Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Amateur (Ham) Radio BS and Callsign Thread!

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-15-2013, 08:06 PM   #301
01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future

01TacoBuz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutRider View Post
KC4LRR here. Anyone got an Icom 7000 mounted in their truck ? Just got my truck last week and have not mounted a radio yet. may not - seems everyone around here runs a CB...
Go on and put it in the truck regardless if you have any locals to talk to or not, as you already know there`s plenty of us out here to talk to

I talk back and forth to work all over the world

I use my IC 7000 on the base, great little radios

IC 706MKIIG in the mobile, for HF Tarheel 75A with Ameritron SDC-102 controller and Hustler SF2 for 2M

I detached the faceplate and installed it in the cup holder area just in front of the center console and put the radio under passenger seat. It`s much better than having to install the entire radio up front

I can get you some pics in the next day or so if you want some antenna and radio install ideas etc. Just let me know

Ya gotta get that Taco on the air

By the way, reading through this thread, I see we have some Taco owners that are new Hams, Grats to all.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:44 AM   #302
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah with 13 cup and bottle holders I had no problem giving one up for my radio.
Attached Thumbnails
Amateur (Ham) Radio BS and Callsign Thread!-cup-holder.jpg  
Old 08-16-2013, 05:54 AM   #303
Somebody
OutRider is on a distinguished road

Name: RJ
OutRider's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys. I like the cup holder mount. I had the IC-7000 in my HHR with a Little Tarheel II and the SDC-102 controller. Comet 2m/440 mag mount. I also have a Kenwood TM-321 for 220MHz to get mounted somewhere. 220 is the Rebel band here in Middle Tennessee. Huntsville, AL hamfest is this weekend. That is GigaParts backyard so usually a good one. I may go look at mounts and antennas.

Like 1TacoBuz said - congrats to all you new Hams out there.

RJ
Out~Rider
KC4LRR
Old 08-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #304
01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future

01TacoBuz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineah View Post
Yeah with 13 cup and bottle holders I had no problem giving one up for my radio.
Yours looks good, I see you have 3 cup holders in center, where I only have 2

I did mine similar to yours, I just did`nt use a pedestal

I flush mounted mine longways on the top edge closest to the passenger seat, by doing so I did`nt lose use of cup holders, I see you use 1 of the cup holders as a place to lay mic, I do the same with my rear cup holder

Your install makes the most sense for your application, nice job

Old 08-19-2013, 06:14 AM   #305
Somebody
OutRider is on a distinguished road

Name: RJ
OutRider's Tacoma Gallery
Went to visit my FJ friend Sunday. He gave me a cup holder mount, pedestal and base that was extra to him. We got off-road a bit and tried out the 4H and 4L, A-TRAC... I am very impressed.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:27 AM   #306
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
Have any of you in So. Cal. listened to the PAPA Network? It covers So. Cal with a bunch of linked Icom repeaters. It's an open system. I've listened to it a few times but I found that most of the transmissions did not sound well at all.

It turns out I believe they are all D-Star transmissions and instead of 20 kHz channel spacing, the transmissions are using a 2x narrower deviation and 10 kHz channel spacing. The audio is distinctly different, The compression is very noticeable to me I don't like the audio at all, in fact I couldn't listen to it for more than a few minutes.

If you have dual band rig, you can listen to the system on the UHF FM analog open repeater frequencies in the link above.

Is is just me or do others notice the sound quality difference?
Quote:
I think the problem is A to D to A and 2.5 narrow band deviation through many links. There is also internet band width involved. Years ago long haul repeater linking was done with microwave.
Yeah that may be it. Some of the links could be overly compressed. As it turns out I stumbled upon a net they were having and I listened in on one of the 220 mHz repeaters and it sounded wonderful, when I tuned into the 440 machine it was compressed, back to the 220 machine and it sounded much better! A very nice system they have--no doubt, I just wouldn't want to listen to compressed audio for too long a time.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:10 AM   #307
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
It's not so much that it's compressed it's just narrow band FM. If you look at a FM signal you'll see it has multiple side bands the narrower the deviation the closer the side bands too much audio will also cause distortion so shouting into an HT or mike figuring you'll be heard is actually making it worst.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:31 PM   #308
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
Looking for antenna recommendations.

