Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Camping - Tent advice, need some.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
Camping - Tent advice, need some.

So, my wife and I started taking our boys camping last year. They are 4 and 2, will be 5 and almost 3 by the time we are camping this year. We had a blast and plan on doing it quite a bit. 3-5 times a year for 2-4 days at a time.

We weren't sure how often if at all we would be able to do it last year so we started off with a pretty cheap basic dome tent. It works. We got dumped on one night all night and it leaked quite a bit. We decided this year we want to upgrade to a better tent. I was given some Cabelas gift cards for a birthday and have decided to buy a tent from them. We want a 6 person for various reasons. One is room obviously, with the kids we need a lot of stuff.

Do any of you have any experience with these three? What's the major difference between a $100 tent and a $500 tent? Is it worth it? Are there other 6 person tents, not Cabelas, brands I should be looking at? We live in Western Washington so rain protection is a must plus it gets pretty cold, freezing temps, even mid-summer in the mountains.

Thanks!

Cabelas Alaskan Geodesic 6 person

Cabelas West Wind 6 person

Cabelas XPG Expedition 6 Person

Old 04-21-2013, 12:01 PM   #4
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseRed008 View Post
Yes, thanks tho. I wasn't able to find specific remarks about the tents I am interested in. There were some good REI tent comments but I'm stuck at Cabelas. (due to the gift cards)
Old 04-21-2013, 09:35 PM   #6
kd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Henry
kd8bao's Tacoma Gallery
Full coverage rain fly like the ones shown def help. Scotch guard the rain fly before you use it on the inside. Seam seal the tent over the stitching. Make sure the ground cloths are good quality and make sure your not touching the sides of the tent. The contact will draw moisture into and through the fabric. That's all I can think right now. With a little digging you can probably find out who makes the cabelas brand tent. Kelly is a good brand if you want "name brand". They have been around for years.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:42 PM   #7
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
You could try REI.com, they can be spendy down to cheap/on sale.

No experience with either 3.
The 2 more expensive tents have higher wind and rain ratings it looks. Perhaps 4 seasons too instead of the summer/mild seasons.

You can treat the seams for water repellency, also set up a tarp under the tent... not hanging out to catch more rain. Keep sleeping bags a few inches from the sides too so they don't wick up the moisture.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:28 AM   #8
Recklessly tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoyota View Post
You could try REI.com, they can be spendy down to cheap/on sale.

No experience with either 3.
The 2 more expensive tents have higher wind and rain ratings it looks. Perhaps 4 seasons too instead of the summer/mild seasons.

You can treat the seams for water repellency, also set up a tarp under the tent... not hanging out to catch more rain. Keep sleeping bags a few inches from the sides too so they don't wick up the moisture.
Thanks for the tips, unfortunately (maybe?) I'm stuck with Cabelas because of the gift cards. I'm reading great things about their tents but it's all from reviews on the Cabelas.com site. I was just hoping to fine someone on here with experience either with the tents, or other tents sold at Cabelas.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:29 AM   #9
BS1981 is on a distinguished road

EMS: Onsite Medical, Amazon.com
Name: Greg
BS1981's Tacoma Gallery
Cabelas also sells the Kodiak Canvas tents. http://www.kodiakcanvas.com/ These are nice tents as well. Look at the flex bow 10x10. They are slightly cheaper than the higher end Cabelas tents, and made of a new age canvas. I have also been looking at the Cabelas tents, and looking at the Kodiaks, and I am in the same boat as you, I have a 4 and 2 year old and soon to be 5 &3 so space is necessary. If you do some google searches comparing the cabelas tents vs kodiaks or springbars, you will find so much info. I also think the Kodiak tent is an easier set up vs the cabelas with the poles and rain fly, etc. Hope this helps!
Old 04-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #10
Recklessly tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS1981 View Post
Cabelas also sells the Kodiak Canvas tents. http://www.kodiakcanvas.com/ These are nice tents as well. Look at the flex bow 10x10. They are slightly cheaper than the higher end Cabelas tents, and made of a new age canvas. I have also been looking at the Cabelas tents, and looking at the Kodiaks, and I am in the same boat as you, I have a 4 and 2 year old and soon to be 5 &3 so space is necessary. If you do some google searches comparing the cabelas tents vs kodiaks or springbars, you will find so much info. I also think the Kodiak tent is an easier set up vs the cabelas with the poles and rain fly, etc. Hope this helps!
Thanks for the tips, I'll definitely look at the Kodiaks. Let me know if you decide to pull the trigger soon.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:01 PM   #11
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
I've owned many tents. My favorites have been Kelty tents. Yes, you get what you pay for up to a certain extent.

A good tent should be at least $250. Don't buy a cheap Coleman tent, for the reason you already learned (they leak).

In general, to protect against the elements, make sure the rainfly covers the whole tent, not just the top. Also, make sure stiching at the bottom is raised and not directly on the floor/wall seam.

Also, don't buy a tent bigger than you need, cause some sites have small areas to put a tent in.

Check the reviews of the tents you are considering. They will lead to some things you will learn what you are really looking for in a tent.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #12
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
I don't have any experience with either of the above mentioned tents, but I have a Kelty 54L backpack that is great and exceeded all of my expectations. Well designed, comfortable and great quality. Best of all, it was reasonably priced, lower than the big names such as North Face, etc.

Based on my experience, I would definitely consider a Kelty tent.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #13
BostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
BostonBilly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd8bao View Post
Full coverage rain fly like the ones shown def help. Scotch guard the rain fly before you use it on the inside. Seam seal the tent over the stitching. Make sure the ground cloths are good quality and make sure your not touching the sides of the tent. The contact will draw moisture into and through the fabric. That's all I can think right now. With a little digging you can probably find out who makes the cabelas brand tent. Kelly is a good brand if you want "name brand". They have been around for years.
All good info ^ I also put a tarp under it. Also buy bigger than you think you need, cause the way they class tents is off.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #14
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
that West wind looks pretty good for the money!! get that one.

i like the vestibule area. great area to get wet stuff off of wet kids. i know your kids are little, but tents can get kinda small. my wife and i car camp with a 6-man tent. we set up cots, and live pretty palatially. room for our small dog too!

have fun, camping with kids seems like alot of fun!
Old 04-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #15
BS1981 is on a distinguished road

EMS: Onsite Medical, Amazon.com
Name: Greg
BS1981's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightnfire View Post
Thanks for the tips, I'll definitely look at the Kodiaks. Let me know if you decide to pull the trigger soon.
No problem man! I will let you know when I pick one up, it will probably be around June when I get it.