Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Quadcopters anyone?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-08-2013, 01:19 PM   #21
Coast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast2Coast's Tacoma Gallery
I too have been the victim of a drone. It was last christmas and I was in a toy store. Some kid flew one of those tiny helicopters into me. I've had nightmares ever since from this near death experience . The police also did nothing... Bastards...

Old 10-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #22
Benjamin Newman
Btnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Benjamin
Btnewman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coast2Coast View Post
I too have been the victim of a drone. It was last christmas and I was in a toy store. Some kid flew one of those tiny helicopters into me. I've had nightmares ever since from this near death experience . The police also did nothing... Bastards...

Did you die a little inside?
Old 10-08-2013, 01:26 PM   #23
Benjamin Newman
Btnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/gopro-3-2...antom-fpv.html

Something along these lines. Cheap. But mostly functional. I am most likely going to pile this thing up at least once. Just part of the learning curve. So inexpensive is the word of the hour
Old 10-08-2013, 01:31 PM   #24
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
I've got a Steadidrone QU4D with APM 2.5+. This quad is nice because the arms fold which is pretty essential for ease of transport IMHO. The APM is a giant piece of shit, so I recommend either the DJI (watch out for flyaways) or KK Board 2.0 for stabilization. The DJI will give you position hold and fancy things like return home in case you have an issue. The KK board is stabilization only but with little chance of a quad freak out.

TW'er Colin17b has a DJI Phantom that he plays with too.

My QU4D in a rifle case for transport.

How much did that bad boy cost??? (tried googling it, couldn't find it)
Old 10-08-2013, 01:34 PM   #25
Benjamin Newman

http://www.steadidrone.com/index.php...rone-qu4d.html
Old 10-08-2013, 01:36 PM   #26
Benjamin Newman

Also, x2468, have you ever messed with ardupilot or multiwii programs?
Old 10-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #27
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Btnewman View Post
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/gopro-3-2...antom-fpv.html

Something along these lines. Cheap. But mostly functional. I am most likely going to pile this thing up at least once. Just part of the learning curve. So inexpensive is the word of the hour
a lot of folks have had trouble balancing the gopro on the GLB cameras... The YUN-1 is pretty decent as well as the DJI version of their zenmuse for GoPro (H3-2D)... it is pricey however.

You can also build your own pretty easily since you like to tinker... RCGroups.com has a bunch of info on building one. I have a gimbal board and IMU with rewound motors that have been sitting and waiting for me to build.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:10 PM   #28
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2468 View Post
How much did that bad boy cost??? (tried googling it, couldn't find it)
Quote:
Ya not cheap, but it flies like a bat out of hell... very smooth and FAST! Plus in "Hero" mode you don't get any arms / props in the GP3 video shooting in wide.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:16 PM   #29
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery

listen to all mighty mike. he's helped me out a lot in my recent head first jump into the hobby. owned and built rc trucks for a while, but just got into flying a few weeks ago.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:17 PM   #30
When Hell Freezes Over I'll Ski There Too
Pchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Aviation Machinist Mate
Name: Rob I
Pchop's Tacoma Gallery
These things are great IMO. I recently bought one through my construction project. I was being held up in taking a stand of trees down here in SF because of "nesting crows" of all things (who knew a fucking crow would be a protected species), so I had a bird biologist on site for 6 weeks. I finally had it with the waiting because she kept saying not yet, not yet. So I bought one for about $600, uploaded the app on my phone, flew the thing up there about 80 ft up, with the built in camera, flew around the nest till I got the view I needed.
Low and behold, no fucking crows, not even egg shells, it was an unused nest that a pair of crows was sitting in.
I got one of my 360 excavators over there and knocked the entire stand of trees down that day.
I was pretty proud of myself for the ingenuity of it, and the bonus is I had the whole video on my phone in case someone wanted to call BS.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:34 PM   #31
Benjamin Newman

In the long run, I was wanting to adapt one into search and rescue, as well as really cool video of tw meetups!
Old 10-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #32
Mayor of TW

I wanted to make cool videos as well, but I don't have the eye for it so gave up... Now I just fly the shit out of it without worrying about what the video looks like... More fun for me lol
Old 10-08-2013, 04:55 PM   #33
Mayor of TW

Just remember, if you fly commercially (accept money / trades of any kind) these little RC quads, hexes, planes, helis, etc., you are in direct violation of the FAA. They just fined a guy 10k this week for violating the commercial use ban.

Just an FYI for all
Old 10-08-2013, 05:03 PM   #34
Benjamin Newman

Wow! That's a hefty chunk o change! Still want to have fun with it! And mainly, something to do while I am stuck sitting in hotels, in random places while I wait for a job to call in at any moment. So the bigger ones are bad ass! The smaller ones have a little more of an appeal to me right now
Old 10-08-2013, 05:45 PM   #35
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Wow! That's a hefty chunk o change! Still want to have fun with it! And mainly, something to do while I am stuck sitting in hotels, in random places while I wait for a job to call in at any moment. So the bigger ones are bad ass! The smaller ones have a little more of an appeal to me right now
i started out with a smaller one to learn on. much harder to fly, but great because it's hard to seriously damage them. The small ones are also great to fly indoors on windier days.

I got a big one a week or two later. i love both of them. i have 4 batteries for each, so if i take them both out, i have a good hour and a half of flight time without recharging.

small one is a 1SQ (v-cam version with a built in camera)

larger one is a DJI Phantom. i believe it falls into the 350 category.....

Old 10-08-2013, 07:20 PM   #36
Mayor of TW

Ya I've got a little blade mqx to mess around with when I'm bored... I fly it in hotel rooms all the time practicing precision.

For increased fun, turn the AC on high
Old 10-08-2013, 10:10 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
Ya I've got a little blade mqx to mess around with when I'm bored... I fly it in hotel rooms all the time practicing precision.

For increased fun, turn the AC on high
i'm gonna start wearing a helmet and goggles lol. almost took blades to the face when i first bought it and flew it right bast an air vent
Old 10-08-2013, 10:44 PM   #38
Benjamin Newman

So, will this be enough protection for flying a 7 cm quadcopter?
Attached Thumbnails
Quadcopters anyone?-uploadfromtaptalk1381293680060.jpg  
Old 10-09-2013, 05:41 AM   #39

Quote:
So, will this be enough protection for flying a 7 cm quadcopter?
Yeah, just close your mouth lol
Old 10-09-2013, 06:31 AM   #40
Mayor of TW

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb17 View Post
Yeah, just close your mouth lol

Products Discussed in this Thread