12:23 PM   #199
N7MCS

I use a Mac too.

Chirps is free and considered one of the best software out there (win/OSX/Tux). They support a metric butt load of radios. So you can continue to use it as you expand your radio collection. I recently got a 8800 and it worked perfectly.

I got this cable from amazon because it has an FTDI chip, just google for the drivers and you will be all set.: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, if you are trying to hit a repeater you need to know what the PL tone is, each repeater sets this for their repeater and it wont pickup your signal without it. The 8800 and 8900 have the ability to listen to a channel and pickup the PL tone, so if you don't know it, that is a really cool feature.

I paid the $18 for the quick reference guide from HRO, it has helped me out a lot.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:26 PM   #200
N7MCS

Tone Search Scanning for 8900 on page 31:

http://www.repeater-builder.com/yvs/...ors-manual.pdf

Products Discussed in this Thread