1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone into R/C?

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by A.D., Feb 7, 2009.

1. Jan 24, 2010 at 4:16 PM
    kilgoja

kilgoja Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2009 regular cab 4x4 2.7L (silver)
    :mudding:
    here's an older video i found on the erevo and emaxx comparison...these aren't the brushless editions though but it's good info for those trying to decide between the two

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXm-8OkC5JE

2. Jan 24, 2010 at 5:27 PM
    kilgoja

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    check this out..basically the erevo and the summit can be made into the same thing...lol...at first is a regular erevo made into a brushless and a summit and brushless erevo compared at the end

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThEpB7ylEgs

3. Jan 24, 2010 at 6:22 PM
    kilgoja

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    sorry i keep finding videos with alot of info in them...here's one if you are thinking of gettting into r/c rock crawling or just backyard bash crawling sortof...lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHJTHcEEC_c

4. Jan 24, 2010 at 7:28 PM
    Snowmang

Snowmang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Vehicle:
    09 grey sport
    Exhaust billy 5100's smoked headlights and taillights.
    i dont mind spending 200 bucks as long as my truggys gonna turn good and the servo isnt gonna bust...

5. Jan 25, 2010 at 4:37 AM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
    thanks!

X2. a friend of mine runs a TMaxx 3.3 and ever since he started putting aluminum on it, it's just one thing after another...bulkhead, braces, skid plate, shock tower...etc. i will say he runs RPM a-arms with the aluminum stuff and he has yet to break them.

ran a little this weekend...carnage was not too bad: 1 front right axle carrier and 1 left rear upper a-arm. new blue RPM rear a-arms and more carrriers/pivot caps on the way! i never seem to break stuff till i put the second battery in. :D got it going probably 45 mph across a yard and then did about 9 cartwheels...no breakage. a-arm got broke jumping off my buddy's landscaping about 5ft in the air.. i gotta look into aluminum carriers...the stock ones are breaking everytime i run. they are cheap to replace, but i'm getting sick of changing them already.

6. Jan 25, 2010 at 5:25 AM
    TRICOMA

TRICOMA Tacoma with the TRI package

Member:
    First Name:
    Tri
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC SB 4x4 TRD Off Road
    King Off-Road Shock Coilover 2.5 with Resi in the front. King Off-Road Shocks 2.5 with Resi's for the rears, Rear Spring TSB, KMC XD Enduros 16x8, Black Vinyl Fenders, Bed compartment locks, Cobra 19 DX IV with Lil Wil mag mount antenna, CoverKing Seat covers front and rear, Built Right UCAs, Aluminess Expedition Bumper, GY Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar 265/75-16, Custom hybrid style rock sliders.
  7. Jan 25, 2010 at 4:41 PM
    64Wildcat

64Wildcat Black Jeep of the family

Member:
    First Name:
    Denis
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2015 Rubicon
    I just sold my Savage 25 to get a set of Billies for the real truck,
    I was thinking about going back to electric and getting a Traxxas Slash 4 x 4 in the spring,guys that have how do you like them?

Denis

8. Feb 4, 2010 at 9:24 PM
    Stillfly199

Stillfly199 ( . )( . )

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Bro Capital of the word
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
    My buddy lost his job a while ago and tonight he said he was gonna sell me his Summit, but he was laughing so I couldnt tell if he was serious so I told him if he wants to sell it I'll buy it :D

9. Feb 4, 2010 at 9:27 PM
    TRICOMA

Member:
    First Name:
    Tri
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:
    King Off-Road Shock Coilover 2.5 with Resi in the front. King Off-Road Shocks 2.5 with Resi's for the rears, Rear Spring TSB, KMC XD Enduros 16x8, Black Vinyl Fenders, Bed compartment locks, Cobra 19 DX IV with Lil Wil mag mount antenna, CoverKing Seat covers front and rear, Built Right UCAs, Aluminess Expedition Bumper, GY Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar 265/75-16, Custom hybrid style rock sliders.
    I think a Slash 4x4 would be awesome!!!

10. Feb 6, 2010 at 7:56 AM
    Bean

Bean Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    So far, I love my slash 4x4. I've had a few broken parts, but nothing serious. Everything is easy to replace and parts are pretty cheap. I also have driven it in really cold weather, which makes the plastic parts pretty brittle. I painted a body to look similar to my taco. The other body I have is a baja bug. It is great for bashing around and having fun. Here are the pics:

IMG_0126.jpg
    IMG_0150.jpg
    IMG_0153.jpg
    IMG_0154.jpg
    IMG_0160.jpg

11. Feb 6, 2010 at 10:13 AM
    TRICOMA

Member:
    First Name:
    Tri
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:

I wish you hadn't posted the picture of your slash like that...makes me want to get one now. What body is that? Did you buy the TRD stickers?

