Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Mountain Bikes....

Old 03-18-2009, 10:02 PM   #41
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
That pic was just off the Specialized site. As for the full suss'er vs Hardtail, I see it like this: To get a decent full suspension bike you have to fork out a fair amount of money, more than you want to spend. Cheap full sussers are heavy and the added weight and low level components makes them more of a burden than a help. That leaves HT bikes. Hardtails are good all around, just are a bit tougher to get around on real rough, rocky trails. Since you said you wanted a bike that you could also jump, this P1 All mountain seems like a good fit. Specialized says "the P. All Mountain is just as much fun on the trails as it is at the park" so that sounds like what you'd like from what i've read. I havent actually ridden one of these as they're a new bike, but a friend here at college got that exact bike from his parents for his birthday last week and he'll be bringing it down in a week when he comes back to college after spring break. I'll get a chance to ride it then, I can let you know what I think of it then if you'd like. Have you talked to a sales person at a bike shop and told them what/how you ride for them to get an idea and reccommend bikes?
Yeah Eric that would be get. I would like to hear your take on that bike. I actually went today and talked with a guy from a shop I know well. All they carried was Trek and a little bit of Schwinn. I like Trek but I have the feeling that you arent getting the bang for your buck as with some of these others.

Is the P1 in my price range? I mean its going to be a birthday present (my parents budget) but I will help out a bit to get the right one i need.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:22 PM   #42
09 but I drive a 012 Expedition...
tacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff...I'm pretty sure
tacoholic's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacoholic
Raleigh makes some damn good bikes! I've got a Ram 4.0 that I upgraded with a FOX TALAS RLC fork and FOX Float R rear shock. Now it's amazing to ride but the bike was $900 and the shocks were $900 sooooo....yea. But that was also 2 or 3 years ago now.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:29 PM   #43
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoholic View Post
Raleigh makes some damn good bikes! I've got a Ram 4.0 that I upgraded with a FOX TALAS RLC fork and FOX Float R rear shock. Now it's amazing to ride but the bike was $900 and the shocks were $900 sooooo....yea. But that was also 2 or 3 years ago now.
PM the pic to me.... was the suspension aftermarket
Old 03-18-2009, 10:48 PM   #44
tacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentsnh View Post
PM the pic to me.... was the suspension aftermarket
Sure was! I gotta take pics of it first though...so I'll send you some or post them here tomorrow after....sometime. Not sure when but it will be tomorrow!
Old 03-18-2009, 10:50 PM   #45
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sure was! I gotta take pics of it first though...so I'll send you some or post them here tomorrow after....sometime. Not sure when but it will be tomorrow!
Thats fine..... Take your time. Its not that important. Just curious
Old 03-18-2009, 10:55 PM   #46

Quote:
Thats fine..... Take your time. Its not that important. Just curious
It's beast! Got discs on there and everything. I really want higher end derailleurs though...mine are kinda eh.
But I got nothing better to do so it should be sometime tomorrow afternoon.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:56 PM   #47
jwscoot has a spectacular aura aboutjwscoot has a spectacular aura about

jwscoot's Tacoma Gallery
Don't even think of getting a full suspension bike at that price range, it will be a heavy piece-o.

Specialized Hardrocks are good in that range, Its shitty they've been downgraded and come with alivio 8 spd instead of the Deore 9spd they did in the previous years.

FSR XC's are decent entry level f/s bike.

heres some of our bikes on my truck: from outside-in
Specialized Stumpjumper Expert
Gary Fisher Ziggurat runnning XTR (my ride)
Specialized Hardrock Comp
Old 03-18-2009, 11:02 PM   #48
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It's beast! Got discs on there and everything. I really want higher end derailleurs though...mine are kinda eh.
But I got nothing better to do so it should be sometime tomorrow afternoon.
I am looking for discs too. I with get some better derailleurs no matter what ,when I get one
Old 03-18-2009, 11:03 PM   #49
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwscoot View Post
Don't even think of getting a full suspension bike at that price range, it will be a heavy piece-o.

Specialized Hardrocks are good in that range, Its shitty they've been downgraded and come with alivio 8 spd instead of the Deore 9spd they did in the previous years.

