Notices

Mountain Bike VS. Road Bike

Old 06-07-2013, 09:34 PM   #1
alwaysfaded is on a distinguished road

Name: Adam
alwaysfaded's Tacoma Gallery
Mountain Bike VS. Road Bike

What's up everybody.

I am looking to start cycling to work. My commute is about 6 miles each way. Slightly downhill on the way there, and slightly uphill on the way home lol... Its an urban setting with moderate to heavy traffic. I am in the market for a new bike and don't really know which one to go with. I like the idea of a mountain bike because if I needed to I could jump on and off curbs with ease if need be. But a road bike might be faster?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-07-2013, 09:42 PM   #2
Fortified with horsepower-adding goodness...
WHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vance
WHPLSH3's Tacoma Gallery
Road bikes are geared for ass-haulin'. They're also made with lighter weight materials so they don't sap so much from you. They'll still go off road, they just aren't suited for the climb up the goat trail out of the river valley
Old 06-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #4
I bring the feel goods w/a heavy load of sarcasm
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
Check out a cross bike if you want speed and durability. Both will suit you fine I perosnally like road bikes for urban stuff because shocks soak up your power if you punch it, especially going up hills. Road bikes are good, but don't be jumping it and crap.

Cross bikes are pretty sweet though! If I had a reason I would get one

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/spo...yclocross.html

If you go with a road/cross style I suggest components between shimano tiagra or 105 and sram apex or rival. Those seem to be the best value for their money in my book.

I've read tiagra is equivalent to apex and 105 is equivalent to rival but that's subjective.

I think tiagra/apex is pretty decent for commuting, but if you get bit by the cycling bug 105/rival would be better cost effective wise. Cant go wrong with anything, I am rocking tiagra and have no complaints.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #5
n00b waffle
mutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mutilatedjak's Tacoma Gallery
Get a hybrid bike or get some 1-1.5 in slick tires for the mountain bike to help it roll faster
Old 06-08-2013, 12:14 PM   #6
curmudgeon
TimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: they call me Bruce
TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamSarcasm View Post
Check out a cross bike if you want speed and durability. Both will suit you fine I perosnally like road bikes for urban stuff because shocks soak up your power if you punch it, especially going up hills. Road bikes are good, but don't be jumping it and crap.

If you go with a road/cross style I suggest components between shimano tiagra or 105 and sram apex or rival. Those seem to be the best value for their money in my book.

I've read tiagra is equivalent to apex and 105 is equivalent to rival but that's subjective.

I think tiagra/apex is pretty decent for commuting, but if you get bit by the cycling bug 105/rival would be better cost effective wise. Cant go wrong with anything, I am rocking tiagra and have no complaints.
This is all good info.

FWIW I've ridden my carbon roadie with fancy carbon wheels on single track and not broken anything. I jump curbs on all my bikes. YMMV

Definitely get a roadie. Make sure you can at least fit 28mm tires. The bigger the better.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:17 PM   #7
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
Get a fatty. You'll love it
Old 06-08-2013, 12:20 PM   #8
curmudgeon
TimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
You might also want to look into a sport-touring or rando style bike. The geometry will be better suited for commuting (more stable and less twitchy) than a true CX bike.

One serious thing to consider: You didn't mention a budget, but if you don't have a secure place to lock up, make sure you have multiple u locks, especially if you can't bring it into your office or bike room.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:22 PM   #9
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dually View Post
Get a fatty. You'll love it
If you love to tear up your legs LOL
Old 06-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #10
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dually's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by babytruck View Post
If you love to tear up your legs LOL
Its pretty much all I ride! Raced a gravel bike race on it too.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:25 PM   #11
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedjak View Post
Get a hybrid bike or get some 1-1.5 in slick tires for the mountain bike to help it roll faster

I agree with a cross or hybrid. If you put thinner tires on a hybrid, keep in mind two things:

1. If you plan on putting thinner tires on a mtn bike, Hybrid tires are not that easy to find in 26" tires, which is the usual size of mtn tires.

