Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Amateur (Ham) Radio BS and Callsign Thread!

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-17-2014, 07:53 AM   #581
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
Nice!
Old 02-18-2014, 08:18 AM   #583
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineah View Post
FRS radios operate on 300 mill watts with an antenna that cannot be removed. Your radio will not TX on that low power and your antenna gain increases the ERP way beyond the ERP of any FRS radio. So there is nothing you can do to make your radio legal in the FMRS band. GMRS is 25 watts and requires a license. All of the PS bands have now gone to narrow band the ham radios have not so transmitting on these bands is going to cause adjacent channel interference. Here is the deal guys maybe Iím a stickler for rules but if people continue to do this kind of things we as hams are going to lose even more of our radio spectrum the FCC can and has taken some of our frequencies already the public service bands and cell carriers want the frequencies donít give them an excuse to take them they have enough money to buy them we donít. Most radios RX out of band and need no mods to do so that is fine you can listen all you want. The RX range on my IC7000 is 30 KC to 199.999 MHZ- 400.000 MHZ to 470.000 MHZ out of the box that is a huge spectrum. The TX range is ham bands only. By the letter of the law the Chinese junk is not type accepted due to their dB ratings and poor wording but that is an argument for lawyers no need to get hams involved.
You mean 500 mW? Likewise as far as Interference live next to the US-Mexico border. I'm positive that re-bandplaning to strip further Amateur band range is not from illegal transmissions but from the mighty dollar to be made and a lack of use by Licensed Amateurs. I go for days if not weeks without hearing anything on most of my local repeaters, let alone simplex VHF/UHF. And then there are the fools on lower HF that can't stop arguing and causing fights over the air so at the same time much like 147.435 that has been going on and on with hourly violations on air, Amateurs do create their own fate as well.
I have noticed a huge increase in VHF/UHF noise from other device(s) harmonics in the last 3 year, the biggest is San Diego buses, be on 2 meters and drive within in a block of one and full squelch is not enough.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Radio_Service
Old 02-18-2014, 08:26 AM   #584
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Yup, thats exactly what it is. the telecommunication companies have huge lobbyist groups trying to get more spectrum for their needs..big companies with lots of money to spend.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:50 AM   #586
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaltaco65 View Post
You mean 500 mW? Likewise as far as Interference live next to the US-Mexico border. I'm positive that re-bandplaning to strip further Amateur band range is not from illegal transmissions but from the mighty dollar to be made and a lack of use by Licensed Amateurs. I go for days if not weeks without hearing anything on most of my local repeaters, let alone simplex VHF/UHF. And then there are the fools on lower HF that can't stop arguing and causing fights over the air so at the same time much like 147.435 that has been going on and on with hourly violations on air, Amateurs do create their own fate as well.
I have noticed a huge increase in VHF/UHF noise from other device(s) harmonics in the last 3 year, the biggest is San Diego buses, be on 2 meters and drive within in a block of one and full squelch is not enough.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Radio_Service
It may well be 1/2 a watt but the bottom line the ERP of a ham HT is still far greater and is not narrow band. The FCC is looking for opportunities to snatch freqs from anywhere they can, UPS is using some of our old 220 MHZ fregs due to lack of use. There is abuse of rules on any band and the FCC is spread thin, the way to deal with wingnuts on HF or any other band is to ignore them, all they are looking for is an audience and I donít think they are bright enough to realize their signal is not just local if I hear that type of stuff on any of my repeaters I turn them off. I listened to one ding dong on the input freq for a half hour basically talking to himself not realizing the repeater was off, later (after he sobered up) I called him on the phone and explained that the behavior was unacceptable. It is embracing to listen to them realizing they can be heard around the world on the HF bands thatís a hell of a way to represent our country. There are several of our bands that we shear with other services the UHF FM band is full of low power devices and if we what to keep that band we need to use it and use it properly that is a band they very much would like to sell. We do have some power to police our selfís first and four most is to follow the rules like not using non type accepted modified radios on bands we do not belong on. Last year all P.S. radios went to narrow band our radios did not so by using them where they donít belong we run the risk of interference to other channels because of the band width itís twice as wide. Trying to jamb uses on the HF bands is as childish as the one we want to go away. We can report miss use to the FCC sometimes this does get results and the more complaints the better but the best bet is donít give them an audience.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:56 AM   #587
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
Interesting about the S.D. city buses. I know it may seem boring, but why not file a complaint with the FCC and get the city to fix the interference? They are responsible.
This^ and if you are close to them probably more than any thing else is receiver overload. We wanted to hear every thing with our radios so there is not much rejection out of band.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:06 AM   #588
Asian RedNeck
BenMara is a name known to allBenMara is a name known to allBenMara is a name known to allBenMara is a name known to allBenMara is a name known to allBenMara is a name known to all