136 - 174 MHz
100 Watts or more max power
1/4 wave (total height between 18" - 29" or so)
NMO mount
Spring would be nice but not mandatory

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:44 PM   #309
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
This is what I have..
http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-000627

And I also have this guy for when I'm out in the middle of nowhere. But honestly I can't tell a difference between the two..
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...m/larsenm.html
Old 10-01-2013, 04:41 AM   #310
Law Enforcement:
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD View Post

136 - 174 MHz
NMO mount

Thanks in advance.
Just about any 2 meter will receive 136-174 and TX inside the ham band. Donít think anything out there will do a 100 watts off the shelf most I have seen are more like 70 watts max most are 50 watt. 19 1/2" is a 1/4 wave 2 meter antenna very flexible no spring needed if you add a spring you'll have to cut the antenna shorter makes a big difference at 2 meters.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #311
Desert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bill
Desert Drifter's Tacoma Gallery
New Ham here, about 6 months. I bought a Kenwood TM-V71A radio and a decent Comet base antenna and have it set up in the home with a 13.8 Volt power supply, works great! I do want to get a mobile radio (or move my V71A into the Tacoma). A couple questions I have are....

1) If I go with a 2M only mobile rig will I regret not having the 440MHz band? At home I hear plenty of chit-chat on UHF, but more on 2M.

2) If I move my Kenwood dual bander into the Tacoma, I then want a new base radio and will have my General Class license soon. If I buy a single base radio that has HF and the 2M & 440 are they decent on all bands? Or is it best to have a dedicated HF rig with a second radio for 2M and 440? I realize an "ultimate shack" has many radion, but I tend to blow my money on other hobbies, so Ham dollars take away from other interests...

All opinions appreciated!

KG7DDR
Old 10-01-2013, 11:46 AM   #312
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD View Post

136 - 174 MHz
NMO mount

Thanks in advance.
Just so you know power isn't all that important. Doubling power does not double the range. Doubling power only gets you +3dB on the receiving end. For example I can talk to Los Angeles from San Diego with 10W on my mobile rig which can do 50W. Why use 50W when 10W will do just fine? For around town I use 5W on all the local repeaters and it works just fine.

Here are some recommendations:

I've heard very good things about the flexi-whip antenna (150 Watt) from reputable members on EXPO.

I personally like Larsen antennas for their quality. Here is a complete catalog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
This is what I have..
http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-000627

And I also have this guy for when I'm out in the middle of nowhere. But honestly I can't tell a difference between the two..
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...m/larsenm.html
Not sure which antenna you have for middle of nowhere, but I assume it's one of the longer ones. If so, the difference of course will be the effective radiated pattern. For the long explanation click here. Here is the short visual version see this diagram:

You talking to helicopters or you in the bottom of a slot canyon? The 1/4 wave is best for that (radiating up). For talking across vast flat distances like the desert, the 5/8 wave will be best.

Quote:
Just about any 2 meter will receive 136-174 and TX inside the ham band. Don’t think anything out there will do a 100 watts off the shelf most I have seen are more like 70 watts max most are 50 watt. 19 1/2" is a 1/4 wave 2 meter antenna very flexible no spring needed if you add a spring you'll have to cut the antenna shorter makes a big difference at 2 meters.
It really depends on the manufacturer. For example, the NMO Larsen antennas are all rated between 100-200 watts. A vast majority of Comtelco NMO antennas are good for 200 Watts, The Diamond and Comet line vary widely depending on model.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:54 AM   #313
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
I use this, has a spring built in, reliable antenna.
http://www.monstermarketplace.com/ce...9-tapered-whip
Old 10-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #315
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
So according to the Larsen catalog , when I stuck my 5/8 wave on my mag mount which was then mounted on a empty paint can attacehed to a broom stick was a bad idea. Instead I should have used a 1/2 wave antenna

You can see part of it here attached to the Ez up canopy

My mobile base station for desert racing. for remote pit areas
Old 10-01-2013, 01:17 PM   #316
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Old 10-01-2013, 01:53 PM   #317
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the suggestions.

Thinking of going with this one.
http://www.wpsantennas.com/b132s-ant...aightwhip.aspx
Old 10-01-2013, 01:55 PM   #318
Banned
good antenna, very broadband as well.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:58 PM   #319
Banned
and for those not wanting a whip antenna, these actually work well if set up correctly

My dad has one on his Raptor.

http://www.wpsantennas.com/trat1420-...diversity.aspx
Old 10-01-2013, 02:10 PM   #320
Benjamin Newman
Btnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Benjamin
Btnewman's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys! A frirnd here gave me his ham study so I can start studying up and get my ham license. I am pretty excited to learn this stuff so I can at least partially understand the stuff you guys talk about on here!

Products Discussed in this Thread