Notices

Which entry Hardtail would be best?

Old 03-25-2013, 03:02 PM   #1
DesertSand has a spectacular aura aboutDesertSand has a spectacular aura about

Coast Guard:
DesertSand's Tacoma Gallery
Which entry Hardtail would be best?

Hey guys and gals,

Which entry level hardtail mountain bike would you recommend and why? The bike will be used for hard pack trails/ road riding/ and small jumps(at some point). I used to own a trek 3500(great bike) until it was stolen a few years ago on base no less but I digress. Also price point is 550.

Currently look at the following: cannonade trail 7, trek 3700, and the specialized hardrock.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:13 PM   #2
matadorCE is on a distinguished road
matadorCE's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought my first "real" mountain bike this past weekend. I went with a GT Avalanche 3.0. I rode some Treks (3900, Marlin, Wahoo) and they were nice but in the end the GT fit better for me and offered a lot of nice hardware for the price compared to the Treks.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
joshua721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoshua721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoshua721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoshua721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoshua721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoshua721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoshua721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoshua721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoshua721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoshua721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoshua721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Satcom
joshua721's Tacoma Gallery
those are all great bikes at that price ride each and find the one that feels comfortable to you.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:29 PM   #4
Tacoma Lover
SupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
SupraT's Tacoma Gallery
Have you rode a specilized rock hopper yet? I had one and it was a great all around bike
Old 03-25-2013, 04:10 PM   #5
DesertSand has a spectacular aura aboutDesertSand has a spectacular aura about

Coast Guard:
DesertSand's Tacoma Gallery
Have not seen a hopper in person yet, looks sweet but it would be a little out of my range. A used one might be an option if I could find one.

Forgot about Gt bikes... More to look in to haha
Old 03-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #6
trib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shed

trib's Tacoma Gallery
A hardtail is a good first choice for a mountain bike. One thing I'd look at is where the frame is made (I've cracked 2 tawaiianese steel hard tail frames) and make sure it has a good wheelset, otherwise you will be spending all your time and money truing your wheels after bagging about 5 rides.

Personally I had a GT-Idrive as my first rig and it held up well but the wheelset went south in no time.