Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Quadcopters anyone?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-08-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
Benjamin Newman
Btnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Benjamin
Btnewman's Tacoma Gallery
Quadcopters anyone?

Does anyone on here fly quads? If so what setups and programs are you using? I am looking for something I can bring on the road with me for when my job sends me out of town for days on end with a silly amount of standby sitting on my kiester.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a Steadidrone QU4D with APM 2.5+. This quad is nice because the arms fold which is pretty essential for ease of transport IMHO. The APM is a giant piece of shit, so I recommend either the DJI (watch out for flyaways) or KK Board 2.0 for stabilization. The DJI will give you position hold and fancy things like return home in case you have an issue. The KK board is stabilization only but with little chance of a quad freak out.

TW'er Colin17b has a DJI Phantom that he plays with too.

My QU4D in a rifle case for transport.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:55 AM   #3
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I've also got a Tarot T810 heading my way for some integration work...

Old 10-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #4
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
How are these compared to a regular heli? I've got a T-Rex clone 450 I can hover and do simple flights with, I'm not a good pilot by any stretch. But I have been looking at quads.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #5
Mayor of TW

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4daddy View Post
How are these compared to a regular heli? I've got a T-Rex clone 450 I can hover and do simple flights with, I'm not a good pilot by any stretch. But I have been looking at quads.
quads are much easier to fly as they're much more stable than a traditional heli. Flying the quad / hex / octo is much like flying a traditional heli as well so it would be an easy transition for you.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:02 PM   #6
Benjamin Newman
Btnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Those are sweet! I ordered a little pocket quad off hk just to toy with multiwii a bit. And if I toast it the loss is minimal. Hopefully it is here soon. I am trying to decide on a 450 to 550 size bird to build up. They seem to have a decent capacity and not huge to try to transport. Kind of leaning towards a hex just for a little extra redundancy of lift.
If hk ever gets their kk2 board back in stock I think I am going to start with that until I get a better feel for flying and tweaking them
Old 10-08-2013, 12:04 PM   #7
Benjamin Newman

The phantom would be a killer start! And is tempting to get one just because it comes ready to go. I am a bit of a tinkerer and like to lean towards the diy side of things though.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:04 PM   #8
Mayor of TW

Not sure how much you want to spend, but check out the 3DR Iris that's going to be available soon... it's a Phantom competitor but it does run the Pixhawk autopilot instead of the APM so that's a plus (allegedly)...

https://store.3drobotics.com/products/iris
Old 10-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #9
Mayor of TW

If you get one, make sure you fly safely... don't be one of the thousands of morons flying these things and killing my industry...

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?se...ors&id=9270668
Old 10-08-2013, 12:07 PM   #10
Benjamin Newman

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/dji-f550-...propeller.html

This one is kind of somethung that has my interest. Although it doesn't fold. Which is a pretty big drawback
Old 10-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #11
Running For Mayor of TW
richardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
richardbui23's Tacoma Gallery
DRONES!
Old 10-08-2013, 12:09 PM   #12
Mayor of TW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btnewman View Post
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/dji-f550-...propeller.html

This one is kind of somethung that has my interest. Although it doesn't fold. Which is a pretty big drawback
very flexy arms which will lead to JELLO video from a gopro.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:10 PM   #13
Mayor of TW

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardbui23 View Post
DRONES!
douche! Don't derp this one up.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:11 PM   #14
Running For Mayor of TW
richardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
douche! Don't derp this one up.
im kiddding i meant perv-copters
Old 10-08-2013, 12:11 PM   #15
Running For Mayor of TW

in all seriousness i think these things are cool and if i could afford one i would probably have one. looks like another expensive hobby like RC cars
Old 10-08-2013, 12:13 PM   #16
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting stuff ...
Old 10-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #17
Benjamin Newman

Yeah. This hobby is getting way too much negative attention. Which is a shame. The positive uses for these are countless! But the negatives get all the focus.

And nope. Not going to be flying over downdown Manhattan. I grew up flying planes and got a little into helicopters. I worked at a hobby shob for a few years a while ago and from there, I have a great respect for the damage rotorcraft can do.
If I remember right, we figured that the tip speed of a heli blade is easily turning at over 200 mph! They can tear stuff up in a heartbeat!
Old 10-08-2013, 12:17 PM   #18
Benjamin Newman

Have you messed with any of the gimbal camera mounts for these?
Old 10-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #19
Mayor of TW

Quote:
Yeah. This hobby is getting way too much negative attention. Which is a shame. The positive uses for these are countless! But the negatives get all the focus.

And nope. Not going to be flying over downdown Manhattan. I grew up flying planes and got a little into helicopters. I worked at a hobby shob for a few years a while ago and from there, I have a great respect for the damage rotorcraft can do.
If I remember right, we figured that the tip speed of a heli blade is easily turning at over 200 mph! They can tear stuff up in a heartbeat!
Ya, one of my 70lb helicopters tip speed was ridiculous.... easily take a head off
Old 10-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #20
Mayor of TW

Quote:
Have you messed with any of the gimbal camera mounts for these?
I've played with a few brushless gimbals as well as servo gimbals... which ones are you looking at?

Products Discussed in this Thread