1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Amateur (Ham) Radio BS and Callsign Thread!

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by The Traveler, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Oct 8, 2013 at 3:30 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    ^How do you intend to use APRS?

I use APRS for fun to beacon my position on occasion and to see stations around me. But I cheat and use my Android phone with APRSdroid. Total cost was $4.95. No, it will not work if there is no cell coverage, but it's just for fun. :) For some reason APRS does not seem to be very popular in San Diego County (3 million people). On any given day there are only a handful of stations moving around the map; today I count (6).

The kenwood + AvMap is a very expensive solution (~$900) IMO. However it would be a sweet system to have if that's what you want. Would you opt for the HT radio over the fixed mobile (D710a), so you could take it with you on occasion? I see the HT has GPS receiver on board. That's nice!

If I had to guess I don't think you would need an amp...

I thought about hacking up a speaker mic cable to connect my android device with a Baofeng. APRSdroid supports this configuration and it uses VOX to transmit. I know of at least one person who has done it.

2. Oct 8, 2013 at 10:13 PM
    Chipskip

Chipskip N7MCS

Member:
    First Name:
    Chip
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    07 Tundra
    I volunteer with a local group. We work races of all sorts all over the state. Two weekends ago, I was up on the the Mogollum Rim, with an HT on full power I couldn't hit any repeaters, I could hear, but not talk... at least in the spot I was in, If needed to I could have climbed up and made a call. We had a portable repeater setup for this race. There wasn't cell service for several miles. I have worked a few of these events and plan to keep working them as long as I am helpful.

Also, I run with 4x4ham.com and although most of our runs have cell service, not all of them do in all spots.

I don't need an amp, in these remote locations I will be able to see and be seen by the guys around me, which is the important part. But it would be nice to make it back to an igate so my wife can see were I am on long runs.

If I knew what I knew now, than I would have spent the extra $150-200 for a D710 over the ft-8800. However, a HT with built in APRS & TNC can be nice for hiking or any ops away from my truck. I can use the xband repeater to rebroadcast to hit an igate in case someone needs to look for me.

I did look into getting a TNC and GPS to work with the ft8800, but the ft8800 can only broadcast on one band at a time, while the d72a (and d710) can use one band to send APRS and still allow you to communicate on the other. I even toyed with building an aprx system with a raspberryPi. The d72a and AvMap G6 isn't cheap, but it only one cable between them and you are up and running.

If I do it, I am going to do it right, add a rigrunner with anderson poles and a switch to be able to kill it all. A 35w amp thrown into the mix will just boost my system... the 'cherry on top" as it would be.

I don't have an android phone otherwise I would being using it to play around with APRS too.

One last thought... the point of Amateur Radio is to be able to use it off the grid.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  3. Oct 9, 2013 at 4:56 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
  4. Oct 9, 2013 at 5:16 AM
    Chipskip

Chipskip N7MCS

Member:
    First Name:
    Chip
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    07 Tundra
    I love options, keep them coming!

The byonics stuff is really cool and great for tracking something. However they are not designed to receive aprs and display other's locations. Also, it doesn't going hiking very well.

I wonder if the dog wouldn't mind wearing a byonics tracker?

5. Oct 9, 2013 at 7:41 AM
    Desert Drifter

Desert Drifter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Central Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4, SR5
    Icon MT suspension, Pelfreybuilt front bumper, Relentless skids, Avid sliders, Avid custom rack. Pelfreybilt HC Rear bumper.
    I am just learning about this APRS stuff. Interesting!

6. Oct 9, 2013 at 8:11 AM
    Chipskip

Chipskip N7MCS

Member:
    First Name:
    Chip
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    07 Tundra
    The more and more I learn about APRS, the cooler it is. It wasn't until this last event I worked in the mountains did I really appreciate it. You can send text messages through APRS to someone. So while I was drooling over one of the other guy's setup, we were able to message another site to call us on simplex, the portable repeater wasn't setup yet. This allowed us to relay to net control that we were on site and ready.

There is so much more that you can do with it, I am still learning tons.

