Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Anyone into R/C?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #10061
Do you know Tyler Durden?
FearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
FearNothing321's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb17 View Post
2 completely unrelated questions for you guys.

1) anyone had much experience with 2 stroke gas engines? looking at a scaler(ish) 1/5 scale buggy. owner of the local mom and pop rc shop is making a very tempting offer on it. about $150-$200 below online prices It's from redcat racing. I have enough experience with the brand to trust the quality of the vehicle and the aftermarket and replacement parts support. what i'm on the fence about is the 2 stroke motor. not concerned about the power, but more the tuning and maintenance that goes into them. I was happy to get away from nitro and all of the carb tuning and cleaning. I would assume that the 2 strokes are less finiky, but are they worth the hassle (if there is any hassle involved)?
Gas is much easier than nitro at least from what I've read
Old 10-21-2013, 07:49 PM   #10062
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FearNothing321 View Post
Gas is much easier than nitro at least from what I've read
It would make sense. weed whackers usually hold carb tunes pretty well. i'm assuming a slightly smaller engine would do the same

I'm also a little weary of the noise. I definitely couldn't drive this around neighborhood streets like I could with a nice quiet electric.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:14 PM   #10063
05tundra13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tundra13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tundra13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tundra13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tundra13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tundra13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tundra13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tundra13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tundra13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tundra13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tundra13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Devin
05tundra13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It would make sense. weed whackers usually hold carb tunes pretty well. i'm assuming a slightly smaller engine would do the same

I'm also a little weary of the noise. I definitely couldn't drive this around neighborhood streets like I could with a nice quiet electric.
ya my apt complex hates me when i break out the nitro truck.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:43 PM   #10064
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05tundra13 View Post
ya my apt complex hates me when i break out the nitro truck.
yeah, i'd definitely have to go to one of the local race tracks or deeper into one of the parks around me to run it. like all of the other RCs, this would be a blast to take wheeling with me.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:59 AM   #10065

thinking the redcat 2 stroke may not be the right truck for me at this time. having moved to an apartmnent for now, i would have to drive somewhere to use it 100% of the time. should be in a house with some decent land in 8-10 months though, so maybe i'll pick one up then.

interest has now shifted to the traxxas summit. it fits the same bill as the redcat as far as size goes, even though they are totally different scales. going back to the shaop again to look into some differnt options. but i really like the idea of tossing a brushless into the summit big, powerful, versitile, and quiet. even thought it's 100% different, the axial exo has cought my eye as well

anyone driven either of those vehicles?
Old 10-23-2013, 05:37 AM   #10066
Christian Off Road Engineering
C O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clint
C O R E's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
thinking the redcat 2 stroke may not be the right truck for me at this time. having moved to an apartmnent for now, i would have to drive somewhere to use it 100% of the time. should be in a house with some decent land in 8-10 months though, so maybe i'll pick one up then.

interest has now shifted to the traxxas summit. it fits the same bill as the redcat as far as size goes, even though they are totally different scales. going back to the shaop again to look into some differnt options. but i really like the idea of tossing a brushless into the summit big, powerful, versitile, and quiet. even thought it's 100% different, the axial exo has cought my eye as well

anyone driven either of those vehicles?

Electric is definitely the way to go if you are within 100 yards of people who may even possibly get slightly annoyed. I have a Baja 5B 1/5th scale gas buggy that hauls a truckload of ass but it's ungodly loud. at full throttle standing next to it (tuning) you have to wear earplugs or your ears will get that numb feeling. As far as the whole gas vs. nitro thing, I have owned and raced both and the tuning isn't really a big deal if you keep up with it on either one. look for smoke and check temps. High octane quality gas and a few drops of ethanol treatment in the gas can will save you lots of headache.

if you do get into 1/5th scale later, DEFINITELY go with an HPI Baja or a Rovan RC clone, you will find parts easily for those. I've never seen redcat parts at any of the hobby shops I go to.

For Brushless motors make sure you get a good ESC and heat sinks those little puppies get rather warm very quickly.

Any questions or help I can give shoot me a PM man, I have some work experience and hobby experience in RC from a few years ago.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:06 AM   #10067

Quote:
Originally Posted by C O R E View Post
Electric is definitely the way to go if you are within 100 yards of people who may even possibly get slightly annoyed. I have a Baja 5B 1/5th scale gas buggy that hauls a truckload of ass but it's ungodly loud. at full throttle standing next to it (tuning) you have to wear earplugs or your ears will get that numb feeling. As far as the whole gas vs. nitro thing, I have owned and raced both and the tuning isn't really a big deal if you keep up with it on either one. look for smoke and check temps. High octane quality gas and a few drops of ethanol treatment in the gas can will save you lots of headache.

if you do get into 1/5th scale later, DEFINITELY go with an HPI Baja or a Rovan RC clone, you will find parts easily for those. I've never seen redcat parts at any of the hobby shops I go to.