12. Feb 6, 2010 at 10:14 AM
    64Wildcat

64Wildcat Black Jeep of the family

Member:
    First Name:
    Denis
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2015 Rubicon
    Hey Bean,
    Very nice truck,thanks for the pics!
    I'm definately getting one in the spring, first i have to get my Billies put on:D
    Denis

13. Feb 6, 2010 at 10:30 AM
    Bean

Bean Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    The body is the Proline Hardcore, but the stickers were on e-bay. The are sold as "mini" TRD stickers. I like the looks of the body so much, that I never actually run it on the slash. I always go bashing with the bug body.

14. Feb 6, 2010 at 10:37 AM
    Stillfly199

Stillfly199 ( . )( . )

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Bro Capital of the word
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
    Thanks Bean, the pics you posted got me looking at the Slash 4x4 now :D

15. Feb 6, 2010 at 10:40 AM
    TRICOMA

Member:
    First Name:
    Tri
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:

Thanks for the info. I am stuck on whether to get a 4x4 slash or a scale crawler of some sort. Either way it will be 4x4...just decide if I want to go fast or slow...

Anyone have experience with mini or Micro Losi crawlers?

16. Feb 6, 2010 at 11:21 AM
    Stillfly199

Stillfly199 ( . )( . )

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Bro Capital of the word
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser

Wanna give us a review on this? How runs in different terrains and what not? This thing has really got me interested

17. Feb 6, 2010 at 1:30 PM
    TRICOMA

Member:
    First Name:
    Tri
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:

Good idea...:popcorn:

18. Feb 6, 2010 at 1:38 PM
    Just4fununlimited

Just4fununlimited Turtle

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyrtl
    Cerritos/Originally from the island of Guam
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner TRD Off Road SR5
    Toytec 3" Lift with 1.5" Lift block in the rear 285/75/16 COOPER STT 16" Eagle Alloy Style 101 PA15 TOY Decepticon Emblem courtesy of Metalmiller TRD Urban Assault Emblem courtesy of Sockmonkey More to come...
    Anybody selling any used TRAXXAS RC's?

I really want a Stampede... I wanna experiment with a used one before I get a new one. Right now I'm playing with HPI Racing 10706 E10 RTR w/ Mustang GTR (200mm). Its fun but cant play in the mud or jump mounds or dirt.

19. Feb 6, 2010 at 5:24 PM
    Stillfly199

Stillfly199 ( . )( . )

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Bro Capital of the word
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
    I have been watching videos on the Slash all day long :(

20. Feb 6, 2010 at 6:27 PM
    Bean

Bean Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Unfortunately, I'm probably a poor candidate to give a helpful review. I haven't owned a radio controlled car since around 1990. At that point, I owned a cheap radio shack junker that could barely qualify as a r/c car. However, I'll tell you my observations to this point.

I purchased my slash on 14 Jan and have been able to run it a little bit most every weekend since then. It is pretty fast for a novice. However, it is forgiving enough for me to learn quickly with. If you're beyond the novice level, there is plenty of room to make it faster with 3s lipo and different gears to satisfy a more experienced driver.

I bought the ready-to-run version and am very happy with the quality of the radio. I did decide to buy the platinum addition also, so I could get the aluminum accessories and the sway bars. I would say the best addition is the sway bars. They are totally necessary to make it handle on pavement. If you decide that you want the RTR version, you do not have to buy a whole platinum edition. You can find the sway bars in the aftermarket. The big bore shocks that come with the platinum edition are made of aluminum and are more durable, but they do not have as much travel as the shocks that come on the RTR. I love the fact that the whole thing is easy to work on. You can take it apart pretty quickly.

The one weakness so far - and traxxas is working on a fix - is the stub axles. I have bent both rear axles, but traxxas customer service sent me free replacements. When I talked to the representative, they said they are developing a hardened axle. I'll get those when they're released. It is not a big enough deal to not buy it. The aftermarket will have plenty of cool stuff.

There are a lot of videos on you tube, and there is a forum at this url:
    http://monster.traxxas.com/
    There are a few posters that are quite knowledgable and able to answer any technical questions. Some of them are traxxas employees, so they are far from subjective.

I can't wait for the weather to improve, so I can actually get it out on to some dirt. I'll be sure to let you guys know what it's like. If you have any specific questions, I'll try to answer them.

Products Discussed in

To Top