Name: Ben
BenMara's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to BenMara
Anyone found a decent way to mount and gnd a HF screwdriver antenna to a 2nd tacoma?
Im really hating this composite bed. Trying to do things as per www.k0bg.com explains
Old 02-22-2014, 05:51 AM   #589
Law Enforcement:
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Your plastic bed is of very little consequence, good grounds are essential this does not mean turn your truck into a spider web. You need a good body ground modern cars are pretty well grounded frames doors etc. years ago they were not and all kinds of RF issues popped up. Vehicles are poor ground planes all of them, working mobile is very similar to working QRP so you have got to do the best you can with you got. I have worked over 70 countries mobile in the Tacoma and east to west in the lower 48 (so much for the plastic bed worries) on any given day I can work DX. If you decide on a screw driver antenna (good choice) put the longest whip you can find that will fit with a quick disconnect to make it easy to remove. Big antennas need big mounts and they need brackets beyond just a single mount the only thing that holds them in place is a 3/8Ē stud and they will flop around like a fish without an extra bracket and that cannot be good for them. The lower you go in frequencies the worse a vehicle becomes I donít even think about 160 meters mobile some guys do and get away with it but to me it is far more trouble than itís worth you will need cap hats matching coils etc. no thanks Iíll cut it off at 80 meters. You can but I would not worry about your plastic bed the only fix would be to remove it and use a wire counterpoise across the frame the more wire the better then put the bed back on. You may gain a 1/4 dB 3,000 miles out but I doubt it would be measurable. You will need to mount the tuning coil above the cab or in the clear otherwise it will not preform will that is why I mounted mine on the rear of the bed that also produces some ground coupling to the real earth. The upper mount on my antenna is Lexan the entire antenna is RF hot motor, tube everything so it cannot be grounded I have found that the motor control chokes that come with the screw drivers are marginal buy a better one or you may have issues tuning.
Attached Thumbnails
Amateur (Ham) Radio BS and Callsign Thread!-img_1516-1024x683-.jpg  
Old 02-22-2014, 10:59 AM   #590
Asian RedNeck
BenMara is a name known to allBenMara is a name known to allBenMara is a name known to allBenMara is a name known to allBenMara is a name known to allBenMara is a name known to all

BenMara's Tacoma Gallery
A friend has his tarheel antenna, mount like yours, but i have a campershell so even more factors.. what thinking about bending some flat stock to contour from front driver bed mount to outside the bed and cut were it intersects the bed and campershell lovely run on sentence....
Old 02-22-2014, 11:09 AM   #591
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
Interesting about the S.D. city buses. I know it may seem boring, but why not file a complaint with the FCC and get the city to fix the interference? They are responsible.

I have, twice, and the city basically said who cares, I have a letter that says not to communicate around buses. ROFL

The FCC apparently asked the city to look into it and never got back to me, its been over a year.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:24 PM   #593
N7MCS
Chipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31R, HHB, 2/43 ADA Battalian, 108th ADA Brigade, XVIII Airborne Corps
Name: Chip
Chipskip's Tacoma Gallery
Worked the Ragnar tax this weekend. We had a guy crossband repeating our UHF incident simplex to our repeater from a mobile station. We had 7 repeaters linked for this 203 mile race. The guy was a royal PITA, but eventual he got tired and let us move on.

I was really surprised at the number of people that bitched about the free repeaters being tied up for two days.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:31 AM   #594
Law Enforcement:
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMara View Post
A friend has his tarheel antenna, mount like yours, but i have a campershell so even more factors.. what thinking about bending some flat stock to contour from front driver bed mount to outside the bed and cut were it intersects the bed and campershell lovely run on sentence....
Check the Tarheel site they make all kinds of mounts along with antennas the one on mine is home made the bottom end of the antenna is mounted to a ball mount I removed the right lamp assemble to mount it and the coax. Many times people research things to death ham guys like to experiment many time it does not work well but there are also a lot of home runs. Many years ago I built a UHF beam, it turned out to be a good garden rake but a lousy antenna. Ground your antenna well and hold it on the side of the shell with duct tape and see what happens! No holes to fill if it doesn't. It really would be good to get the tuning coil above every thing but I have seen them completely shadowed by the body work and they still make the contacts.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:54 AM   #596
Asian RedNeck

BenMara's Tacoma Gallery
http://blog.hamstudy.org/2014/02/gue...tion-released/
Old 03-16-2014, 05:25 AM   #597
Law Enforcement:
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
There are many out there try ham test on line. http://www.eham.net/exams/ Join a ham radio club in your neighborhood they can be very helpful and generally do testing with their own club members as VE's.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:34 AM   #598
01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future

01TacoBuz's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.qsl.net/k6mep/
Old 03-22-2014, 12:10 AM   #599
jeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
jeverich's Tacoma Gallery
If anybody's up, give me a shout on IRLP 7758, Kodiak, Alaska
Old 03-22-2014, 10:46 PM   #600
the habs fan
bulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
bulhas's Tacoma Gallery
just got my canadian license today!!! all bands up to 250w

VA6LXS - just a handheld atm Baofeng UV-5RA

Products Discussed in this Thread