1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Amateur (Ham) Radio BS and Callsign Thread!

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by The Traveler, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Oct 24, 2013 at 9:34 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    Good catch Tom. Possession of a modded radio is not a crime. Transmitting out of band that one is licensed for is, as well as using amateur radio equipment outside of the amateur bands.

I linked a thread above on why amateur equipment should not be used out of band. In years past a lot of amateur equiment was home-brew, or converted land mobile equipment. Amateur radios are considered part 97 gear. Contrast that with part 90 radio gear which is Commercial Land Mobile radio. All of the part 90 equipment had to be certified by the FCC in a laboratory to insure that the equipment transmitted a stable and accurate frequency as well as not producing unwanted emissions (out-of-band emissions (OOBE) and spurious emissions.)

All that said, most modern amateur radios using microprocessors and digital frequency synthesizers are probably not too much different than the commercial gear. But it's debatable in some circles. For example, commercial gear may have better filters. etc.

And the post below is right on point for this subject.

Good article and a timely post. I agree with the authors assessment. There is probably very little risk of using non-certified radios in the MURS/GMRS frequencies, provided that one follows the power level, bandwidth rules and plays well with others.

Three years ago a petition was filed with the FCC to do away with the licensing of individuals for GMRS, and instead license the GMRS channels by rule, just like FRS. It also hopes to narrowband GMRS channels and restrict the power levels of portable GMRS units to 2W, there is a lot in the petition as it's 95 pages long. That petition is number FCC-10-106A1 and it's still pending!

:thumbsup: Couldn't agree more. My XYL is going to get her ticket in Dec/Jan. :)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  2. Oct 24, 2013 at 9:57 AM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    My Wouxun Uv3D is both part 90 and 97 approved as well as other cheap chinese radios as we all know, again there's that grey area :popcorn:

3. Oct 24, 2013 at 10:01 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    I don't know about anywhere else but in San Diego, 90% of public safety frequencies are now in the 800 Mhz band. San Diego and Imperial counties built a vast Regional Communication System (RCS). It is a Motorola digital trunked P25 System. Thankfully, the inexpensive Chinese radios will not be able to interfere with these transmissions, the cell towers and nextel will do that instead (haha).

I do believe the Baofeng and the Wouxun radios are helping new amateurs acquire radios. I am one of them. I have two UV-B5's and I like them a lot. They work very well. I'd love to have a nice Yae-Ken-Com HT but not at over $200+ in price. I'm just not going to do that. Also, I've managed to interest two of my friends to the point of actually studying to become licensed amateurs. One already has bought two Baofengs. When I programmed the radios for him, using CHIRP, I put in many repeater outputs, however, by setting the 'duplex' vale to 'off' I have disabled his abilty to transmit. I did the NOAA weather channels the same way. It's easy to do but you have to know what to do...

4. Oct 24, 2013 at 10:05 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    You have a good quality radio, and having both certification is an excellent thing. :)

I have the cheaper Baofengs with only part 97.

If someone was situated like Brandon and had the UV3D for example and he was authorized for xmit on the race frequencies he would be 100% legal to use it on the amateur bands or in the business band (race freq.)

5. Oct 24, 2013 at 10:06 AM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    Isn't that funny how that works lol

6. Oct 24, 2013 at 10:41 AM
    Brandon H

Brandon H Well-Known Member

Member:
    Newhall, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC Offroad
    2017 4Runner TRD Offroad Premium. Icon stage 7, RCI skids, SCS SR8 wheels, budbuilt sliders, 285/70/17 BFG Ko2s (Old rig) 07 Taco TRD Offroad FUlly Locked, Icon Extended Travel CO's w/ remote resis., Alcan AAL's,Icon Remote Resi Rear Shocks, All Pro Front bumper w/ warn 9.5xp,winchline synthetic winch cable,All Pro IFS Skid plate, OME Shims, OME Carrier Bearing drop, Trail Gear Sliders, Yakima Load Warrior Basket, OEM Roof Rack, Hi Lift Extreme, Cobra model 19, Wilson Lil Wil Antenna, Yaesu ft-7800

Funny I was thinking the Same thing. Well, I just ordered a UV3D. Case Closed ;)

7. Oct 24, 2013 at 10:42 AM
    SoCaltaco65

SoCaltaco65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB 4x4 Offroad TRD
    Something I have been noticing lately in regards to newly licensed amateurs is the absence of band plan and or operational modes knowledge/usage. A few times I had to ask that folks not use inputs/outputs of established repeaters for simplex usage, when contact was made with parties they were not aware of those frequencies being allocated for repeaters. Likewise FM use in the SSB/CW weak signal portion of 2Meters while SSB 2-ways were ongoing.

