Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Amateur (Ham) Radio BS and Callsign Thread!

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-02-2013, 03:57 AM   #241
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropicombustion View Post
OK now I know. If it has a power supply of some sort (driver) and it sounds like those lights are pretty fancy it most likely is a switching supply. They are electrically noisy. You can try a ferrate choke the easiest are a snap on one (has a little clip that allows you to open it). Wrap as many turns of the supply wire to the lights as you can and as close to the lights as you can around the choke and close the choke back together. Radio Shack has these things they may not know they have them but they do just look at the little drawers till you see something about chokes.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:49 PM   #245
kd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Henry
kd8bao's Tacoma Gallery
I have used the echolink app for iPhone. It works great. When traveling, you can always get back to your home repeater if equipped
Old 05-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #247
No longer anonymous. D'oh!
carcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
carcharias's Tacoma Gallery
Got RFinder and finally hooked up Echolink. Man, this ham stuff is serious!

Used Chrips and that usb cable to program the 8900. Jeez, that made it simple! Worst hangup was half the radio couldn't scan, the other was stuck on one station, couldn't flip back and forth between main radios, etc. Turned out I still had one end of the wire attached to the radio and it stopped everything from working correctly. Crazy.

Looks like RadioReference is the source list of every frequency, huh? Was hoping to tap into LAPD and such. M'eh.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:37 AM   #248
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcharias View Post
Looks like RadioReference is the source list of every frequency, huh? Was hoping to tap into LAPD and such. M'eh.
You can but not through your ham radio. (I'm making an assumption that LAPD is using trunked communication.) You would need a scanner like this Uniden Bearcat Digital Scanner.

Or you can use the app on your phone to stream the audio. Like this:

Old 05-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #249
TacoTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: tony
TacoTony's Tacoma Gallery
What does a HAm radio do? It sounds like cool stuff but not understanding the use of it
Old 05-09-2013, 01:32 PM   #250
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
The Traveler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tone33 View Post
What does a HAm radio do? It sounds like cool stuff but not understanding the use of it

JK, that's mean. It's a form of communication that has a longer range than a CB Radio, many more capabilities, and is more reliable than a cell phone. It's become more of a hobby these days rather than a commonly used form of day to day communication because of the invention of cell phones and internet.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:56 AM   #251
Desert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bill
Desert Drifter's Tacoma Gallery
KG7DDR here.

I have my Kenwood V71A set up as a base nit right now, but want to put this or another 2M/440 mhz radio in my Tacoma.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:42 PM   #252
carcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shed

So, reading one of the frequency books I purchased for SoCal, it mentions a list of frequs that are dedicated simplex. Have ya'll found this, too, or are you trying any open frequ? Still wondering why I wasn't able to reach another close-by truck, but half the problem seems to have been solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
You can but not through your ham radio. (I'm making an assumption that LAPD is using trunked communication.) You would need a scanner like this Uniden Bearcat Digital Scanner.

Or you can use the app on your phone to stream the audio. Like this:
Yes, trunked. That Bearcat is awesome! Wish I had $500 lying around. lol Thanks for the advice!
Old 05-14-2013, 04:45 AM   #253
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=carcharias;6882157]So, reading one of the frequency books I purchased for SoCal, it mentions a list of frequs that are dedicated simplex. Have ya'll found this, too, or are you trying any open frequ? Still wondering why I wasn't able to reach another close-by truck, but half the problem seems to have been solved.
The amateur ham band plan includes many simplex freqs. that do not fall into the repeater freqs. When you use a repeater you essentially are using two freqs. Simplex only one. Many people when they are far enough away will use the output freq. of their favorite repeater as simplex on low power so that they do not disturb other users, an often used simplex freq on 2 meters is 146.52. Unless you know that someone is on a simplex freq more often than not you will get no response most people donít seem to program anything other than repeater freqs into their radios to me it is refreshing to hear people on the listed simplex freqs. because that is why they are there so you can yack and not tie up the repeater. Public service radio will often use their repeater output freqs. as simplex on low power too.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:57 AM   #254

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineah View Post
The amateur ham band plan includes many simplex freqs. that do not fall into the repeater freqs. When you use a repeater you essentially are using two freqs. Simplex only one. Many people when they are far enough away will use the output freq. of their favorite repeater as simplex on low power so that they do not disturb other users, an often used simplex freq on 2 meters is 146.52. Unless you know that someone is on a simplex freq more often than not you will get no response most people donít seem to program anything other than repeater freqs into their radios to me it is refreshing to hear people on the listed simplex freqs. because that is why they are there so you can yack and not tie up the repeater. Public service radio will often use their repeater output freqs. as simplex on low power too.
NICE! Very interesting. Learning a lot of ham nuance here. Using the output freq makes sense, but I never thought of that. Hm. Well, cool! I have 146.52 programmed, as well as the 15 others and will be using them. Are these freqs usually isolated from repeaters in other states, too?

On a side note, I also received my GMRS callsign. Now I can use the basic Motorola Talkabouts! lol
Old 05-17-2013, 10:31 AM   #256
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
http://uflymike.com/products/amateur...crophones.html

Alot of our pilots are using the aviation version of these. Expensive, but badass. I think im going to pick one up for use in the truck.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:51 AM   #257
Law Enforcement:
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
http://uflymike.com/products/amateur...crophones.html

Alot of our pilots are using the aviation version of these. Expensive, but badass. I think im going to pick one up for use in the truck.
Check these out first built by a ham for hams. Lot less money and probibly better for ham use you pay dear for aviation stuff.
http://www.heilsound.com/amateur/products/headsets.php
Old 05-26-2013, 08:25 PM   #258
I think I'm getting the Fear.
MY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: CH53-E Crewchief/Mechanic, HMH-464
Name: Mojo
MY50cal's Tacoma Gallery

Hopefully I'll be all set up next month and have completed the test by then
Old 06-06-2013, 08:35 AM   #259
Thorny is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement:
Name: Dean
Thorny's Tacoma Gallery
Glad to find this thread. Thanks everyone for your insights!
Just began studying for the Tech license. Hopefully I will be taking the test first week in July.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:17 PM   #260
jeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
jeverich's Tacoma Gallery
KG7DVI

I'll be out in Hells Canyon, OR sometime this month.. Anyone monitor .520 that'll be in the area?

Products Discussed in this Thread