1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Which is the better deal for my first snowmobile?

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by VTacoma2013, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Oct 29, 2013 at 4:11 PM
    VTacoma2013

VTacoma2013 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Rutland, Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2013 Silver Streak Mica TRD Off-Road
    Weathertech Floor Liners
    I'm looking at a 1998 Ski-Doo Formula Z 600 with reverse, electric start and 2,000 miles for $1200. My second option is a 2003 Yamaha Viper 700 triple with no reverse or electric start and 1300 miles for $2000. My interest is for an inexpensive sled that will be reliable and fun on the Vermont trails. Anyone who has experience with these two sleds I'd love to hear your opinions and knowledge. Thank you.

2. Oct 29, 2013 at 4:15 PM
    Ktaco

Ktaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    03 Black 4x4 TRD SR5 Xtra cab.
    Grey wire mod, Deck plate mod, diff breather mod. K&N air filter. Toytec coilovers. AAL. Custom rear lift shackles. diff drop. Centerforce clutch. Superwinch LP8500 with custom "behind bumper" mount. Winch solenoid relocation with in cab winch control. 33x12x15 Duratracs. Aisin manual hub swap.
    I'm sorry to say but as fun as snowmobiles are, I would never call them "reliable".

3. Oct 29, 2013 at 4:19 PM
    Oowen

Oowen Goes through trucks faster then underwear

Member:
    First Name:
    Owen
    Elko, NV
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB
    Garage Queen
    This. And inexpensive and reliable don't go together either.:eek:

4. Nov 9, 2013 at 7:22 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Hey Kevin, not sure if you bought either of those sleds.
    Honestly, if you want something that is pretty much bullet proof in the 2k range, I would buy an 01-03 Polaris XC SP 600. The liberty 600 engines pretty much are solid.
    There are usually easy to find. The 2003's had the rear tunnel cooler which helps in low snow conditions. I know a couple of guys who have over 10k on the odometers & have done nothing except kept the exhaust valves cleaned and changed the chaincase oil.
    I have never ridden a Yamaha but personally have owned a 2002 Polaris 600 XC SP X pkg and currently ride a newer XS chassis Ski Doo. We do a lot of high miles in Vermont and Canada. Good luck and happy trails. The season starts soon & I can't wait.

This is a pic of me & my old 2002 600 XC SP fwiw I sold it for $2k
    wish I never got rid of it :(

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  5. Nov 14, 2013 at 4:13 PM
    VTacoma2013

VTacoma2013 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Rutland, Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2013 Silver Streak Mica TRD Off-Road
    Weathertech Floor Liners
    Thank you for the response Judy. I haven't purchased a sled yet but I see the local Heritage Family Credit Union board filling with possibilities. I'm new to the sport and can't wait to get started. I guess I should start looking for a group to join but I'm unsure of the process.

6. Nov 14, 2013 at 4:17 PM
    kbauman92

kbauman92 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    North Bend
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma ext cab
    King 2.5x6 RR coilovers eibach coils Light Racing UCA Spidertrax spacers Fiberwerx fenders
    from those 2 choices id go with the ski-doo, always been "reliable" as far as sleds go

7. Dec 3, 2013 at 9:50 PM
    CBiscuit14

CBiscuit14 Professional Lurker

Member:
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    08 DC TRD Sport 4X4
    I would go with the Yamaha in a heartbeat! I ride Yamaha and only Yamaha because of their reliability.
    If you are looking for a sled to just putz around the ski-dattle might be more for you since it is only a 600 with some luxuries. On the other hand, if you want to let 'er rip once in awhile ... the 700 triple is by far the way to go. BAD fast! Bonus.... the Yamaha triples have a unique and oh so beautiful sound (music to my ears).
    I am a little bias because I am a Yamaha die-hard, but so far they haven't let me (or my family) down. Good luck in your decision!!!

Products Discussed in

To Top