Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Mountain Bike VS. Road Bike

Old 06-08-2013, 01:28 PM   #21
alwaysfaded is on a distinguished road

Name: Adam
alwaysfaded's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you everybody who commented on this thread!

This morning I left and it had 1 response LOL. That being said I went down to a local bike shop in my town and left with this :

It was used, and I got it for a great deal. That being said I went on a 12 mile ride and I like it a lot so far! Although my butt hurts alittle bit..

I definitely need to invest in a lock. I am scared to lock it anywhere though cause I know thieves are everywhere.

I also bought a led front headlight, and a rear led tail light with all kinds of features on it. Pretty cool. I'm excited! I want to ride it all the time now.
Attached Thumbnails
Mountain Bike VS. Road Bike-trek-fx-7.2.jpg  
Old 06-08-2013, 01:30 PM   #22

Oh yeah.. It's a Trek Fx 7.2. Bought it without any research on it at all. Seems great for my needs so far though
Old 06-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #23
curmudgeon
Pliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: they call me Bruce
Pliny's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysfaded View Post
Thank you everybody who commented on this thread!

This morning I left and it had 1 response LOL. That being said I went down to a local bike shop in my town and left with this :

It was used, and I got it for a great deal. That being said I went on a 12 mile ride and I like it a lot so far! Although my butt hurts alittle bit..

I definitely need to invest in a lock. I am scared to lock it anywhere though cause I know thieves are everywhere.

I also bought a led front headlight, and a rear led tail light with all kinds of features on it. Pretty cool. I'm excited! I want to ride it all the time now.
This is the most important thing. Glad you found something that works for you

As for the seat - some of it is just, well, you'll get used to it. But it is also bike fit and there is a reason why there are so many different shapes and sizes (everyone's butt's a little different, and sit-bone width matters). My guess is you won't have any discomfort after about the first month of riding. It really only starts to matter if you start doing longer rides (say, over an hour).
Old 06-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #24
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Oh yeah.. It's a Trek Fx 7.2. Bought it without any research on it at all. Seems great for my needs so far though
Hybrid FTW!!
Old 06-21-2013, 08:06 AM   #25
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
get a cyclocross bike.

i love my Surly Crosscheck. the pros are plentiful. a Xcross bike is pretty burly. so hopping off a curb is no problem. tires are typically fatter and more cushiony. you can haul ass almost as fast as you can on a roadie. most cyclocross bikes have tabs that you can attach racks and/or baskets..even fenders. so a rainy commute wont put that racing strip down your back.

i've done some dirt trails and it doesnt suck. i've since bought gatorskin tires which are not knobbied so i stay on pavement now.

locking it? if i had to leave it for a long time..i am using my motorcycle cable. bike locks are easy. i lost my key once and broke a u-lock with my OEM chevy jack.
riding a Mountain bike on the street feels so slow and cumbersome..
Old 06-21-2013, 11:58 AM   #26
blysccr is on a distinguished road
blysccr's Tacoma Gallery
^/thread

my ss cross bike cruises
Old 06-21-2013, 12:11 PM   #27
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughtaco View Post
1. You can only ride a road bike on the road.
2. You can ride a mt. bike anywhere you want.....
3. Go for the mt. bike!!!! A whole lot more fun!!!!
what he said X10. In addition, I changed my tires to hybrid type tires as I do about half and half... helps for your road outings.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:25 PM   #28
Needs money for mods
HombreSteven is on a distinguished road

HombreSteven's Tacoma Gallery
I do both and mountain biking is a hell of a lot more fun and a better workout. But if ts only for commuting get a road bike you'll save time and energy getting to and from work. Just my .02
Old 06-22-2013, 07:29 AM   #29
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by HombreSteven View Post
I do both and mountain biking is a hell of a lot more fun and a better workout. But if ts only for commuting get a road bike you'll save time and energy getting to and from work. Just my .02
Agreed. But MTB bike on city streets is not fun. Not for me. I have a four mile city ride to get to my trailhead from my home. It is torture until I hit the dirt and hills.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:31 AM   #30
I bring the feel goods
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
You guys know the op bought a hybrid right? So..../thread.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:31 AM   #31
I bring the feel goods
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

:
Old 06-22-2013, 07:46 AM   #32
The "Search" tab is your friend!!
steviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Steve
steviestyles's Tacoma Gallery
I love my hybrid bike Trek DS 8.4 great on the road, and can do light to moderate trails.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:16 AM   #33
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamSarcasm View Post
You guys know the op bought a hybrid right? So..../thread.
Yea. I was talking to a responder.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:52 PM   #34
Get busy living, or get busy dying.
teamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really nice

Royal Canadian Air Force: Top Secret
teamfast's Tacoma Gallery
You can take a mtb on the road but not vice versa. I commute 12 km er day on my FS mtn bike. Definately not efficient, but i get a better workout. Then on weekends i can hit the trails.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:31 PM   #35

So I have ridden about 300 miles on the bike so far. I like it.. However, I am wanting a full road bike now. I want to go faster! Started off averaging 13 mph, now im up to 19. Feel like the bike is holding me back lol
Old 07-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #36
I bring the feel goods

That's awesome! I've been looking for something like that. I'll sell you a kryptonite lock for your front wheel, brand new

If your wondering...I have two and have used neither...mostly due to not wanting to use my bike as commuter
Old 07-05-2013, 10:10 PM   #37
I bring the feel goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by dually View Post
On the topic of locks. I'm moving to DC in a couple weeks and picked up one of these http://www.knog.com.au/gear-locks/bouncer.phps

They're beefy and double as a weapon if it ever came down to that.
Woah Wong page lol. My post was referring to this

But that's awesome op. I would continue to ride it until October/November then get a full road bike. you will save a ton of money in a year end sale. then you'll have a commuter and a road bike
Old 07-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #38
Quote:
So I have ridden about 300 miles on the bike so far. I like it.. However, I am wanting a full road bike now. I want to go faster! Started off averaging 13 mph, now im up to 19. Feel like the bike is holding me back lol
cool!!

still think a great cyclocross bike is the thing for you. they are essentially roadbikes..with some small beefy component changes. i've gone thousands of miles on mine. some of them on fire-roads.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:23 AM   #39
if i could figure out how to sell my kidney..i would get this!

Vanilla Cyclocross bike!!

if there is a divine being..he rides this!
Attached Thumbnails
Mountain Bike VS. Road Bike-vanilla.jpg  
Old 07-08-2013, 10:27 AM   #40
I bring the feel goods

A cross bike is definitely my next purchase! Not for a few years though, want to get out of college before I start dropping some more money