Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Fish Keepers Thread!!!

Old 04-22-2013, 11:26 AM   #1
D.ont I.nsult C.razy K.illers
KevbekTacoma is a jewel in the roughKevbekTacoma is a jewel in the roughKevbekTacoma is a jewel in the roughKevbekTacoma is a jewel in the rough

Name: Kev
KevbekTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Fish Keepers Thread!!!

I'm sure we got some taco owners who are also aquarium hobbyists? Lets use this thread to post pics of our tanks and talk fish! Salt or freshwater! I'll start

Old 04-22-2013, 11:40 AM   #2
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
Nice tank.

A couple of mine...
80g planted freshie

28g salty

Old 04-22-2013, 11:52 AM   #3
ThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
ThatGuy18's Tacoma Gallery
I've been contemplating a saltwater tank for a couple of years. The freshwater stuff doesn't appeal to me near as much as the saltwater but as I understand, saltwater takes a lot more maintenance compared to the freshwater.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
Yea, saltwater is great. So many more living things than a freshwater. They are a lot of work though. My 28g sw is at least twice the maintenance than the 80g fw, especially if you want a reef. A sw that is fish only with live rock (FOWLR) isn't that bad, but to me, the corals are what makes a sw fun.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #5
ThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Fades View Post
Yea, saltwater is great. So many more living things than a freshwater. They are a lot of work though. My 28g sw is at least twice the maintenance than the 80g fw, especially if you want a reef. A sw that is fish only with live rock (FOWLR) isn't that bad, but to me, the corals are what makes a sw fun.
I would definitely want a reef tank. I was thinking something in the 20-30g range would be a good start. I don't want to go super small but I wouldn't want anything real big either. How many fish do you currently have in your 28g?
Old 04-22-2013, 12:11 PM   #6

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
I have 3, a bangai cardinal, percula clown, 6-line wrasse. Inverts don't count toward bioload, and I have a fire shrimp, cleaner shrimp, emerald crab, serpent star, and various snails.

As a general rule of thumb, for sw, 1 inch of fish per 10 gallons. So with a tank as small as mine, very limited as to the amount and type of fish. Not many sw fish stay small. Also, some fish, although not that big (like tangs), need at least 150 gallons.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Fades View Post
I have 3, a bangai cardinal, percula clown, 6-line wrasse. Inverts don't count toward bioload, and I have a fire shrimp, cleaner shrimp, emerald crab, serpent star, and various snails.

As a general rule of thumb, for sw, 1 inch of fish per 10 gallons. So with a tank as small as mine, very limited as to the amount and type of fish. Not many sw fish stay small. Also, some fish, although not that big (like tangs), need at least 150 gallons.
So 3" of fish for a 30g tank? Isn't that like one fish?
Old 04-22-2013, 12:17 PM   #8

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy18 View Post
So 3" of fish for a 30g tank? Isn't that like one fish?
Yea, pretty much. I am considered overstocked, lol.

You can maintain slightly overstocking by doing weekly waterchanges, and making sure not to overfeed.

livingreefs.com is a great forum
Old 04-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #9
Johnsredline is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnsredline is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnsredline is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnsredline is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnsredline is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnsredline is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnsredline is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnsredline is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnsredline is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnsredline is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnsredline is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Johnsredline's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #10
choppersx has much to be proud ofchoppersx has much to be proud ofchoppersx has much to be proud ofchoppersx has much to be proud ofchoppersx has much to be proud ofchoppersx has much to be proud ofchoppersx has much to be proud ofchoppersx has much to be proud ofchoppersx has much to be proud ofchoppersx has much to be proud of

Name: Frank
choppersx's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 38 gallon Freshwater, have some gouramis. rainbow shark, Dojo , angel fish and a Newt
Attached Thumbnails
Fish Keepers Thread!!!-tank.jpg   Fish Keepers Thread!!!-newt.jpg   Fish Keepers Thread!!!-newt2.jpg  
Old 04-22-2013, 01:06 PM   #11
KevbekTacoma is a jewel in the roughKevbekTacoma is a jewel in the roughKevbekTacoma is a jewel in the roughKevbekTacoma is a jewel in the rough

Cool fish guys! Love that color in that discus!
I wish I had time to go with salt. I love the way the colors pop, and of course the options of fish r amazing. However, being stuck with freshwater, and going through a few different setups, one will start to appreciate fresh and how awesome it can be
Old 04-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #12
raskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
raskal311's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 225 gallon starfire tank sitting in my living room empty. Not sure what I want to do with it yet. it was a reef tank for the past 3 years until I lost interest. Maybe a planted tank next.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by raskal311 View Post
I have a 225 gallon starfire tank sitting in my living room empty. Not sure what I want to do with it yet. it was a reef tank for the past 3 years until I lost interest. Maybe a planted tank next.
Make it a freshwater predator tank!
Old 04-26-2013, 03:29 PM   #14

Bump fr shits and giggles
Old 04-26-2013, 07:08 PM   #15
Maximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: D
Maximus's Tacoma Gallery
Little 10g
Attached Thumbnails
Fish Keepers Thread!!!-image.jpg  
Old 04-29-2013, 04:47 PM   #16

Took a few pictures of my fish today
A shot of my tire track eel with one of my massive convict cichlids

Here's my clown knife. Over a foot now!

Got some shots of my plecos

Here's a pic I edited of one of my sisters turtles from her tank
Old 05-29-2013, 03:28 PM   #17

Bump
Old 05-29-2013, 06:37 PM   #18
Maximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: D
Maximus's Tacoma Gallery
Need suggestions, I am moving soon and have to drive 8 hours to my destination. What would be the best way to transport 1 betta fish, 5 Cory catfish, neon tetras, and 2 dwarf frogs? I would hate to have to sell these guys
Old 05-30-2013, 08:41 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Need suggestions, I am moving soon and have to drive 8 hours to my destination. What would be the best way to transport 1 betta fish, 5 Cory catfish, neon tetras, and 2 dwarf frogs? I would hate to have to sell these guys
That's really tough. 8 hours is pretty long :/

I'd say put them in as large if a container as possible. (This will suck when ur driving) put some ice packs on one end, ad a heat source on the other. The best thing u can probably do is buy an airstone too. You have to keep excess oxygen in the water to help with the stress.
Not to sure though man :/
Old 09-03-2013, 10:35 PM   #20
blake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
blake5995's Tacoma Gallery