Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Help me buy a mountain bike!

Old 03-12-2013, 09:41 AM   #21
PELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed
PELLEY's Tacoma Gallery
Really looks like used may be the ticket here for me... man mountain bikes are just as complex as trucks. At least I have trucks all figured out, this is martian to me...
Old 03-12-2013, 09:42 AM   #22
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC10TRDSPORT View Post
Just go to walmart and pick one out! $2-300 put the other 900 towards truck! lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by PELLEY View Post
HAHA!!! I actually considered this, nothing at that price point I need at the moment. Just got rid of the truck and want to upgrade my 4Runner, but that requires many thousands for what I want. Time to get a bike so I can still hit the dirt in the mean time while I save my pennies...
Just to add to wallmart type bikes and overall quality of department store bikes.

I just about thrashed one on a single 22km XC trail in the mountains in Jasper a few years ago. Quite a bit of roots and singletrack on that one though. Besides not having enough braking power, terrible handling, poor shifting performance and useless suspension, everything was loose and rattling by the end of the day. The next time out there, I broke of the pedal before I got back to the truck.

Some more options to consider from www.pricepoint.com. I have not ridden one ever so just judging by looking at specs.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/224...ntain-Bike.htm

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/224...ntain-Bike.htm

They have a Demo version of this one for $1399.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:43 AM   #23
The109 is a glorious beacon of lightThe109 is a glorious beacon of lightThe109 is a glorious beacon of lightThe109 is a glorious beacon of lightThe109 is a glorious beacon of light
Navy:
Name: Joe
The109's Tacoma Gallery
https://www.outsideoutfitters.com/p-...ike-my12-.aspx

BMC Speedfox SF02 with Deore/SLX components is close to your price range and on sale. I have the SLX/XT version and it's a great bike. Swiss bike made to ride the Alps, I think it can handle Cali.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:46 AM   #24
andoskyy is on a distinguished road
andoskyy's Tacoma Gallery
If you want to buy new, you won't find any better components than this at your price point

http://www.fezzari.com/full-suspensi...ntry/wiki-peak

my brother has a Fezzari and they're very nice bikes. not too well known, but take a look online for reviews...they're all good.

Another suggestion would be looking for leftover stock at local bike shops. Might be able to pick up a 2011 or 2012 new for a few hundred less than the new model.

Good luck!
Old 03-12-2013, 09:51 AM   #25
kbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kbauman92's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by longstonec View Post
This^^ go on there and look in the buy/sell section and you can find local deals, if you dont mind used you can find some great bikes for cheap
Old 03-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #26
PELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed
PELLEY's Tacoma Gallery
Man you guys just keep the suggestions coming, thank you so much for the help!!! So many options.

So I am leaning used, with nicer parts over new with slightly cheaper parts. I assume just like a truck, a used bike with a good tune up and good maintenance will work just like new. Unless someone says otherwise...

Lets see if I am tracking right. Found this used giant on pinkbike. In my budget, and seems to have the right stuff. Only thing is it doesn't say frame size, I would need the large...

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1267678/
Old 03-12-2013, 09:55 AM   #27
kbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kbauman92's Tacoma Gallery
Its a large frame, 19" and im sure you could get him down from 1000 those are older frames i believe
Old 03-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #28
PELLEY's Tacoma Gallery
Ya I just saw they were from 2003... Question is, is an older bike like that worth the savings of $300 to $400...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbauman92 View Post
Its a large frame, 19" and im sure you could get him down from 1000 those are older frames i believe
Old 03-12-2013, 01:07 PM   #29
scottg918514 is on a distinguished road
scottg918514's Tacoma Gallery
This looks promising. High mid-level components, new and can get the size you want. I'm 6.0' even and ride a large in hardtail 29er. I used to ride med, but started have back issues. I still ride a med in my suspension 29er.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=400432366788</SPAN>
Old 03-12-2013, 01:14 PM   #30
andoskyy is on a distinguished road
andoskyy's Tacoma Gallery
A word of advice would be to buy a bike for the frame. Get the best frame you can afford. Components will break...cheap or top of the line.

When they break...replace them with good stuff.

Properly tuned, almost all mid level and up components will shift and stop you the same...the difference between a SRAM x7 and SRAM x0 is just weight.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #31
PELLEY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottg918514 View Post
This looks promising. High mid-level components, new and can get the size you want. I'm 6.0' even and ride a large in hardtail 29er. I used to ride med, but started have back issues. I still ride a med in my suspension 29er.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=400432366788</SPAN>
I am really feeling like I want to full suspension. A few people have mentioned the hard tails, but no reasoning as to why I would want that over full...
Old 03-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #32
PELLEY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by andoskyy View Post
A word of advice would be to buy a bike for the frame. Get the best frame you can afford. Components will break...cheap or top of the line.

When they break...replace them with good stuff.