7. Oct 9, 2013 at 12:18 PM
    Ham N Egger

Ham N Egger Well-Known Member

Member:
    33.414842, -111.909319 or 36.107324, -115.175744
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner V-6
    I've been reading the mail on this thread and wondering if I should break out my 706. I am new to the forum, just bought a 2009 Extended cab and I am enjoying the truck and the forum.

I have not operated in quite some time. Reasons: HOA restrictions, relocating, life issues and inactivity on the bands. Last time (6 years ago?) I did my LAS to PHX commute and tried to operate 2 meters there was no response on the repeaters, nor on 6.52. Removed the radio from the car in frustration and disappointment.

The thread here does not bear that observation out. Has the activity and interest on 2 meters and 440 been resurrected? Do OMs and XYLs use the repeaters and simplex in the LAS to PHX corridor? Is it worth thinking about installing the 706 or some other dual bander in the Taco?

I would surely like to know the level of Ham activity here in the Valley.

THX and 73.

8. Oct 9, 2013 at 12:33 PM
    Chipskip

Chipskip N7MCS

Member:
    First Name:
    Chip
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    07 Tundra
    In Phx the repeaters are almost always hopping. As normal the busiest times are during rush hour and then the later parts of the evenings.

I drive to Kingman ever couple of months and I find that the air waves are usually quiet once I get out of the valley, but that is not always the case. I think I have finally loaded all the Northern AZ repeaters and should be able to hit Mt Eldon in Flagstaff on my next trip.

I have no clue about the HAM liveliness in the Vegas area.

At least in AZ, the off road community is embracing HAM radio more and more.

Hook up the radio, program some repeaters, and get back on the air!

73s

9. Oct 9, 2013 at 1:04 PM
    Desert Drifter

Desert Drifter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Central Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4, SR5
    Icon MT suspension, Pelfreybuilt front bumper, Relentless skids, Avid sliders, Avid custom rack. Pelfreybilt HC Rear bumper.
    I got into Amatuer Radio specifically for off-roading. Well that and I have allways liked the idea of reliable communications outside of urban areas (cell phones seem to allways be "out of service" when you really need them).

so far I have a Kenwood V71 dual-bander set up at home in my hobby room with a decent base antenna and a good 12 volt DC supply. I have been listening mostly while I am at the computer or my reloading bench and if I scan the band manually there is allways somebody on the air.

If I had to say. I would say approximately twice as much traffic on 2M as compared to the 440 MHz band, but this is just with me twisting the freq. knob and looking around. So I would say a dual-band mobile will get you more contacts than a straight 2M radio in Central Arizona for sure.

I want to buy a rig for my truck and now thinking about APRS, but I need to learn more about it before buying a radio.

I also would like to have a handheld radio (H/T), and there seems to be some good reports on the inexpensive Chineese H/T's. The Woxoum (sp?) is about $99 for a dual band H/T, and I see Bao-Feng dual-band H/T for $50 or so. Are these really any good? I was looking at Yaesu 2M H/T for about $135 if I recall and this would suffice, but If I can get a dual-band rig for less AND it is decent then this might be my next purchase. Thinking a H/T would be great for off-road as I could use it to talk back to the truck if I go on a hike or such.

Also could loan it to a non Ham for offroading runs and keep track of each other. The non Ham transmitting would be kept to a bare minimum, (probably still be in trouble). Currently some of them have CB radios for trail comm, but they are so limited that I don't want a CB.

10. Oct 9, 2013 at 1:38 PM
    Chipskip

Chipskip N7MCS

Member:
    First Name:
    Chip
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    07 Tundra
    I have a Woxoun, not a bad radio. It was gift with a mag mount antenna. Been using it for two years now. I was frustrated trying to get into repeaters while driving around and went and got a mobile rig. That said, the issues getting into a repeater were two fold: 1) the cheap antenna on the H/T, go buy a better one for $20 2) I failed at getting it programmed right the first four or five times I tried. I finally got a goot cable and CHIRPS, that fixed the issue getting into the repeaters, but I was glad to have the more robust mobile rig... although not required.

