LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Birding and Bird Photography

Old 02-11-2014, 04:06 PM   #341
Cold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MMC(SW) USN Ret.
Name: Mike
Cold Iron's Tacoma Gallery
Great pictures Kevin! I also really like the hawk on the log. Finally figured out my unknown raptor is a sharp shinned hawk And thanks for the video of 007 Ben. Crows are a real problem downtown here and they are really struggling to find a way to keep them out. They are too smart for most methods and learn quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockeman22 View Post
http://www.texastraveltrade.ca/newsf...years-in-a-row

For all of you thinking of taking a trip............just throwing it out there lol !!!!!!
Hmmm.... I'm leaving at 3 AM to go 6 hours straight North for the rest of the week. It was -30 F this morning in Ely what was I thinking, I should have planned to get on I-35 and go straight South! Everyone around me is headed to Mexico and other warm spots and I usually do too but each year it is harder to come back to the cold after I do. But maybe next year....
Old 02-11-2014, 05:40 PM   #342
LensCap
92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92shawman's Tacoma Gallery
That's crazy, Ben! Crows are so freakin' smart, it's too bad they're also super annoying...
I saw a segment of "The Life of Birds" featuring New Caledonian Crows foraging. They eat grubs out of dead fallen trees, but the grubs are too far down in holes so they stick sticks into the holes to get the grubs. Instead of impaling them, though, the crows poke at the grub until the grub bites the stick and then the crow can pull the grub out. Crazy!!

And nice ID, Cold Iron. I couldn't tell what it was from that photo.
I think I may have seen a sharpie on Sunday out at the refuge, but I'm not 100% sure...coulda been a cooper's.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:10 PM   #343
Magpie is on a distinguished road

Name: Anita
Magpie's Tacoma Gallery
So many incredible photos posted while I've been writing reports ad nauseum. This coming week is Preserve Survey Week! I'm going to try using the Nikon D5000 (husband's). That was the camera with the focus problem from the painted redstart photos. I've reset all of the settings to factory (husband was playing with it a bit) and now I'm testing on the backyard - looks better now. Sounds like shutter priority is the way to go and use as fast as you can but still keep a good F stop. I want to look for a 400 mm lens. Have any of you tried the Sigma, vivitar etc lenses? The Nikkor 400 is so $$$. I need handheld option b/c I'm going for little birds (gnatcatcher and warblers) and am hiking a lot so I dont want to go with tripod mount.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:12 PM   #344
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Anybody else participating in the Great Backyard Bird Count this weekend ?
Old 02-16-2014, 02:21 PM   #345

Magpie's Tacoma Gallery
YES!!
I'm also recording everything in the yard for the year. This drought is a bugger for the birds as well. Definitely missing some species already.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:25 PM   #346
Pirate
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Captain Jack Sparrow
m3bassman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
So many incredible photos posted while I've been writing reports ad nauseum. This coming week is Preserve Survey Week! I'm going to try using the Nikon D5000 (husband's). That was the camera with the focus problem from the painted redstart photos. I've reset all of the settings to factory (husband was playing with it a bit) and now I'm testing on the backyard - looks better now. Sounds like shutter priority is the way to go and use as fast as you can but still keep a good F stop. I want to look for a 400 mm lens. Have any of you tried the Sigma, vivitar etc lenses? The Nikkor 400 is so $$$. I need handheld option b/c I'm going for little birds (gnatcatcher and warblers) and am hiking a lot so I dont want to go with tripod mount.
Have you considered a monopod? i personally prefer to carry my camera with the monopod on when i have the 70-300 on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Anybody else participating in the Great Backyard Bird Count this weekend ?
I am unfamiliar with what this is.

Nothing but high winds here. saw a couple great blue herons while shooting trap this morning but besides that, all the birds are laying low.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:27 PM   #347
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
Have you considered a monopod? i personally prefer to carry my camera with the monopod on when i have the 70-300 on it.

