LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Mountain Bike VS. Road Bike

Old 07-08-2013, 10:28 AM   #41
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
I have a road and mountain bike and will tell you for commuting the road bike will be better unless you're really pounding on it constantly.

Due to spine and hand problems and a wrist surgery I unfortunately have had to give up the drop bars. I would recommend a cyclocross to you as well but IF you like the upright riding position better there are hybrid options. I just picked up a Trek 7.5 FX to accomodate my spine/hands and in the first week my top speed has been 26 mph. Not great, but I am more than comfortable for commuting.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:40 AM   #42
Listen More that Speak... Answer When Asked
NorthRoad is on a distinguished road

Canadian Army: Troop Commander _ Armoured Recce; Battle Tanks
NorthRoad's Tacoma Gallery
Look at a second set of rims w/road-slicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysfaded View Post
So I have ridden about 300 miles on the bike so far. I like it.. However, I am wanting a full road bike now. I want to go faster! Started off averaging 13 mph, now im up to 19. Feel like the bike is holding me back lol
Looks like hybrid tire pattern from the pic? What is the PSI rating on those?

I hear your pain. I had trouble balancing, keeping up with the kids on trails and keeping speed in the city. My solution... old school solid frame 'Rocky Mountain Fusion' (actually bought it new in 92!?) and two sets of wheels.
  1. Mountain 'nubbs' for trips into the hills
  2. Road slicks (@80/100 PSI) for the pavement
Kept same rim width so break adjustments are identical... both rear sprockets have been tuned to be interchangeable! Just put in +++km over the Yellowhead Pass with full touring gear on the slicks... got there, swapped rubber and played on the trails.
Can post a pic if you like?

Even though we are a truck board... for riding. Demand your lane and let'em go around!

Cheers NorthRoad
Old 07-13-2013, 04:29 PM   #43
alwaysfaded is on a distinguished road

Name: Adam
alwaysfaded's Tacoma Gallery
So I didn't know what the PSI on the tires were. I went to my local bike shop and he told me around 60 PSI. He told me if I wanted to go faster, replace the tires with skinny tires, and tubes. Like you said around 100 PSI. I think that would be a good idea.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:12 AM   #44
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
I have found going from 28s to 25 on my hybrid to be the most efficient/still comfortable and definitely picked up a few mph just from that small change.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:39 AM   #45
mechanically retarded
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
Yeah 25s are the best of both worlds. I would not want to commute on 23s but that's. personal preference.