Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Mountain Bikes....

Old 03-18-2009, 06:36 PM   #1
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Mountain Bikes....

What are some good quality Mountain bikes for around $300-$500
Old 03-18-2009, 06:50 PM   #2
Bolo is on a distinguished road
Bolo's Tacoma Gallery
you looking for used or new?

giant and trek are good brands.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:00 PM   #5
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolo View Post
you looking for used or new?

giant and trek are good brands.
New. I was looking at Iron Horse, Jamis, JB, etc.

Full suspension Mountain Bike.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:10 PM   #6
Not all who wander are lost
01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

01GREENTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Gary Fisher Wahoo Disc. Best bike I have ever owned and I have had it now for 3 years. I have also owned an Iron Horse, Trek, and Specialized and none of those lasted me longer than 6 months. Given I run bikes really hard I accept that and my Gary Fisher is the best bike I have ever owned. Only $597 out the door and they are easily maintainable at home by yourself.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:12 PM   #7
JustSomeGuy is on a distinguished road
JustSomeGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Mountain bikes have become very high tech and the prices have become just as high in the last decade. $300 to $500 will get you the most entry level mountain bike. At that price I would recomend a hardtail bike(just front suspension) or a complete rigid bike(no suspesion). Although I've never owned one, I know Giant usually offers well speced bikes for the price. A better option for you may be to check ebay for a used bike. that way you can get a higher end bike with better components at a price closer to what your wanting to spend. I recently sold a $5000 bike on there for $1500. Try to find a bike that has a good quality frame and then you can alway upgrade the parts on it later. At $500, stay away from full suspension bikes. The quality of the suspension wont be worth the extra weight it adds and it will be more of a chore to ride than it is fun. Even a hardtail at that price will have a lower end fork. Check your local bike shops and see what works for you, test ride lots of different brands/styles and then look at used ones. It's important to get a properly fitting bike or it will become uncomfortable to ride and figure out the style/type of riding you will be doing and get a bike according to that. dont be tempted to get what looks cool. The most important factor is that you enjoy riding it. All the big brands put out decent bikes, Specialized, Trek, Giant, GT, etc... the list goes on. Good luck
Old 03-18-2009, 07:12 PM   #8
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
^^^^ Thanks man I look into those bikes. Its not one of those bikes that all you ay for is the name. right?
Old 03-18-2009, 07:13 PM   #9
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback07 View Post
You might want to check Craigslist as well.
I always forget about Craigslist
Old 03-18-2009, 07:16 PM   #11
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy View Post
Mountain bikes have become very high tech and the prices have become just as high in the last decade. $300 to $500 will get you the most entry level mountain bike. At that price I would recomend a hardtail bike(just front suspension) or a complete rigid bike(no suspesion). Although I've never owned one, I know Giant usually offers well speced bikes for the price. A better option for you may be to check ebay for a used bike. that way you can get a higher end bike with better components at a price closer to what your wanting to spend. I recently sold a $5000 bike on there for $1500. Try to find a bike that has a good quality frame and then you can alway upgrade the parts on it later. At $500, stay away from full suspension bikes. The quality of the suspension wont be worth the extra weight it adds and it will be more of a chore to ride than it is fun. Even a hardtail at that price will have a lower end fork. Check your local bike shops and see what works for you, test ride lots of different brands/styles and then look at used ones. It's important to get a properly fitting bike or it will become uncomfortable to ride and figure out the style/type of riding you will be doing and get a bike according to that. dont be tempted to get what looks cool. The most important factor is that you enjoy riding it. All the big brands put out decent bikes, Specialized, Trek, Giant, GT, etc... the list goes on. Good luck
So should I not even look at Dirt Jumping Trek bike?

Oh and I want the bike to last me through college..... Im a Sophomore in High School
Old 03-18-2009, 07:20 PM   #12
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffymonkey View Post
a new good full suspension bike is going to run you quite a bit more than 3-500 dollars. You could probably find a like-new one on craigslist though.

This is what I was looking at my local bike shop...... it was for $700 I believe
Old 03-18-2009, 07:20 PM   #13
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Whoops that was bigger than I wanted it to be
Old 03-18-2009, 07:30 PM   #17
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
I think I will.... I will look in the used area. I will be using it for trails, road, and anything else I decide to do
Old 03-18-2009, 07:31 PM   #18
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thats not $700.. maybe on sale for $2700. But that new is over 3 g's. But Trek makes nice bikes. Thing I found out was that I rode a nice bike a lot more than a crappy bike. And its cheaper to buy good components when you buy the bike vs. trying to upgrade them later.
Yeah it was on sale. So are you saying I should create my own bike instead of buy a complete?
Old 03-18-2009, 07:32 PM   #19
Token
Fluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Fluffymonkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thats not $700.. maybe on sale for $2700. But that new is over 3 g's. But Trek makes nice bikes. Thing I found out was that I rode a nice bike a lot more than a crappy bike. And its cheaper to buy good components when you buy the bike vs. trying to upgrade them later.

I knew that sounded too good to be true. I was just about to sprint down to my local bike shop, cash in hand.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:37 PM   #20
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
haha yeah I wish its a spectacular bike