People either love or hate the Chineese H/Ts. You have to hut and find a good translation manual for programming, because the one that comes with it is B-A-D! I would get one and a new antenna for it. You should be good with it for a long time.

The proper answer to letting a non licensed person user your H/T is don't unless it an emergency (than it's legal). You can give it to them and them listen, but not talk. Get a couple of FRS radios for that.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  11. Oct 9, 2013 at 1:55 PM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    I never tried manually programming a repeater set into the wouxun we have...thank god for the free programming software lol. Programming simplex frequencies in VFO mode is easy enough.

speaking of VFO mode..I was on SoCal TTORA run a few months ago and the whole group had decided on a common frequency for everyone to use but two people couldn't figure out how to get their FT-350 into VFO mode to program the frequency :facepalm: . Imagine having a badass radio like that but not being able to communicate with the rest of the group because not knowing how to program in a simplex frequency?

12. Oct 9, 2013 at 1:59 PM
    Chipskip

Chipskip N7MCS

Member:
    First Name:
    Chip
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    07 Tundra
    There is a button right on front label "v/m" it switches between VFO and memory. then use the mic to type in the freq. Maybe they had only had it a few days and hadn't figured out how every thing works.

13. Oct 9, 2013 at 2:01 PM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    Yeah well..they kinda were getting frustrated and started pressing all the buttons all crazy I just walked away lol

14. Oct 9, 2013 at 3:23 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    The rigrunners are great, a buddy of mine has one and he really likes his. I need one or something simliar. From my aux battery I ran two 10 gauge zip cords into the cab. Right now one is powering the Kenwood dual bander, and the other is powering the Uniden Bearcat scanner. I have a dedicated voltmeter I want to connect and add some 12v accessory outlets, and install an inverter as well and maybe a few other things. The rig runner would work perfectly. I just wish it cost less. I may end up using a blue sea fuse block instead. Not to sure yet.

Perhaps for you and me, probably a resounding yes! But for many Amateurs, I'd say not so much. Amateur radio means different things to different people. As long as they conform to the part 97 rules, how they choose to use it is up to them.

I've heard nothing but good things about the byonics products.

Not exactly true. The Tiny Track4 Product can encode and decode APRS packets. Therefore you can hook it up to a compatible GPS product and you're good to go. And would you look at this, according to this link it's compatable with the AvMap GPS receiver! Not bad for only $75.00.

Your story is not surprising. I have read many sad stories on eHam.net and qrz.com such as yours regarding 2M/440. I think there is a small resurgence in activity since the Morse code requirement was dropped and more hams get licensed. I also believe that activity varies considerably based on location. I can only speak for San Diego and most 2M and 70cm machines during commuting time you hear regulars going/coming home from work. At night there are scheduled nets. Outside of these times, you'll usually hear nothing but crickets.

However, there are linked systems and they seem to get more use and can be busy at any time of the day or night. This is especially ture of the WIN System. Other linked systems in my area are: PAPA System, Cactus Intertie, The Condor connection, Calzona Link.

Have you heard of the Outdoor Adventure USA group? They put on an excellent net every Thursday evening that is on the Keller Peak repeater and the KA6UAI 449.300 machine in San Diego. They use IRLP and echo link so you can come in from anywhere. Their nets cover a wide array of topics concerning the outdoors and ham radio. I have been listening for a few months and it really is a class act. Very interesting topics with top notch subject matter experts doing the talking. It is unique.

Also regarding APRS, do you know about the website http://aprs.fi ?

You can use that to gauge how many people are using APRS in your geographical area. Also, whom will you beacon your position too? Also realize that every transmission in the ham bands is in the realm of the public domain. Anyone can receive them, and retransmit, publish or store them as they wish. These are good questions to ask before you begin using APRS or spend the money on an APRS hardware.

I have a pair of Baofeng UV-B5 HT's and I love them. I use them daily on local repeaters and to remotely control my tm-V71a mobile radio. Excellent value and they are indeed a step up from the cheaper UV-5R series radios. If you want to know more about them let me know.