2. If you DO plan to put on a hybrid wheel/tire combo on a mtn bike, keep in mind about brake contact.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #12
I bring the feel goods w/a heavy load of sarcasm
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post

One serious thing to consider: You didn't mention a budget, but if you don't have a secure place to lock up, make sure you have multiple u locks, especially if you can't bring it into your office or bike room.
I was about to mention that, If the bike will be kept out side go with lower end components, so if it does get stolen it wont be such a big hit. Which is a great excuse to buy a nicer one if you do get bit by the bug

Also get one of these http://www.kryptonitelock.com/Pages/...PNumber=000952 or get their new york lock. Never use a cable or chain lock. I work at my campuses police station and I have seen every u-bolt lock cut except for this brand. Which is why I got one

My rule is that if I am not on my bike, it is not outside, so far it hasnt been stolen . and doesnt matter if it is inside or outside, keep a lock on it
Old 06-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dually View Post
Its pretty much all I ride! Raced a gravel bike race on it too.
Then you must have gargantuan legs! Are you a member of BF? (that's my cycling site)
Old 06-08-2013, 12:27 PM   #14

Quote:
I was about to mention that, If the bike will be kept out side go with lower end components, so if it does get stolen it wont be such a big hit. Which is a great excuse to buy a nicer one if you do get bit by the bug

Also get one of these http://www.kryptonitelock.com/Pages/...PNumber=000952 or get their new york lock. Never use a cable or chain lock. I work at my campuses police station and I have seen every u-bolt lock cut except for this brand. Which is why I got one

My rule is that if I am not on my bike, it is not outside, so far it hasnt been stolen . and doesnt matter if it is inside or outside, keep a lock on it

Our saying goes, "The lighter the bike, the heavier the lock". My lock is 10 lbs. My bike is 18 lbs.

But I've never used the lock. I'm too scared to leave the bike unattended.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #15
curmudgeon

TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
FWIW any u lock can be cut like butter with an angle grinder. Including the new york's. I had a friend lose the key to her bike with one of those. Didn't take long to get through.

I pretty rarely lock up outside (bikes are all too nice to be outside ), but when I do, I bring 3 u locks and make sure to park it next to the worst locked up bike. It's all about opportunity.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #16
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
teneighty's Tacoma Gallery
You'd have a much better time and easier time on the road bike... I personally hate road biking and have a Mt bike but when I ride mine into town town to get to a trail it sucks! I just truck it everywhere I go now. If all you want to do is jump off a curb here and there... Get the road bike skip the jumps. Or just buy both!!
Old 06-08-2013, 12:45 PM   #17
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
I bought a 29er mtn bike thinking I'd ride it around my small college town plus the off chance that I'd take it on a trail or two.

Hated it. Lockouts made riding on the road better, but I felt more comfortable on my dads 40 year old roadie than on a 2012 bike. If you're getting it to commute, get a bike that was designed for the road.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
FWIW any u lock can be cut like butter with an angle grinder. Including the new york's. I had a friend lose the key to her bike with one of those. Didn't take long to get through.

I pretty rarely lock up outside (bikes are all too nice to be outside ), but when I do, I bring 3 u locks and make sure to park it next to the worst locked up bike. It's all about opportunity.
Good tip! And yes, any lock can be cut or broken given the right tools and time. What's kind of strange is that although some of those locks have a built in "insurance" of up to $1,000+ (depending upon the lock), they say that in order to receive compensation, you have to send in the destroyed lock so they can examine it. But... Usually the thief won't leave the lock there. Or if they do, most likely someone cruising by will pick it up.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #19
Low and slow

dually's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by babytruck View Post
Then you must have gargantuan legs! Are you a member of BF? (that's my cycling site)
BF? cant say I am! Shoot me a pm with info?
Old 06-08-2013, 12:58 PM   #20
Low and slow

dually's Tacoma Gallery
On the topic of locks. I'm moving to DC in a couple weeks and picked up one of these http://www.knog.com.au/gear-locks/bouncer.phps

They're beefy and double as a weapon if it ever came down to that.