8. Oct 24, 2013 at 10:55 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    Interesting. I have observed that here on TW (FM use on weak signal 2M).

For SoCal amateurs, please read the "TASMA 2M band plan." It's so easy a cave man can do it. :D

9. Oct 25, 2013 at 5:52 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    No, you can mod it all you want many radios allow for extended RX however it also mods the TX and transmissions out of the ham bands are not allowed. The radios are not FCC type accepted to TX in bands other then what they were certified for. Yes it is illegal for you to TX on bands you are not licensed for
    and doing so on a modded radio compounds the no no. The offence is ramped and the FCC is strapped so people can get away with it. If you program a police freq so you can listen and you grab the mike on that freq. you will TX on their simplex freq (repeater output) if they are close enough they will hear you, hams have been busted because they have given their call sign on that freq thinking they were on their frequency. Police repeaters have been locked up by out of band radios TXing on their input freq.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  10. Oct 25, 2013 at 6:09 AM
    maineah

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    FMRS radios are limited to 300 MW their antennas are fixed meaning they can not be removed and a gain antennas installed, the Chinese radios do not fit the requirement. GMRS radios are licensed you can apply for one it's an easy process then use your Chinese radio provided it falls with in the out put power shoot you can even use a repeater on GMRS. How ever it would be far easier to just study for your ham ticket instead of trying to find ways around the law.

11. Oct 25, 2013 at 9:11 AM
    SoCaltaco65

Member:
    Vehicle:

In SoCal, most of the GMRS repeaters are run by react or some form of emergency communication group.

12. Oct 25, 2013 at 9:12 AM
    SoCaltaco65

Member:
    Vehicle:
    on another note, CQWW is this weekend for those wanting to hear HF and the craziness worldwide contesting brings.

http://www.cqww.com/

Conditions are really good right now even on 10meters.

13. Oct 25, 2013 at 3:12 PM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    Most of the GMRS channels are cluttered with Spanish speaking people that are clearly using more then just a simple gmrs radio based on power output. Then there's a group whos high power stations are dominating the MURS channels 24/7. The LA area has gone rogue due to the lack of FCC enforcement :goingcrazy:

14. Oct 26, 2013 at 5:14 AM
    maineah

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Your right they won't but it will TX on the repeater output frequency The same freq. they hear from the repeater (the one you are listening to). Chances are pretty high that they won't hear you if you key up because they use a from of decode to open the squelch on their radios either DCS or PL. I don't know about your radio it may have a TX inhibit some where in it's program.

15. Oct 26, 2013 at 5:18 AM
    maineah

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Yes this is a problem with off shore radios they either have different laws or total disregard for power restrictions I often hear them on the HF bands running 2KW or more and there is nothing the FCC can do about it even if they wanted to.

16. Oct 26, 2013 at 10:31 AM
    Whitster

Whitster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Whit
    Golden, CO
    Vehicle:
    '09 AC w/SR5 & TRD, 6' bed
    Sounds a lot like what they had in the late 60's and early 70's. They were known as "Tong Wars"

They also had an "Animal House" repeater that was kind of a sacrificial lamb and didn't discourage that element. At least they were all in one place then.

The FCC was a viable resource in those days. They'd actually get out and do something. Now days they want you to do all the work for them and then they'll send the offender a nasty-gram and semi-serious sword rattling.

They really don't want to spend the time to pursue anything that doesn't generate serious revenue for the guv's insatiable coffer$.

17. Oct 28, 2013 at 5:54 AM
    maineah

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Yes they do but that does not cover any thing that is transmitted from away it has no boundaries. So if some one is transmitting in Mexico with high power it is still going to interfere with local reception. In the US it is illegal to modify a 10 meter amp to be used on 11 meters ever hear long distance CB on any given day?

18. Oct 28, 2013 at 7:54 AM
    SoCaltaco65

Member:
    Vehicle:

Thats the 435 repeater that is still going strong...

19. Oct 28, 2013 at 11:39 AM
    Runn0r

Runn0r Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunn0r
    I am an aspiring ham tech. looking to build a custom mobile rig. I ordered a Larsen NMO 2/70B antenna after reading reviews, but I am curious about 1/4 wave antennas as well.

Does anyone have first hand experience testing and comparing a 5/8 wave and a 1/4 wave on 144/440? I know in theory I should have better range with the 5/8 wave but I am contemplating a 1/4 due to weight factors of the thing i'm building.

20. Oct 28, 2013 at 11:47 AM
    SoCaltaco65

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Are you building a backpack QRP system?

Products Discussed in

To Top