Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Quadcopters anyone?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-23-2013, 06:49 AM   #261
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
yeah, there are some cool looking ones out there. the shop near me has a blue digi-camo hydrodipped body. unfortunbately its baby blue digi

you can actually see some stuff on that one too. looks like a GPS antenna hanging off the back......though i'm not sure, because why would you face GPS down. and then what appears to be an extended antenna for the Rx
Old 10-23-2013, 07:32 AM   #262
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
I'd have to woodgrain dip mine
Old 10-23-2013, 08:07 AM   #263
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
lol, that would be awesome.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #265
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb17 View Post
yeah, there are some cool looking ones out there. the shop near me has a blue digi-camo hydrodipped body. unfortunbately its baby blue digi

you can actually see some stuff on that one too. looks like a GPS antenna hanging off the back......though i'm not sure, because why would you face GPS down. and then what appears to be an extended antenna for the Rx
it's actually a video antenna It's the same style "cloverleaf" like you have but encased and probably a 5.8ghz (higher the freq, the smaller the antenna can be).
Old 10-24-2013, 12:22 PM   #266
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
Thanks for the insight, Mike. Maybe I should just buy a RTF for my first real one and then take it from there. I was liking the DJI phantoms but read somewhere that you cant really upgrade them. Does that statement hold true?
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb17 View Post
what kind of upgrades are you looking to do? better motors are redily available that bolt right up. you can get a different flight controller that should be pretty easy to fit in the factory location. aftermarket GPS would be pretty easy, especially with an external antenna. they make carbon fiber battery trays the hold two batteries and allow more space for mounting other equipment outside of the shell. there are also a couple of aftermarket prop options.

Lots up upgrades, just have to be more creative with the mounting, compared to an open style machine like what mike builds.
Just echoing Colin here... the Phantom is pretty upgradeable with lots of aftermarket parts available.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:25 PM   #267
Mayor of TW

lately...

Finally flew the hex today... it's so smooth even in acro mode... flight controller is a kk 2.0

Old 11-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #268
Benjamin Newman
Btnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Benjamin
Btnewman's Tacoma Gallery
Have you updated the firmware on your kk2 board?

And how bad was it to get it all dialed in?
Old 11-03-2013, 03:57 PM   #269
Mayor of TW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btnewman View Post
Have you updated the firmware on your kk2 board?

And how bad was it to get it all dialed in?
Yes, I'm running 1.6 for the fw. tuning was much easier than expected. I started at the recommended gainset and went from there... was tuned in about 20 minutes. It's pretty easy to tell what needs to be adjusted when you get it in the air.

I'm sure it's not perfect, but it's close enough for what I'm doing at this point... Next step is to pull the KK off the aircraft and throw on the full autopilot... should take me about a week

The KK is going on my steadidrone quad so I'll get some more time on it... so far I'm very impressed with it.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:07 PM   #270
Benjamin Newman
Btnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

That's awesome to hear. I have been looking at picking one up. Just either have to pay out the rear for it on ebay or just pick up the hk mini integrated copter deally that comes with the kk2.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:20 PM   #271
Mayor of TW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btnewman View Post
That's awesome to hear. I have been looking at picking one up. Just either have to pay out the rear for it on ebay or just pick up the hk mini integrated copter deally that comes with the kk2.
I think it's probably worth the extra $30 on ebay... you'll get flying pretty quickly after receiving it.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:32 PM   #272
Benjamin Newman

That's true, I am still debating on what quad I want to build up. I am definately looking at the cheaper budget kinda builds...

I have been flying the shit outta my micro, though.
Attached Thumbnails
Quadcopters anyone?-uploadfromtaptalk1383525114066.jpg  
Old 11-03-2013, 04:32 PM   #273
Mayor of TW

Micros are great for getting the hang of things..
Old 11-03-2013, 04:39 PM   #275
Benjamin Newman

Its good for rainy days when I can't be outside building, or stuck in a hotel with work. my favorite part has been learning the programming and tweaking on it. It has really been a challenge at times though.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:53 PM   #276
Benjamin Newman

I finally ordered a micro camera for it. Got this little guy. Once it gets here its getting stripped down and lightened up.
http://dx.com/p/5-8ghz-wireless-surv...era-kit-110955
Old 11-09-2013, 07:03 AM   #278
robu is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobu is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobu is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobu is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobu is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobu is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobu is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobu is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobu is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobu is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobu is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob1224
robu's Tacoma Gallery
so where do you get started again? very new to this stuff and looks interesting
Old 11-10-2013, 03:18 PM   #279
Mayor of TW

Quote:
Originally Posted by robu View Post
so where do you get started again? very new to this stuff and looks interesting
Regroups.com has a lot of good info in the multi rotor forum. Your best bet initially however is to buy a small cheap quad that's ready to fly like the 1sq or blade mqx
Old 11-10-2013, 03:18 PM   #280
Mayor of TW

Rebuilt my quad today and stripped the APM... Replaced it with the kk board. Now just needs a test flight

Products Discussed in this Thread