Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Official Hiking thread.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:27 PM   #1
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Official Hiking thread.

Ok another thread got me thing about this. I know we have a few camping threads. but did not see a thread just for hiking.

All hiking talk,info what ever. What kinda stuff do you take on day hikes?

I have done some hiking and use a North Face solaris 35 back pack. Have some rope, snake bite kit, 2 flash lights extra batteries. Take more water then what i think iíll need. Also usually throw my North Face jacket in their for rain or wind. I need to get some more food i can just keep in it, I ate what i had in it.(like energy bars and stuff) I also take an out door GPS with extra batteries for it, Also all ways try and have a paper map of where I will be.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:00 PM   #2
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Multiple cell phones, preferably on different carriers.

I can't count the times that I was happy that I had Verizon and my work phone was T-Mobil. Never an emergency situation thankfully, but needing to get in touch with someone for business and having two options.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:09 PM   #3
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Multiple cell phones, preferably on different carriers.

I can't count the times that I was happy that I had Verizon and my work phone was T-Mobil. Never an emergency situation thankfully, but needing to get in touch with someone for business and having two options.
nice. around here Verizon is he best. i have it and get service on the middle of the lake when know one els can. I have had service like 30miles back into the mountains. Itís pretty spotty, but have had it more then once. If i donít have it i can usually get/find service not far away..

I also keep a whistle on the shoulder strap of my back pack. Where i can get to it without taking the pack off, great if i was to fall or something and could not get up or get the pack off. i do the same thing on my hunting back pack.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:42 AM   #4
MadMedic35 is on a distinguished road
MadMedic35's Tacoma Gallery
Four things above all else....cell phone, solar USB charger, Garmin Foretrex 401 with parking logged as a WP and my SteriPen for water refills.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:48 AM   #5
guitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
guitarjamman's Tacoma Gallery
I honestly think the most important item to carry is a compass followed closely by a magnesium flint block and decent knife. When I go day hiking, I always have way more materials than I need (sometimes ridiculed by others in a joking manner) but I never worry about having to spend a few night in case of an accident. For day hikes, I have an Osprey Momentum 34L pack that is always loaded with things.

Understand on a geographic level where you are hiking and the rough direction to the nearest road/town. If you get lost, it is rather simple to use a compass and follow the rough bearing back to people.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:54 AM   #6
jkirkpatrick is a glorious beacon of lightjkirkpatrick is a glorious beacon of lightjkirkpatrick is a glorious beacon of lightjkirkpatrick is a glorious beacon of lightjkirkpatrick is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Jason
jkirkpatrick's Tacoma Gallery
No cell coverage where I go backpacking.

Supplies:

Water treatment, bear spray, headlamp, extra wool socks, one change of clothes, minimal food (usually dried packaged food and snacks), camera, tent, paperback book, stove, pot, 250ml-500ml of fuel, bowl, spoon, air pad, and sleeping bag. 65L pack and try to pack as little as possible.

I also take a small note pad and journalize what I actually needed and used as a means of continually paring down my pack. Works very well for food as food weight adds up considerably.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:14 AM   #7
Av8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Taylor
Av8er's Tacoma Gallery
My gear:

BEFORE packed:

AFTER:

Old 04-04-2013, 06:16 AM   #8
Never Forget! 343
Bengland25 has much to be proud ofBengland25 has much to be proud ofBengland25 has much to be proud ofBengland25 has much to be proud ofBengland25 has much to be proud ofBengland25 has much to be proud ofBengland25 has much to be proud ofBengland25 has much to be proud of

Firefighter:
Name: Bradley
Bengland25's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkirkpatrick View Post
No cell coverage where I go backpacking.

Supplies:

Water treatment, bear spray, headlamp, extra wool socks, one change of clothes, minimal food (usually dried packaged food and snacks), camera, tent, paperback book, stove, pot, 250ml-500ml of fuel, bowl, spoon, air pad, and sleeping bag. 65L pack and try to pack as little as possible.

