Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Anyone into R/C?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-14-2013, 09:01 PM   #10061
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hunter View Post
I will never buy a RC boat... While I was fishing one day I was watching this guy drive his 4 foot rc boat that did like 35 knots... It was his first time driving the $1200 dollar boat but not his first fast boat... He was taking it easy than all of a sudden the throttle stuck and it went head on into the rocks about 10 feet from me and it splintered into a million pieces... Almost killed me and turned me off completely to rc boats
luckily the hulls seem to be pretty inexpensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledvl View Post
Yeah those tires are rc4wd 40 series rok lox, I ran them for a bit but went back to 3.8 trenchers.

Rough water IMO is better suited for a tunnel hull, you can buy a rtr proboat blackjack 29 and get to 40mph no problem, or get a aquacraft revolt 30 mono and do some prop tweaking and maybe a motor/esc upgrade and get in the 50s. I wouldn't spend more then around $400 on a boat unless your serious you wanna get into it.
really, a tunnel hull? even for playing in waves at the beach? I can see them handling chop better, but I feel like you're gonna get some pillow effect if you start jumping it. i'm not too into the hydroplane look, but I could deal with a cat if you think that would be a good halfway point......plus that means 2 motors

Quote:
Originally Posted by bueller View Post
Not even finished and with a bunch of brand new parts, I'm selling it

And yes, I know it's a Jeep

As it sits now

Where it was before the rebuild
whatcha selling it for?

edit: hunter has been looking for an axial....you should give him a good deal
Old 11-14-2013, 09:07 PM   #10062
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

see edit
Old 11-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #10063
ride BMX!
littledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
littledvl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb17 View Post

really, a tunnel hull? even for playing in waves at the beach? I can see them handling chop better, but I feel like you're gonna get some pillow effect if you start jumping it. i'm not too into the hydroplane look, but I could deal with a cat if you think that would be a good halfway point......plus that means 2 motors

Hydropalanes are useless unless all you wanna do is drag race in calm water. a 29-34" cat is fun to mess with, it will jump waves nicely and be able to handle the chop. a deep v will turn better and it is less prone to blow overs but it will roll easier and chime walk more. if you want a fun boat that will jump and is quick for what it is, look at a aquacraft mini mono. most cats are single motor until you get up into the 37"+ hulls. but dual motors mean dual everything else and marine esc's are $$$, haha my "built" boat has $600 just in the esc's..
Old 11-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #10064

well, one of my other concerns is that if I don't have my kayak with me, and I flip a multihull, I have no way to retrieve it, whereas, more of the monohulls are self-righting in the event of a flip
Old 11-14-2013, 09:21 PM   #10065
bueller has a spectacular aura aboutbueller has a spectacular aura aboutbueller has a spectacular aura about

bueller's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Is it ready to drive if I bought it today? How mch do you want? This is the axial ax10?
Electronics are all in it, except for the LED lights which are easy to install. It drives as is right now. The body needs to be glued in a couple spots still as it's a custom style body. This is actually a Wraith, not the AX10. Wheels and beadlock rings have been powder coated black since the picture. Looks great. Anyone who knows about crawlers knows these are good parts. I just don't use it and it's just taking up space.

New Rockbeast II tires with Crawler Innovations two stage foams, unused
Mayhem Engineering aluminum beadlocks
Brand new Brood motor, 35 turn
Brand new Savox ultra high torque steering servo
Adjustable BEC (battery eliminator circuit) for the servo to get constant voltage
Two brand new 3S 3300mah Lipo batteries, one still has stock connector on it
Two 2S 4000mah Lipos that both take well over 4000mah still
Lipo/Nimh digital charger, ac/dc
Brand new aluminum diff covers
And a whole mess of extra parts, stock motor, 3 servos, etc.

Probably ask around $450 for it. I'm taking it in the shorts but that's the reality of the hobby.

I can take some detailed pictures for anyone interested.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #10066

damn, that's a killer deal. without looking up parts, you probably have over $200 in just hose wheels and tires.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:39 PM   #10067
Do you know Tyler Durden?
FearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
FearNothing321's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quick question though... A 35t motor is that a lower or higher gearing? Built for fast or slow? Crawling or going fast? New to upgrading motors but shit for 450 ill take it all!!!
turns are a rating on electric motor

That is a crawling motor

More turns = slower, but lots of torque
Old 11-14-2013, 10:01 PM   #10068
bueller has a spectacular aura aboutbueller has a spectacular aura aboutbueller has a spectacular aura about

bueller's Tacoma Gallery
The 35 turn on 3S is actually pretty quick for a crawler.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:03 PM   #10069
What is this I don't even
yotaman90 is a jewel in the roughyotaman90 is a jewel in the roughyotaman90 is a jewel in the rough

yotaman90's Tacoma Gallery
My Traxxas Slash 4X4 Platinum that I picked up not too long ago.

