Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Anyone into R/C?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-04-2014, 06:23 PM   #10901
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Thinking about upgrading my radio and receiver in my wraith...no issues so far with the stock stuff, but i'm adding some lights that I don't necessarily want on all the time and I'm planning on eventually adding another truck and it'd be nice to just have 1 radio for both trucks

My buddy suggested the Spektrum DX3C which comes with a SR300 receiver, and then adding a 2nd receiver

Pretty budget friendly at $99 for the radio and 1st receiver and then $50 for a 2nd waterproof receiver

Thoughts? I really only think I'm gonna need to be able to run a couple different trucks (and this one can do like 20) and I'm gonna want to run a couple different light sets on my wraith with on/off capability
Old 03-04-2014, 06:40 PM   #10902
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
Thinking about upgrading my radio and receiver in my wraith...no issues so far with the stock stuff, but i'm adding some lights that I don't necessarily want on all the time and I'm planning on eventually adding another truck and it'd be nice to just have 1 radio for both trucks

My buddy suggested the Spektrum DX3C which comes with a SR300 receiver, and then adding a 2nd receiver

Pretty budget friendly at $99 for the radio and 1st receiver and then $50 for a 2nd waterproof receiver

Thoughts? I really only think I'm gonna need to be able to run a couple different trucks (and this one can do like 20) and I'm gonna want to run a couple different light sets on my wraith with on/off capability
if all you need is 3 channels, the dx3c is a nice one. very tunable, and easy to use/navigate menus. I use it for a couple of mine, but make sure that they are all different categories of RC, that way, I can go out with friends, and have different transmitters for all the ones that run similar terrain to one another.

currently run it for the crawler and jato. most likely use it on the boat when I upgrade to brushless. odds are none of those will be running at the same time, so it's ok to not have individual transmitters
Old 03-04-2014, 06:41 PM   #10903
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledvl View Post
Cute collection

When you plan on coming to MD?
I've only been back into the hobby for about a year.....gotta give me more time to catch up

fingers crossed for early May. can't wait to get into this house.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:43 PM   #10904
ɔoɯq
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

get a futaba. spektrums always have range issues
Old 03-04-2014, 06:49 PM   #10905
ride BMX!
littledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
littledvl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb17 View Post
I've only been back into the hobby for about a year.....gotta give me more time to catch up

fingers crossed for early May. can't wait to get into this house.

im only in just about 2yrs now.. and I been kinda out of it for the past 6 months.

If all goes good ill be moving in mine april 5th
Old 03-04-2014, 06:52 PM   #10906
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
if all you need is 3 channels, the dx3c is a nice one. very tunable, and easy to use/navigate menus. I use it for a couple of mine, but make sure that they are all different categories of RC, that way, I can go out with friends, and have different transmitters for all the ones that run similar terrain to one another.

currently run it for the crawler and jato. most likely use it on the boat when I upgrade to brushless. odds are none of those will be running at the same time, so it's ok to not have individual transmitters
makes sense, but I'll likely only have the wraith and a crawler...and MAYBE a boat one day eventually...won't be running any combo of the 3 at the same time unless i get stupid and build a trailer and drag the crawler with the wraith and then unload it at my rocks

and re: the post below...how's the range for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOC View Post
get a futaba. spektrums always have range issues
range issues? like how bad?
Old 03-04-2014, 06:54 PM   #10907
ride BMX!
littledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
littledvl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
makes sense, but I'll likely only have the wraith and a crawler...and MAYBE a boat one day eventually...won't be running any combo of the 3 at the same time unless i get stupid and build a trailer and drag the crawler with the wraith and then unload it at my rocks

I mainly use spectrum, I havnt had any range issues, except when I had my rx wire running past my battery that caused some issues. But iv seen on the boards some people having issues, its not a for sure kinda thing.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:01 PM   #10908

Quote:
im only in just about 2yrs now.. and I been kinda out of it for the past 6 months.

If all goes good ill be moving in mine april 5th
So you should have twice as many as me
Old 03-04-2014, 07:02 PM   #10909
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
I mainly use spectrum, I havnt had any range issues, except when I had my rx wire running past my battery that caused some issues. But iv seen on the boards some people having issues, its not a for sure kinda thing.
my antenna won't be crossing the battery so that shouldn't be an issue

good to know

Amazon only had 8 reviews, 1 was poor, 1 was 3 star, and 6 were 5 star

one dude's just stopped working one morning and then started back again later and hasnt given him anymore problems...and the poor review was a dude who said it wouldn't bind to his compatible receiver

link to boards?
Old 03-04-2014, 07:03 PM   #10910

Quote:

No range issues. However, I'm only ever 15 feet max away from the crawler, and maybe 60 feet from the jato at the track, so I haven't really put the range to the test
Old 03-04-2014, 07:15 PM   #10911
ɔoɯq
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i wouldn't trust another one further than 50 yards probably. lost connection once and i didn't have a killswitch and it sent my truck flying WOT across the park. no worse feeling than that. lol. bought a killswitch and futaba the next day

i mainly play with larger scale trucks which demand more space though, but most of the dudes at my hobby shop and forum i read don't really care for them either. could be just a bandwagon kind of thing though. i've seen people have good success with them too.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:30 PM   #10912
addicted7369 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaddicted7369 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaddicted7369 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaddicted7369 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaddicted7369 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaddicted7369 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaddicted7369 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaddicted7369 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaddicted7369 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaddicted7369 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaddicted7369 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Al
addicted7369's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hunter View Post
Ive driven my wraith a good 45-50 yards away from me on the stock reciever and all it did was studder until I took 2 steps and turned it around!

