Ironman 70.3 or Ironman

Old 06-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
Kick His A$$ Seabass
TigerTaco is on a distinguished road

Navy:
Name: Austin
TigerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Ironman 70.3 or Ironman

Anybody ever done one? I'm going to be doing the 70.3 in Raleigh next June and was seeing if anybody has done one or has any tips.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
Get busy living, or get busy dying.
teamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really nice

Royal Canadian Air Force: Top Secret
teamfast's Tacoma Gallery
just got told at work its mandatory. been training two weeks. race is in sept.
32km run
4km portage
8km canoe
6km run
all with 40lb pack.
FML
Old 06-23-2013, 08:14 PM   #3
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamfast View Post
just got told at work its mandatory. been training two weeks. race is in sept.
32km run
4km portage
6km canoe
6km run
all with 40lb pack.
FML
Who do you work for? The military or UFC?
Old 06-24-2013, 06:40 AM   #5
Kick His A$$ Seabass

Navy:
That sounds intense, ever done a run, bike, swim race? Thats the aim I was going for
Old 06-24-2013, 06:57 AM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTaco View Post
Anybody ever done one? I'm going to be doing the 70.3 in Raleigh next June and was seeing if anybody has done one or has any tips.
Good luck! I think one of those would be the death of me I want to do a tri-athelon soon, but it won't be anywhere near as long as the one you're training for!
Old 06-24-2013, 04:22 PM   #7
teamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTaco View Post
That sounds intense, ever done a run, bike, swim race? Thats the aim I was going for
Kind of. I was the guy from the team that did the 10km mountain bike.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:21 PM   #8
Kick His A$$ Seabass

Navy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Good luck! I think one of those would be the death of me I want to do a tri-athelon soon, but it won't be anywhere near as long as the one you're training for!
It's a pain in the ass to train for, so it better be all worth it. Start with a sprint tri...500m swim, 12-13 mile bike, and a 5k run. Sprints are fun and pretty easy to train for. And a good bit of them you get free beer after
Old 06-25-2013, 07:02 PM   #9
boilermatt is on a distinguished road
boilermatt's Tacoma Gallery
New to TW but not to Ironman. Finished 70.3 Muncie and Ironman Louisville. Totally worth it, I recommend it to everyone. If you haven't yet, find a real Tri shop, it's the first step. They will have the right products and advice. Its a world onto itself. Go watch an Ironman (full or 70.3), it will take all day but you will learn how it all works. Then make sure your race hydration and nutrition is on point. Laying on the road with cramps isn't fun. The longer races are just different, you have to drink so much more, take salt tablets and eat along the way. You need to know what you body likes and what it doesn't. Good luck, if you are prepared its a lot of fun.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:43 PM   #10
Kick His A$$ Seabass

Navy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by boilermatt View Post
New to TW but not to Ironman. Finished 70.3 Muncie and Ironman Louisville. Totally worth it, I recommend it to everyone. If you haven't yet, find a real Tri shop, it's the first step. They will have the right products and advice. Its a world onto itself. Go watch an Ironman (full or 70.3), it will take all day but you will learn how it all works. Then make sure your race hydration and nutrition is on point. Laying on the road with cramps isn't fun. The longer races are just different, you have to drink so much more, take salt tablets and eat along the way. You need to know what you body likes and what it doesn't. Good luck, if you are prepared its a lot of fun.
Great first post I've been looking for a tri shop, plenty of bike shops around with tri bikes, but all of the guys are road guys that do road races and no triathlons. I was actually going to drive up to the 70.3 in Augusta because its the same weekend as my brothers birthday so it works out to watch that one.

Salt tablets? I've run halfs and full marathons and water and gels did the trick in those, but I know this definitely isn't the same. Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:49 PM   #11

Salt tabs (electrolyte tabs)?
Old 09-13-2013, 12:52 PM   #12

So completed the damn thing yesterday.
Glad to have crossed the finish line. I was my first (and last) Ironman.

At the last minute I decided to use vaseline on my heels which has been a sore spot during long rucks. Fail! Within 6km my feet were blistering. I loosened my boots as much as I could and gut checked it. By 12km my legs were cramping during running due to my new "stride".
I finished in 10h 1m and am at work today in flip flops and sore from my mid-back down.

In all I should have trained more. I only rucked 4 times covering 55km.
If I HAD to, and I mean "HAD" to do it again. I wouldnt train (I am physically active in other sports). Why? The amount of training required to come out of that race and not be broken ain't worth my time. Ill take 2 days up on the couch over 4 months of training anyday.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #13
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamfast View Post
So completed the damn thing yesterday.
Glad to have crossed the finish line. I was my first (and last) Ironman.

At the last minute I decided to use vaseline on my heels which has been a sore spot during long rucks. Fail! Within 6km my feet were blistering. I loosened my boots as much as I could and gut checked it. By 12km my legs were cramping during running due to my new "stride".
I finished in 10h 1m and am at work today in flip flops and sore from my mid-back down.

In all I should have trained more. I only rucked 4 times covering 55km.
If I HAD to, and I mean "HAD" to do it again. I wouldnt train (I am physically active in other sports). Why? The amount of training required to come out of that race and not be broken ain't worth my time. Ill take 2 days up on the couch over 4 months of training anyday.
So was it a ruck or a run? or were you running with your ruck on?

anyways, congrats on your finish.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:32 PM   #14

The entire thing (except canoe is done with your 40lb ruck on. You can walk it but my goal was to run all the downhill and portions of the flats. A few guys crushed the 32km and fell out at the portage.

Thanks.