I also have a Slayer Pro and a 1/16 E Revo, but I don't have any current pictures of either.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:24 AM   #10070

yotaman, how do you like the tiny revo? i'm looking at the tiny summit, but and comparing it to the revo as far as usability on the terrain i have access to.

Eric, what wheels are those on your summit? if i remember correctly from the last traxxas i had, they have their own stupid bead design, meaning every non traxxas tire will not really work on their wheels.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #10071

picked up a brushless system and some new wheels/tires at the local rc shop after work today. all I can say is wow! this is how a summit should perform! it's an entirely new truck great power, about twice the top speed, and it still crawls like a champ.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #10072
ride BMX!
littledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
well, one of my other concerns is that if I don't have my kayak with me, and I flip a multihull, I have no way to retrieve it, whereas, more of the monohulls are self-righting in the event of a flip
Iv flipped my revolt more then my tunnel hulls, not too many self righting boats out there. I use a fishing rod with a tennis ball, cast past the boat and usually hook the rudder and bring it back in, I can usually get it in 2 casts.

Quote:
yotaman, how do you like the tiny revo? i'm looking at the tiny summit, but and comparing it to the revo as far as usability on the terrain i have access to.

Eric, what wheels are those on your summit? if i remember correctly from the last traxxas i had, they have their own stupid bead design, meaning every non traxxas tire will not really work on their wheels.
I have a 1/16 summit vxl and a 1/16 revo vxl, they are damn near the same thing, I break more axles with the summit giving the angle they are at with the high suspension, but both handle about the same, I have more fun with the summit.

In that picture im running some axial beadlocks

Quote:
picked up a brushless system and some new wheels/tires at the local rc shop after work today. all I can say is wow! this is how a summit should perform! it's an entirely new truck great power, about twice the top speed, and it still crawls like a champ.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:29 PM   #10073

haha, I like the fishing rod idea....

i'm in the process of shortening the esc to motor wires at this very moment, but i'll grab some photos when it's done. I wasn't actually planning on getting wheels/tires today, but it turns out that I had enough "points" and the local shop that I got $90 worth of wheels and tires for $25.....couldn't pass that up.

however between the wheels, tires, motor, esc, and a couple more deans connectors, I spent as much as a new 1/16 summit
Old 11-15-2013, 11:40 PM   #10074

little preview. i'll get more tomorrow.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:41 PM   #10075
ride BMX!

Nice! Gonna make me throw my mamba monster in mine...
Old 11-15-2013, 11:46 PM   #10076

Quote:
Nice! Gonna make me throw my mamba monster in mine...
worth it! do you have the 1 or the 2? the 2 is waterproof after having such success with their waterproof sidewinder setup in my short course, it was a no brainer when I saw this one. this is the 2200 kv. i think they make it in an 1800 kv too, but this still crawls great. actually thinking about upping the gearing a little.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #10077
What is this I don't even
yotaman90 is a jewel in the roughyotaman90 is a jewel in the roughyotaman90 is a jewel in the rough

yotaman90's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I like it a lot. Mine has had a lot of things changed on it though

I would choose the Revo over the Summit, even though my Revo has some Summit parts on it. There are a few differences between them other than the bodies; the Revo has stronger driveshafts even though the Summit ones are CVDs, the Summit has a slightly longer wheelbase due to the rear a-arms being swept back more, and the Summit has long-travel rockers versus the Revo's progressive rockers. I've tried the Summit rockers on my Revo and IMO they made the suspension too soft, and that was using the stiffest springs available. My Revo still has a good amount of flex with the progressive rockers and black stripe front/pink stripe rear springs and 80wt shock oil, but it handles much better on the road when I have my street tires on it.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:11 PM   #10078
ride BMX!

Quote:
worth it! do you have the 1 or the 2? the 2 is waterproof after having such success with their waterproof sidewinder setup in my short course, it was a no brainer when I saw this one. this is the 2200 kv. i think they make it in an 1800 kv too, but this still crawls great. actually thinking about upping the gearing a little.
I have the 1 but I can easily waterproof it, its also a 2200kv. I may stick it in there soon
Old 11-18-2013, 09:10 AM   #10080

Congrats on the podium Michael

any more news/pictures of the buggy yall were designing?

Quote:
I have the 1 but I can easily waterproof it, its also a 2200kv. I may stick it in there soon
my only gripe is that this thing has a very weak slipper clutch, and the brushless really emphasizes that. it's either too loose, or you've completely bound the spring and locked up the slipper. gonna start looking for a stiffer spring and try to find that happy medium that actually bites, but still allows some slip when needed. maybe try to find a better clutch disk too.

i'm also going to try a slightly higher gearing. the momba came with another pinion with a couple more teeth i'm going to test out.

i did blow out a front axle (first breakage) but it was operator error, when i clipped a pretty good sized rock with the right front tire at about 30 mph. tossed the thing into a real nice flat spin and bew out the joint on the shaft in one shot. everything else has held up like a dream so far though.

Products Discussed in this Thread