Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Amateur (Ham) Radio BS and Callsign Thread!

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-29-2013, 07:07 PM   #22
P9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Steve
P9HST2's Tacoma Gallery
Another Ham here. Nothing mobile but I have quite a bit at home that I used to use before I got a Tacoma! Now all I do is read here instead of being on the air.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:12 PM   #23
Hiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hiatt
Hiatt1991's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Hiatt1991
Ive got to say Matt, Im very impressed! Good for you on getting your license, def got me motivated to get mine! Thanks for the link you sent.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:24 PM   #24
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
The Traveler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiatt1991 View Post
Ive got to say Matt, Im very impressed! Good for you on getting your license, def got me motivated to get mine! Thanks for the link you sent.
Haha thanks man, and of course anytime. After all, the first instance I had ever even heard of ham radio was when I saw the unit in your truck
Old 01-29-2013, 09:59 PM   #25
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineah View Post
Get a license. You cannot transmit on 2 meters without one and it is illegal for another ham to talk to a non-licensed station. Your radio is not type excepted for radio use outside of the ham bands or to be modified to do so meaning both you and the Co. you work for could be fined and you gear confiscated.
Yes I am aware it is illegal to TX without a license. I am working on that. I have only had the radio a few weeks and only used it a few times to check it out. Simplex only like I said, no repeaters. I get its still technically illegal but its not like I was just broadcasting more than a couple miles around me and no one else was on that freq. But yes I will still get my license.

As for modding, I have not actually done any mods yet and at this time cannot TX outside of HAM freqs. I do plan on doing the mod soon, which is not illegal if I am only monitoring. The mod on this unit will not extend RX service, only TX. I will be doing this to be able to communicate with the handhelds we use at work. They are on a business band and there is nothing illegal about using them. They are basically fancy walki-talkies that anyone can buy. They are used every day all over the place by millions of people without licenses. Construction, Security, Businesses, movie theaters, and much more use these all around the nation with no licenses and its perfectly legal. We are talking about <5w operation power and simplex only. I can turn my TX power to low and not disturb anyone else around our normal operating range. Nothing wrong with this as long as I do not TX on other freqs. We are also using PL Tones to help secure our traffic.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:03 AM   #26
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
You cannot TX outside of the ham bands with a ham radio. The hand helds you are talking about are FCC type accepted for their usage, the ham radio is not. It is an FCC thing having nothing to do with being licensed. I agree it is dumb to some extent but it is illegal. Unfortunately by modding the radio it also makes it usable in the PS bands meaning police and fire and that is not a good thing if you key up on their freq. you are going to be heard because it's the output freq. of the repeater the same thing they hear. If you think you are tuned to a ham freq and give out your call sign they will come and knock on your door. The two repeaters I own are old commercial radios one from a state police car the other I have no idea what it's use was that strangely enough that is perfectly legal to mod them for use in the ham bands but not the other way around. The PL tones (Motorola’s Private line) are to keep the radio quiet until they receive the tone to open the radios squelch this allows others to use the same frequency (with in reason) and helps keep intermod out of repeater’s receivers. People every day are doing this it does not make it right and does nothing to endear the ham operators to the FCC, hams have lost frequencies to other services and the FCC can take then away.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:20 AM   #27
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Well this is certainly good info to keep in mind. Normally I'd be stubborn and tell you its perfectly legal you don't know what I'm talking about... but I can't really argue with you here

I didn't know the radio had to be "type" approved. Guess I'll just have to consider all this then. Thanks.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:54 AM   #28
N7MCS
Chipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31R, HHB, 2/43 ADA Battalian, 108th ADA Brigade, XVIII Airborne Corps
Name: Chip
Chipskip's Tacoma Gallery
N7MCS Monitoring

73s
Old 01-30-2013, 09:04 AM   #29
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProForce View Post
Well this is certainly good info to keep in mind. Normally I'd be stubborn and tell you its perfectly legal you don't know what I'm talking about... but I can't really argue with you here

I didn't know the radio had to be "type" approved. Guess I'll just have to consider all this then. Thanks.
Perfect reason for you to study for and to take the exam...I posted a bunch of info for you already in the other thread. The test is too easy for anyone not to pass
Old 01-30-2013, 09:26 AM   #30
Nixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Nixinus's Tacoma Gallery
I got my general license in high school, KF6PFC.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:54 PM   #32
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
Doesn't take much to study and the test is pretty easy now since Morse code has been omitted

^^^THIS
Old 01-30-2013, 03:14 PM   #34
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
The benefits of a license and mobile comms while out off-roading are huge. When the wife and I are out on our prospecting outtings I usually bring a buddy pole and work a bit of CW/SBB DX, not to mention there are no cell sites out there.

Truley very easy to acquire a Tech Lic and find a good used VHF/UHF radio on a budget.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:14 PM   #35
Thin Blue Line

I'll study up and take my test on the next available date for my area then. I've always been good with tests so shouldn't be a problem. Thanks
Old 01-30-2013, 03:19 PM   #36
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProForce View Post
I'll study up and take my test on the next available date for my area then. I've always been good with tests so shouldn't be a problem. Thanks
Test locations and dates
http://www.arrl.org/find-an-amateur-...e-exam-session
Old 01-30-2013, 03:25 PM   #38
Power Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post
The sooner we all get licensed, the easier it'll be to communicate since we can all use repeaters in the area. I know for a fact that you, Hiatt, and I can hear eachother using the 147.450 repeater on Sierra Peak.
I can hit all of the big bear lake repeaters from my place in the city of Monrovia..and when we're in the desert in either Johnson valley or lucerne valley we can hit those repeaters with jasmines 5watt HT . These radios have greater range then you think lol

No reason why you and Hiatt can't hit any repeaters in our areas
Old 01-30-2013, 04:09 PM   #40
Power Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post
I haven't tested how well I hit repeaters yet, obviously...but I can Rx the signals very well.

BTW: There's some asshole old guy on 147.450 who keeps cutting everybody off, and giving false callsign.
That the norm for 450 and 435..you should Google 147.435 and read up on its history

Products Discussed in this Thread