For the price of the axial transmitter and reciever I can buy 5 of them and soend 100 bucks... A nice sticker label on each controller would do fine for each vehicle...
Old 03-04-2014, 08:02 PM   #10913
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
Ive driven my wraith a good 45-50 yards away from me on the stock reciever and all it did was studder until I took 2 steps and turned it around!

For the price of the axial transmitter and reciever I can buy 5 of them and soend 100 bucks... A nice sticker label on each controller would do fine for each vehicle...
except the whole purpose is to add that 3rd channel so I can turn lights on and off...so that's not really an option...and I don't want to spend $902009218 on a fancy new radio that will do too much

I like the price and features on this DX3C but I'm open to options if anyone has any

purchase is aways out bc I'm prob gonna spend some money on a roller crawler first...a buddy has one he is thinking about selling that he got in a trade for some heli stuff...soo if his dad didnt sell it...and gives me the right price on it...i'm gonna buy that first...then i'll have to probably HAVE to do a new radio
Old 03-04-2014, 08:23 PM   #10914
ThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
ThatGuy18's Tacoma Gallery
I bought the DX3C for my R1 but have yet to get the damn thing built so I can't tell you my thoughts. Finally got all my stuff to wire up the electronics so maybe I can finish getting it built and wired tonight then pick up a battery tomorrow at the LHS and give it a spin before I leave town.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:31 PM   #10915
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

I'm planning on an LED bar or 2 for it...and I don't want them on constantly with all the other lights...

so with a $20 Heyok wiring switch, and a 3 channel radio...I can make that happen

I just don't want to spend a fortune on the radio if I can help it
Old 03-04-2014, 09:52 PM   #10916

Quote:
I'm planning on an LED bar or 2 for it...and I don't want them on constantly with all the other lights...

so with a $20 Heyok wiring switch, and a 3 channel radio...I can make that happen

I just don't want to spend a fortune on the radio if I can help it
DX3C is your radio then. it and the receivers are very reasonably priced. you can run their 2 channel receivers off of it as well, if you have no need for the 3rd on another vehicle (like a boat). saves you some cash too. I run the 3 ch for the rock crawler, but only the 2 ch for the jato.
and the receivers are water "resistant" they'll take a splash pretty well, but i'd still put it in a watertight box. for about $12, you can get the traxxas watertight receiver box. I use them on all of my vehicles now because they are cheap, easy to use/set up, and the work.
http://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-3628-S...f+receiver+box
Old 03-04-2014, 10:09 PM   #10917
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
DX3C is your radio then. it and the receivers are very reasonably priced. you can run their 2 channel receivers off of it as well, if you have no need for the 3rd on another vehicle (like a boat). saves you some cash too. I run the 3 ch for the rock crawler, but only the 2 ch for the jato.
and the receivers are water "resistant" they'll take a splash pretty well, but i'd still put it in a watertight box. for about $12, you can get the traxxas watertight receiver box. I use them on all of my vehicles now because they are cheap, easy to use/set up, and the work.
http://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-3628-S...f+receiver+box
already got a waterproof box plus they make a 3 channel receiver that comes waterproofed SR300WP or something like that

My newest concern is that I've read that Axial's stock stuff is re branded Skyfly and I've read a couple things on rccrawler that sometimes spektrum stuff glitches when around skyfly stuff...not specifically the axial stuff but skyfly in general and I usually run with another wraith running stock electronics...and he isnt willing to upgrade any time soon

I'll probably sit on it all for now, and then IF i buy the crawler...buy the Spektrum unless another better option shows up and see how it works out...if it works well for the crawler I'll buy a 2nd receiver for the wraith
Old 03-04-2014, 10:22 PM   #10918

Quote:
already got a waterproof box plus they make a 3 channel receiver that comes waterproofed SR300WP or something like that

My newest concern is that I've read that Axial's stock stuff is re branded Skyfly and I've read a couple things on rccrawler that sometimes spektrum stuff glitches when around skyfly stuff...not specifically the axial stuff but skyfly in general and I usually run with another wraith running stock electronics...and he isnt willing to upgrade any time soon

I'll probably sit on it all for now, and then IF i buy the crawler...buy the Spektrum unless another better option shows up and see how it works out...if it works well for the crawler I'll buy a 2nd receiver for the wraith
does anyone talk about why it glitches? glitching from excessive power draw, and glitching from interfering signals or induced current are very different, but both have remedies.

Quote:
Still don't understand why you need a crawler!!! Wraith does wonderful when crawling!!!
but a non scale 90 degrees of flex crawler is le titties!
Old 03-04-2014, 10:25 PM   #10919
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
Still don't understand why you need a crawler!!! Wraith does wonderful when crawling!!!
Because I may get a killer deal on one...and I like doing the scale trail riding with my wraith and I don't really like the crawling of the wraith...it does OK but ultimately I like the idea of having a dedicated low geared torquey crawler...and then the wraith to go run around on the trails
Old 03-04-2014, 10:26 PM   #10920
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
does anyone talk about why it glitches? glitching from excessive power draw, and glitching from interfering signals or induced current are very different, but both have remedies.

but a non scale 90 degrees of flex crawler is le titties!
they all seem to point to interference but no one ever figured out or gave a definite answer

and yes...a non scale crawler seems like a whole bunch of fun...a couple buddies have them and it's not really fun to go play with them because they can do a lot harder rock courses than the wraith can handle...and they cant keep up when trail riding or playing in the woods

so instead of trying to mix the 2 into 1 RC...i'm just eventually gonna get 2 dedicated ones...and maybe a boat

Products Discussed in this Thread