For Brushless motors make sure you get a good ESC and heat sinks those little puppies get rather warm very quickly.

Any questions or help I can give shoot me a PM man, I have some work experience and hobby experience in RC from a few years ago.
yeah, i got my first nitro about 10 years ago, so i've been in the hobby for a while. only started getting into electric about a year ago though. 5 trucks and two quadcopters later, and i'm pretty up to day with the electric stuff.

I can tune nitro, and it was nice to be able to go run all day long without having to wait for battteries to charge, but it got to be a pain int he butt to be constantly tuning the carb to keep it running smoothe, and my temps in check.

I was asking about the gas because the only experience with two strokes i have is yard equipment and outboard motors.

I actually got the traxxas summit last night, and a few goodies for it, instead of the redcat. however they were out of the brushless setup i wanted for it, so that'll have to wait. came to the same conclusion you talked about, with just needing tons of room for the noise. I go out wheeling a lot, and it would be fin for that, when i'm away from civilization, but then i'm limited to driving it every couple weeks. i'll be headed up to maryland next september, and having a lot more land around me, so i'll probably reopen my search for a 1/5 scale gas then. or just get a 1/5 scale with a brushless motor the size of a soda can

Thank you for the advise

Edit:
Didn't even get to drive it last night because i was usy soldering on new connections for the LiPos i got for it........and then i ran out of solder. should finish the job this afternoon, and then play time

Old 10-25-2013, 07:24 AM   #10068
Large Member
Werloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Bob
Werloc's Tacoma Gallery
1/4 scale, and 1/5 scale gassers. HPI Baja 5b 1st gen. Also fly rc heli's. Had an rc motorcycle, but sold due to no one to race with. I'm not into bashing. If I ain't racin, I ain't runnin...
Old 10-25-2013, 09:59 AM   #10069
ponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
ponethousand's Tacoma Gallery

Got this the other day
Old 10-28-2013, 12:28 AM   #10070
low and slow
mjbtaco has a brilliant futuremjbtaco has a brilliant futuremjbtaco has a brilliant futuremjbtaco has a brilliant futuremjbtaco has a brilliant futuremjbtaco has a brilliant futuremjbtaco has a brilliant futuremjbtaco has a brilliant futuremjbtaco has a brilliant futuremjbtaco has a brilliant futuremjbtaco has a brilliant future

Name: Michael
mjbtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werloc View Post
1/4 scale, and 1/5 scale gassers. HPI Baja 5b 1st gen. Also fly rc heli's. Had an rc motorcycle, but sold due to no one to race with. I'm not into bashing. If I ain't racin, I ain't runnin...
Same here lol I manage an RC race team
Old 10-28-2013, 07:11 AM   #10071
Dcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dcpsychobilly's Tacoma Gallery
Show off ^^^
Old 10-29-2013, 08:11 AM   #10073

Movers came last week and dropped off all of my stuff, including my RCs. after sitting in a storage unit for 5 months (in florida), a couple need now springs (rust), and the brushed motors on my 1/10 crawler are siezed up (now i get to upgrade to brushless )

not too bad for the condition they sat in though. i'm just glad to have them all back again.

ranging from 1/24 to 1/8 scale, there are 2 short course truck, two crawlers, one buggy, 2 quadcopters, and the summit (not sure what category that falls under).

just moved into the apartment, so lighting is limited
Old 10-29-2013, 08:19 AM   #10074
CelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Anthony
CelsisTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely into more electric then gas, but i have both Mostly all Taxxas stuff.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:15 PM   #10075
ride BMX!
littledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
littledvl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

looks good man

Seems I been unsubscribed from this thread somehow, havnt even noticed since I been into my car lately

Winter is here so ill get some lipos out of storage and get back into this
Old 11-07-2013, 03:09 AM   #10076
no mods is one of the sharper tools in the shedno mods is one of the sharper tools in the shedno mods is one of the sharper tools in the shedno mods is one of the sharper tools in the shedno mods is one of the sharper tools in the shedno mods is one of the sharper tools in the shedno mods is one of the sharper tools in the shedno mods is one of the sharper tools in the shedno mods is one of the sharper tools in the shedno mods is one of the sharper tools in the shedno mods is one of the sharper tools in the shed
no mods's Tacoma Gallery
Old 11-07-2013, 04:17 AM   #10077
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by no mods View Post
Old 11-07-2013, 04:15 PM   #10078
ride BMX!
littledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by no mods View Post
Good to see some new honchos on here

Old 11-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #10079
ponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
ponethousand's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by littledvl View Post
Good to see some new honchos on here

Nice, I need to paint mine to match my truck. Got three weeks ago and haven't had a chance to run it!
Old 11-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #10080
ride BMX!

Got my crap all set back up on the shelf's, had sold off quite a few over the past couple months but here is whats left..

Products Discussed in this Thread