Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Mountain Bikes....

Old 06-21-2010, 03:55 PM   #381
sockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
sockmonkey's Tacoma Gallery
the less you spend, the sooner it will be before you have to buy another one.

but, it all depends on the trail you will ride. (rougher the trail the quicker to beat it up)

the first one i bought was twice that price 15yrs ago and it was about a year after that i bought one to replace it.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:58 PM   #382
Cuz Stock Sucks
amaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
amaes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sockmonkey View Post
the less you spend, the sooner it will be before you have to buy another one.

but, it all depends on the trail you will ride. (rougher the trail the quicker to beat it up)

the first one i bought was twice that price 15yrs ago and it was about a year after that i bought one to replace it.
So you have any recommendations on ones to look for?
I'm not sure what type of trails since I haven't been out.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:00 PM   #383
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaes View Post
So I am thinking about getting into Mountain biking it looks like fun. Any suggestions on some entry level bikes? I don't want to spend a grand on a bike just in case its not for me. Right now at Sports chalet by my house they have an 09 diamondback Response on clearance for $240. is this a good starter bike?
Look into a specialized fsr they have great componets and for around $1200 you can ride it for a few years. I switched from down hill to cross country riding but the FSR has a good amount of front travel to give you enough for a good hit.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:12 PM   #384
sockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
sockmonkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaes View Post
So you have any recommendations on ones to look for?
I'm not sure what type of trails since I haven't been out.
looking at the one you mentioned, that looks like a good starter.
def something to try out and not too much if you don't like the sport.

just make sure you have, at minimum, water and a helmet...esp in AZ
Old 06-21-2010, 08:22 PM   #385
Cuz Stock Sucks
amaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
amaes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sockmonkey View Post
looking at the one you mentioned, that looks like a good starter.
def something to try out and not too much if you don't like the sport.

just make sure you have, at minimum, water and a helmet...esp in AZ
Awesome!
Old 06-23-2010, 10:56 AM   #386
ProtoJ is a jewel in the roughProtoJ is a jewel in the roughProtoJ is a jewel in the roughProtoJ is a jewel in the rough
ProtoJ's Tacoma Gallery
Here are mine. A Jabberwocky SS from Vassago and my Surly Pugsley.
Attached Thumbnails
Mountain Bikes....-001.jpg   Mountain Bikes....-jabber.jpg  
Old 06-24-2010, 10:23 PM   #387
Dont be stupid, its not smart.
SurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dylan
SurfInferno's Tacoma Gallery
biking up at mammoth mountain tomorrow for the opening day!
Old 06-24-2010, 10:39 PM   #388
socal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Diego
socal16's Tacoma Gallery
Any of you guys ever been to bootleg canyo to so some mountain biking it's right out side of Vegas here's a map of the trails http://www.bootlegcanyon.org/map.html
Old 06-25-2010, 07:24 PM   #389
Dont be stupid, its not smart.
SurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dylan
SurfInferno's Tacoma Gallery
went to mammoth opening day today!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3PUENaS_aY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvjfeP0acF8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Uyev1mjh8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53AdpNdDTYw
Old 06-26-2010, 11:15 AM   #390
BajaTaco96 is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
BajaTaco96's Tacoma Gallery
Picked up my new mountain bike today. 2007 Raleigh Mojave 8.0, been way, way too long since I've ridden. Can't wait to start back.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:10 AM   #391
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
I bought an FSR to get into XC racing which will be next year. Coming from down hill it is a huge difference but it makes you really respect the uphill.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:25 AM   #392
indycross has much to be proud ofindycross has much to be proud ofindycross has much to be proud ofindycross has much to be proud ofindycross has much to be proud ofindycross has much to be proud ofindycross has much to be proud ofindycross has much to be proud ofindycross has much to be proud ofindycross has much to be proud of

Name: Ross
indycross's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Cannondale F4 and have been averaging 12 miles a day on it recently. Planning on heading to Austin to explore some Texas trails soon! Ill post pics shortly.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:07 AM   #393
tussery has a spectacular aura abouttussery has a spectacular aura about
tussery's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tussery
Quote:
Originally Posted by indycross View Post
I have a Cannondale F4 and have been averaging 12 miles a day on it recently. Planning on heading to Austin to explore some Texas trails soon! Ill post pics shortly.

You ever been to Government Canyon outside of San Antonio. I'll be headed there Saturday.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:47 PM   #394
kram is a jewel in the roughkram is a jewel in the roughkram is a jewel in the rough
kram's Tacoma Gallery
Just got back from a road trip that included Mt7 in Golden, British Columbia. Here's a link to a chest cam of the Psychosis track that is my favourite track anywhere. I crashed hard at the top and it rattled me pretty good so there's a bit of foot out tripodding to get down the rest of the steep section at the top, and I knocked the chest cam to a bit of a bad angle, but the rest of the vid will give you a bit of an idea of the speed and roughness of the track. http://vimeo.com/13384349

There's good heli shot of the very top section where I crashed http://www.psychosis.ca/index_flash.php. You can see it gets a bit steeper once you get to the tree line, where I was still shaking from my near death experience and dragged a foot most of the way coz I was feeling inadequate.

The track is seriously long. Took me 15 1/2 minutes in 2006 when I raced it last. Easily the steepest and fastest track I've ever ridden. Feels like you are tearing the ass end off even a 10 inch travel DH bike. Good times.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:10 PM   #395
FJ FTW!
southern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shed

southern_x's Tacoma Gallery
hey lents check out evil bikes, orange, commencal, and mavrick! im also in the market for a new bike myself to many damn choices!
Old 08-13-2011, 01:03 AM   #397
Senior
Chillin is one of the sharper tools in the shedChillin is one of the sharper tools in the shedChillin is one of the sharper tools in the shedChillin is one of the sharper tools in the shedChillin is one of the sharper tools in the shedChillin is one of the sharper tools in the shedChillin is one of the sharper tools in the shedChillin is one of the sharper tools in the shedChillin is one of the sharper tools in the shedChillin is one of the sharper tools in the shedChillin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Yeah, like I'm gonna tell you.
Name: daniel
Chillin's Tacoma Gallery
Damn, some of you guys have some cool shi*. I only have a schwinn hard tail and my wife has a mongoose xr75 and my daughter has an instep double trailer.... yeah we take it slow... lol..... maybe after my deployment ill get some cool toys like some of u guys.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:08 AM   #398
Senior
Chillin is one of the sharper tools in the shedChillin is one of the sharper tools in the shedChillin is one of the sharper tools in the shedChillin is one of the sharper tools in the shedChillin is one of the sharper tools in the shedChillin is one of the sharper tools in the shedChillin is one of the sharper tools in the shedChillin is one of the sharper tools in the shedChillin is one of the sharper tools in the shedChillin is one of the sharper tools in the shedChillin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Yeah, like I'm gonna tell you.
Name: daniel
Chillin's Tacoma Gallery

Yup, like I said, nothing expensie but then again we only ride around the neighborhood.(my fiance is 8 months so...yeah)... however I am not new to the sport, I have been riding since I was old enough to pedal, i used to live out in a ranch so the nearby hills we would build ramps and jump off em with our kmart and walmart bikes. boy i miss being young. well soon ill ride hardcore again.. he he