FSR XC's are decent entry level f/s bike.

heres some of our bikes on my truck: from outside-in
Specialized Stumpjumper Expert
Gary Fisher Ziggurat runnning XTR (my ride)
Specialized Hardrock Comp
I like the stumpjumper now. that looks really good. 2000 dollar bike though
Old 03-18-2009, 11:04 PM   #50

Quote:
I am looking for discs too. I with get some better derailleurs no matter what ,when I get one
lol
I got some pretty good discs. Replaced the pads twice but nobody informed me the pads were like brand new.
The derailleurs are good they're just like the low end of the high end Shimanos.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:10 PM   #51
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
lol
I got some pretty good discs. Replaced the pads twice but nobody informed me the pads were like brand new.
The derailleurs are good they're just like the low end of the high end Shimanos.
haha that sucks. Yeah I get what your saying. Just the normal production model derailleurs
Old 03-18-2009, 11:17 PM   #52

Quote:
haha that sucks. Yeah I get what your saying. Just the normal production model derailleurs
Yep, pretty much...here's a picture of it but I'll take better ones tomorrow. I could go look to see what model my derailleurs are but it's in the garage downstairs and I'm a lazy lil shit.
(that suspension is not stock nor what I run)
Old 03-18-2009, 11:17 PM   #53
jwscoot has a spectacular aura aboutjwscoot has a spectacular aura about

jwscoot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
lol
Disk brakes are great, Avid juicy 3's are a great starter hydraulic brake.

a good derailer is a good upgrade, but you can tune even low end stuff to shift sweet. tuning is everything

for a true overall good shift feel you need to upgrade the shifters.

deore-bushings
deore LX-2 bearings
deore xt- 3 bearings

I got got the 08 deore LX shifters (2 way release, so you can push the downshift lever like the SRAM trigger shifts or pull back like a traditional shimano pod) with XTR rear derailer... fucking thing shifts like butter.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:19 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwscoot View Post
Disk brakes are great, Avid juicy 3's are a great starter hydraulic brake.

a good derailer is a good upgrade, but you can tune even low end stuff to shift sweet. tuning is everything

for a true overall good shift feel you need to upgrade the shifters.

deore-bushings
deore LX-2 bearings
deore xt- 3 bearings

I got got the 08 deore LX shifters (2 way release, so you can push the downshift lever like the SRAM trigger shifts or pull back like a traditional shimano pod) with XTR rear derailer... fucking thing shifts like butter.
That's what it came with! Shimano Deore LX shifters on the front and back. A while ago I was looking to upgrade the rear to a Shimano Deore XTR for like $100 but decided against it. Can't remember why. Should've done it then. Once I get the truck I may because I'll be hitting trails more often.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:20 PM   #55
robo-ninja
edwinalink is a name known to alledwinalink is a name known to alledwinalink is a name known to alledwinalink is a name known to alledwinalink is a name known to alledwinalink is a name known to all

edwinalink's Tacoma Gallery
MY dirt jump bike was 900ish to start. and i learned a few things from it.

DJ bikes HATE going up hills. they will buck like a skiddish horse the whole way up.(the weight is biased over the rear tire for manuevering)

you WILL feel every pound of its strength. my scott YZ-1 weighs 44 pounds.

for in town bikes they're actually quite nice, if inefficient... and as bar bike they are EXCELLENT conversation starters! to quote "omigawd! your brakes are like little motorcycle brakes!!!" and "why's it so big!?"

"cuz dat's how i roll bay-bee"

and for great mechanical discs.its a toss up for me. avids seem to have more power. but shimano's just feel better at the lever for me.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:21 PM   #56
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yep, pretty much...here's a picture of it but I'll take better ones tomorrow. I could go look to see what model my derailleurs are but it's in the garage downstairs and I'm a lazy lil shit.
(that suspension is not stock nor what I run)
Thats sick looking!!! Gosh the bikes I want are all too expensive..... Thats with anything though.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:23 PM   #57

My friend has a Giant something something with Avid mechanical discs. It was like some special model for that year. Cost him almost $2K with no upgrades! But I like my Shimano hydraulics better than his Avid mechanical. Even though I broke my front axle once already (into 3 pieces) it still had less rolling resistance than his when it was busted into 3 pieces.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:24 PM   #58

Quote:
Thats sick looking!!! Gosh the bikes I want are all too expensive..... Thats with anything though.
Hahaha! Thanks! Totally know what you mean.
Mine looks better than that one though, the FOX shocks add to the appeal.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:29 PM   #59
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hahaha! Thanks! Totally know what you mean.
Mine looks better than that one though, the FOX shocks add to the appeal.
That it does bro...... that it does.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:30 PM   #60
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for your suggestions fellas