:laugh: I'd have done the same. :)

15. Oct 9, 2013 at 4:31 PM
    Chipskip

Chipskip N7MCS

Member:
    First Name:
    Chip
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    07 Tundra
    You are correct. I would need a NEMA APRS working GPS, a Tiny Track and a radio to broadcast. I could do all this for a lot less than a d72a & AvMap. But, I also want the APRS in the HT for hiking, etc. So a tiny tracker, gps unit being attached to my HT while using LPC would be a PITA.

In the future I may build a raspberryPi with TNC and have a great little computer/APRS system in the truck. But for now, all my research has brought me to the simplest, but most expensive option. Originally I wanted a VX-8DR, but by the time you add all the stuff you need... its the same price as the d72a and it doesn't talk to the AvMap system as well. But I would get 6m.

I have until November, when I plan to pic this all up. A Panavise, switch, relay and rigrunner first. Then once it is all wired, I will order the radio and gps.

We should set up a meet on the calzona net for you SD guys with us Phx guys.

16. Oct 9, 2013 at 6:45 PM
    Ham N Egger

Ham N Egger Well-Known Member

Member:
    33.414842, -111.909319 or 36.107324, -115.175744
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner V-6
    Thanks for the info on activity in Arizona Chip Skip and Desert Drifter.

Way back when, I started looking at APRS when it first became popular. I had some Kantronics stuff and set up a bulletin board, dabbled slightly and mostly watched the various stations report. I liked working 2 meter SSB alot also.

As my interest in the hobby waned I sold my Tri-ex 51' crankup tower and antenna, but kept the IC706 and a HT. Heck I don't think I can even remember how to program tones or frequencies into the 706 or the HT anymore. I had an interface on the desktop that did most of the grunt work.

Anyway, as Chipskip suggested, I may break out one of the rigs and fire it up just to see what is going on these days.

Thanks to both of you for the input.

73 de W7MV

17. Oct 10, 2013 at 5:30 AM
    maineah

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Do not encourage a non-ham to use yours or anyone else's radio it is illegal and if you talk to a non-licensed operator that too is illegal this is why we use call signs. There already is too much illegal stuff going on especially on 2 meters and frankly the cheap Chinese stuff does not help the problem. For those that have the Chinese stuff they are a pain to program without the software so be sure to program them before you leave! If you turn on the voice on, on the UV-5R it makes it easier.

18. Oct 10, 2013 at 5:36 AM
    maineah

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    The 706 is a great little radio that is my mobile rig but only for HF it would be a good ideal to down load a manual the learning curve is pretty steep!

19. Oct 10, 2013 at 5:50 AM
    Runn0r

Runn0r Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunn0r
    Could anyone recommend a good external speaker? Ideally I would love to mount something very low profile to my headliner above the rear view mirror. Ive read up on all kinds of external speakers, but i've not seen one that will mount (sort of) flush with the headliner. Does a radio speaker like this exist? I may just end up building an enclosure of some type, but I kind of want a speaker above the rear view mirror or beside the dome light.

20. Oct 10, 2013 at 8:58 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    I have two roadpro 6w external speakers. I have nothing else to compare them to, but I really like them and they help me copy well with all the road noise from the truck. There are probably better ones out there.

Check out this guy's comm speakers in his truck, they are the MFJ brand:

This is what he wrote:
    Here is a link to his install / writeup

I missed this part of your previous post. I have to agree with Tim. It's a bad idea and yes it's illegal. If caught, you'd probably loose your license for life and be subject to a fine. I used to think that nobody would know, but I was wrong. Now that I have a scanner I realize just how elementary it is to automatically detect, and record RF transmissions. I actually have the entire 2M/70cm simplex band plans programmed in to my quick key list. While scanning, if someone keys up in range of my truck, I know about it, and I monitor it. :)

For your trail group I recommend to use license free modes of communication for that. FRS/MURS/CB. All that said, you could still give a non ham a ham radio to listen to and send him/her instructions, but they should not key the mic. If they want to use the radio, encourage them to get licensed. :)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top