I also take a small note pad and journalize what I actually needed and used as a means of continually paring down my pack. Works very well for food as food weight adds up considerably.
Where us that?? It's beautiful there!
Old 04-04-2013, 06:19 AM   #9
guitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
guitarjamman's Tacoma Gallery

Yeah cellphones wouldn't help too much out here.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:22 AM   #10
jkirkpatrick is a glorious beacon of lightjkirkpatrick is a glorious beacon of lightjkirkpatrick is a glorious beacon of lightjkirkpatrick is a glorious beacon of lightjkirkpatrick is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengland25 View Post
This is at Mount Robson (BC, Canada). End of the Bird Lake Trail, about 23km from the parking lot. It's a super scenic trip. The elevation gain is brutal, but well worth it, as you can see by the pictures. It's become an annual pilgrimage for the wife and I.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:32 AM   #11
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarjamman View Post
I honestly think the most important item to carry is a compass followed closely by a magnesium flint block and decent knife. When I go day hiking, I always have way more materials than I need (sometimes ridiculed by others in a joking manner) but I never worry about having to spend a few night in case of an accident. For day hikes, I have an Osprey Momentum 34L pack that is always loaded with things.

Understand on a geographic level where you are hiking and the rough direction to the nearest road/town. If you get lost, it is rather simple to use a compass and follow the rough bearing back to people.
x2
My Cammenga compass w/ a topo map is my number one take along.
Also I let someone know my plans/route just in case
Old 04-04-2013, 08:09 AM   #12
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
If I'm day packing, I'll throw the bare essentials in for one night, steripen, stove, one meal, fire starter, roll of TP, flashlight, GPS, jacket, just incase I get injured. The place I go is a fairly busy trail, and its too steep to venture off much. There arent really many trees either, and the creek runs right to the parking lot. Not really any way to get lost. Also I know the area really well. These pics are from a little further than a day hike. Sorry for the HUGE pics.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:20 AM   #14
GO VOLS!

nice list of stuff guys and gals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooman View Post
If I'm day packing, I'll throw the bare essentials in for one night, steripen, stove, one meal, fire starter, roll of TP, flashlight, GPS, jacket, just incase I get injured. The place I go is a fairly busy trail, and its too steep to venture off much. There arent really many trees either, and the creek runs right to the parking lot. Not really any way to get lost. Also I know the area really well. These pics are from a little further than a day hike. Sorry for the HUGE pics.

wow. very nice pic! I think i saw them in the camping thread. or some like it.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:26 AM   #15
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnRedNeck721 View Post
nice list of stuff guys and gals!

wow. very nice pic! I think i saw them in the camping thread. or some like it.
Yeah, I put them in that thread, I think.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:13 PM   #16
toughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
toughtaco's Tacoma Gallery
I am getting excited about the upcoming hiking season. I am going to do some cross training with a heavy weight pack, loaded with about 50 to 75 lb of nonsense gear. Just going for the weight though for the training aspect. I checked out some spots today where you can just hike for ever. I will take some pics, if its half way decent next Sunday I will get everyone out for a hike.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:32 PM   #18
GO VOLS!

Here is the back pack i use, Nothing big or anything. I had got it and used it for school for 2 years, and now use it as a day pack for hiking. I can fit what i need for a day hike. Little bit of food, water. ect.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:51 PM   #19
Adjunct Anarchist
Papa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Radio Operator
Name: Papa Tac
Papa Tac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengland25 View Post
Not BIRD Lake, but Berg Lake, yes on Mt Robson, highest peak in the 10 Canadian provinces.
I knew it from the first photo. One of my favourite places. A must-do, and a must repeat.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:19 PM   #20

Yep, Berg Lake. Thanks for the correction. Doing Skyline this year. Hope to get some good shots and if I do, I'll come back and post a few.