1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cigar tips/advice/suggestions

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by tarheelfan_08, May 28, 2013.

1. May 28, 2013 at 7:41 PM
    tarheelfan_08

tarheelfan_08 [OP] Carolina Alliance

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 White 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma Short Bed
    Chrome Grill, Chrome accessories(door handles and mirror covers), LEER Super White Cover, Mirrors with Turn Signals, Window Vent Visors, Step Rails, WeatherTech Digital Floor Mats, Mini Maglight Holder, Chrome Bull Bar
    Found a couple threads but nothing that had tons of information on it so I thought I would start something for everyone. I recently have been looking for a fun hobby to do now that I am married. I currently lift weights and play golf but I needed something a bit more relaxing that I could do around home so I started collecting cigars. To start I knew I needed a humidor if I was going to do this. I purchased myself a small humidor that holds 25 cigars. Nothing fancy or expensive but it looks nice, wife loves it as a decoration piece and it suits my needs. It does seal air tight though and if I put a dollar bill in it securely holds the bill when pulling it.

It had a built in hygrometer but upon researching I found out those can be inaccurate so I purchased a digital Xikar hygrometer to go along with it. I then seasoned my humidor and placed in the hygrometer. I am still working on getting the humidity right and may switch from a humidifier to beads before long. Currently the temperature sits between 69-71 and humidity is ranging from 70%-76%. I want it between 65%-70%. Once I get that just right I will load in my cigars. I plan to post some pictures of my setup for everyone to see, once I get a chance.

But until then let's hear every one's tips, and suggestions for keeping the humidor just right and what kinds of cigars they prefer.

My first tips:

1. Be patient. Setting up the humidor takes time and detail do not rush it. It is better to get it right from the start then half way do it and ruin cigars. The point of this box is to keep them fresh for extended periods of time and if you do not do this its wasted money.

2. Make sure the box is air tight. Two test I found when researching is that if you drop the lid from three or more inches it should have a whoosh sound(pushing air out). If it slams, it is letting air in. Second if you can close a dollar bill in between the box and lid and pull the box around without removing the dollar it is holding air.

3. Monitor the humidity and temperature. If it is over heated in the box, you can cause tobacco Beatles to hatch which will ruin your cigars. From my research they hatch above 77 degrees.

4. Get a second hygrometer. In case one fails you have a backup and to ensure that they are close to the same.

5. TEST: Everything I read says to use distilled water to fill the humidifier and season the box. I did not have any at hand and used small amounts of bottled water. I will update this in a few weeks to see if that is successful.

6. Check the cigars. If they are not drying out, getting to moist, and smoking great then leave the humidity as is. If they are not keeping as you hope, adjust the box. It's all a mater of your taste and the cigar.

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  2. May 29, 2013 at 10:18 AM
    tarheelfan_08

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Chrome Grill, Chrome accessories(door handles and mirror covers), LEER Super White Cover, Mirrors with Turn Signals, Window Vent Visors, Step Rails, WeatherTech Digital Floor Mats, Mini Maglight Holder, Chrome Bull Bar
    Was able to leave the humidor open for about 30 minutes today and after closing humidity levels look to be sitting around 69%-71% sitting at 70 degrees.

3. May 29, 2013 at 1:57 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    i would smoke them on hunting trips and bbq parties. seemed to really start to take a hold on me. i stopped. i was taking notes on the ones i liked and the ones i didnt.

i think given a short amount of time, it would have been a full blown habit. i really started to like them and crave them. not so sure i would label cigars a hobby. not for me.

i am leaving sunday for some long ass hiking fishing trip. a couple of good cigars would be badass..but i think i should pass.

same goes for smokeless. a 10 day deer trip can leave you wanting more when you get home.

sounds like you've done your homework. have fun with it. your wife let you smoke them in the house?

4. May 30, 2013 at 11:18 AM
    tarheelfan_08

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Luckily I only have 1 a month if that and I do not crave them at all. As for smoking in the house that is a no. She cannot stand the smell and simply I cannot either when its inside.

Products Discussed in

To Top