Properly tuned, almost all mid level and up components will shift and stop you the same...the difference between a SRAM x7 and SRAM x0 is just weight.
Thanks for the good advice!!
Old 03-12-2013, 01:18 PM   #33
PELLEY's Tacoma Gallery
So I am now leaning towards the Trek Fuel EX series. Would like to get EX 7 or better, but even the 5 doesn't look too bad. I was looking at the prices of derailers and some of those parts and they seem to be reasonable if I want to upgrade later when they need replacing. I like the many mentions of buy a great frame. Just trying to pin down at what point do I need to consider the shock supplied as adequite or shitty. Like the difference between the EX 5 and 7 is the fox or rock shoxs... Still thinking used if I can find one, or last years model...
Old 03-12-2013, 01:24 PM   #34
2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
2ski4life7's Tacoma Gallery
Regarding the 29er, you only want the 29er if you are going to be mostly xc. They wont handle the jumps as well as a 26er or 650B. The 2x10 new 650B is the thing nowadays however your not going to find anything for less than 1500 in that regards.

As for bikes look at KHS. Depends on what bike you want i.e. xc or AM but the below link you could pry get the bike brand new last years model for 1000 or less OTD from an msrp of 1350. KHS has terrible marketing so they are stuck with bikes and are always having closeouts. Comes with decent components and uses the same DW link as most other more expensive bikes. You can also slowly upgrade parts. If your wanting new I would contact a bike shop and see what clearance models they can get.

Otherwise pinkbike and MTBR forums are your best bet.

http://khsbicycles.com/bikes/2013-khs-models/xc-104/
Old 03-12-2013, 01:27 PM   #35
2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
2ski4life7's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So I am now leaning towards the Trek Fuel EX series. Would like to get EX 7 or better, but even the 5 doesn't look too bad. I was looking at the prices of derailers and some of those parts and they seem to be reasonable if I want to upgrade later when they need replacing. I like the many mentions of buy a great frame. Just trying to pin down at what point do I need to consider the shock supplied as adequite or shitty. Like the difference between the EX 5 and 7 is the fox or rock shoxs... Still thinking used if I can find one, or last years model...
Trek has great deals in their online store but the better deals I think you have to buy in the store. Rock shox I think is getting to be on par with fox since they are owned by sram. I always picked fox but the new fox 34 and 36 forks feel like crap to me. Another thing, you wont notice a large difference in the shocks/forks until you get a lot of seat time on the bike. Maybe coming from a dirtbike background you might notice the differences faster than someone just learning.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:36 PM   #36
PELLEY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ski4life7 View Post
Trek has great deals in their online store but the better deals I think you have to buy in the store. Rock shox I think is getting to be on par with fox since they are owned by sram. I always picked fox but the new fox 34 and 36 forks feel like crap to me. Another thing, you wont notice a large difference in the shocks/forks until you get a lot of seat time on the bike. Maybe coming from a dirtbike background you might notice the differences faster than someone just learning.
Thanks for the tip. I know I probably won't notice a whole lot at first. My last full suspension bike was about 10 years old and had cheap parts so I am sure anything will feel awesome. I have been looking on Craigslist, there are a ton of EX 5 and a few EX 8's on there and within my budget. I am thinking this is my route unless someone wants to derail me and send me another way, haha. Don't worry, it's already happened like 10 times since I started this thread...
Old 03-12-2013, 01:43 PM   #37
scottg918514 is on a distinguished road
scottg918514's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I am really feeling like I want to full suspension. A few people have mentioned the hard tails, but no reasoning as to why I would want that over full...
1. Ur price range. Full sus more expensive, at ur price difficult to get a decent bike. My fs in $4k range, my ht in high $2k range.
2. 29er bigger wheel/tire, more forgiving, not quite full sus but closer then 26 ht. especially if u get a steel frame.

I ride my carbon ht 29er more than my fs 29er. I use my fs for extreme rock trails and long trips with unknowns. Also, ht easier clean and maintanance, so my primary bike this time of year.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #38
113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
113tac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for the tip. I know I probably won't notice a whole lot at first. My last full suspension bike was about 10 years old and had cheap parts so I am sure anything will feel awesome. I have been looking on Craigslist, there are a ton of EX 5 and a few EX 8's on there and within my budget. I am thinking this is my route unless someone wants to derail me and send me another way, haha. Don't worry, it's already happened like 10 times since I started this thread...
I really like my ex8 the main difference between pre 2012 or 13(I don't remember which) ex 8 and ex <8 is that they don't have the DRCV rear shock. The ex 8 climbs great and descends great. It's a fun bike with pretty good geometry. I have no problems with rocks although extra travel would be nice but it will be fine for a lot of things. The thing I like is that is beefier than a straight up XC bike but not as big as an all mountain bike. Over all it's a good choice especially for getting back on the bike
Old 03-12-2013, 03:34 PM   #39
PELLEY's Tacoma Gallery
I think I have settled on the Trek Fuel EX 8. I can find them on CL and other places right in my budget. Seems to be the right fit for what I am looking for. Wish me luck this week, hope to have one in the stable by the weekend so I can hit the trail Monday after work!

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/allmtn...2_1547crx.aspx
Old 03-12-2013, 03:54 PM   #40
jeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BM3 1st Div.
Name: Jeff
jeff b's Tacoma Gallery
That FATBIKE tires on the MUKLUK do absorb a lot! Most of the guys I ride with ride Pugsly or Fat Back. There is a number of manufacturers. I got mine on line from Treefort bikes. Awesome customer service! Find one and ride it. You wont want to ride anything else. Good luck,