Nothing but high winds here. saw a couple great blue herons while shooting trap this morning but besides that, all the birds are laying low.

http://gbbc.birdcount.org/get-started/
Old 02-16-2014, 02:47 PM   #348
Pirate
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post

http://gbbc.birdcount.org/get-started/
cool thanks.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:03 PM   #349

Magpie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I have a monopod - maybe I'll trying renting a 400mm lens first and see if I can handle that plus carry my maps and stuff. There is a 28-300 Nikkor out there that isn't hideously expensive (but expensive enough) but I was hoping for the 400, having seen what you're able to do with it.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:11 PM   #350
Pirate

Quote:
I have a monopod - maybe I'll trying renting a 400mm lens first and see if I can handle that plus carry my maps and stuff. There is a 28-300 Nikkor out there that isn't hideously expensive (but expensive enough) but I was hoping for the 400, having seen what you're able to do with it.
I am very jealous of Kevin's 400. I have had many opportunities thwarted by not having enough reach in the lens.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:15 PM   #351
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
Grab one of the Nikon 400mm manual focus lenses from the 80's.

http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Manu...018888750?r=FE

Old 02-17-2014, 01:25 PM   #352
Cold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I had asked a similar question back in the beginning of the thread and MTgirl replied with:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTgirl View Post
FWIW.... I tried out a Sigma 150-500 lens on my Canon 7D and hated it. Couldn't hold it still to safe my life (not a big fan of tripods, I use them only when I absolutely have to), very slow response with auto focus and heavy as hell. I decided after 1 day with the sigma that I'd hold out and save up for a Canon 100-400 lens. It was more expensive but so worth it - its fast, super sharp, I can get great shots hand held and while its still heavy its not a terrible burden to lug around. Not sure how the Pentax version stacks up to the Canon version but that's my $0.02
However... After doing a lot more research the Sigma lenses can perform differently on different brands of cameras. So it would be worth checking into a Nikon forum and also reviews for the lens that your looking at IMO. Turns out the Sigma bigma is popular with many Pentax users and works well. But there are other factors involved, in the North in the winter the 150-500 at F6.3 makes it pretty much useless as they require a fair amount of light. And have no Weather Resistance so that rules them out for half the year for me. Given your location neither one may be an issue for you. Older manual lenses as mentioned isn't a bad idea although many argue that the optics have gotten so much better over the last 10-15 years that it isn't worth it. Not sure I buy that one though. Manual focus will make BIF a challenge... Then again I find even AF can be tricky with birds and other wildlife in heavy vegetation. Took 29 pictures a couple of days ago of a snowshoe hare in deep cover and only had 4 keepers. I'm learning in tight spots to get as close as I can with AF and then slightly tweak the final focus, a couple of inches of focus either way makes a big difference in the final shot. When it is -28 F like it was yesterday morning when I took this shot just breathing on the back of the camera covers it in ice so I do a lot of shooting "blind" but sometimes it pays off

Not sure how well the Nikon lenses work with a teleconventer but that may be another option. The Pentax 1.4X TC was on the roadmap when I purchased mine and will be released next month. It is Weather Resistant which is important for the environments I live in and expose it to so looking forward to adding it to my 300mm F4 which will make it 420mm F5.6. In a couple of years if this is something I am still into, and willing to bet that I am, will pick up a Canon and L series lenses. Although the lower priced L lenses are not all WR, and once they are the price brings new meaning to the phrase sticker shock.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:52 PM   #353
LensCap
92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Got three new species for this year today! Canvasback, Ruddy duck, and Lesser scaup. I was just out searching for Eurasian Collared-Doves for a project and came across a pond with a surprisingly diverse amount of waterfowl given its size and isolation. It was the wrong time of day for the doves, so I never really saw any, but I saw a Lesser Scaup, Ruddy Ducks, Canvasbacks, lots of Canada Geese, Coots, Buffleheads, a few Mallards, a Cinnamon Teal, and about 100 gulls. Lots of sparrows in the bull rush and trees in the tributaries, too. The Canada geese were doing some serious courtship, lots of inciting and there was a big fight between two pairs. I wish my shutter speed was higher for that, but we'll see what I got. Going through pictures now!
Edit: just spotted a green-winged teal in one of my photos. He was sleepin' over at the far end of the pond, which is probably why I didn't see him with the binos.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:32 PM   #354
LensCap

Pics from today:

Mourning Dove by 92shawman, on Flickr

American Coot by 92shawman, on Flickr

Canada Geese by 92shawman, on Flickr

Fight Fight Fight!

Canada Geese by 92shawman, on Flickr

Canada Goose by 92shawman, on Flickr

I'm bummed the guy being chased was out of the frame for this photo

First time seeing these guys!

Canvasbacks by 92shawman, on Flickr

Ruddy Duck by 92shawman, on Flickr

Black Phoebe by 92shawman, on Flickr

I seem to have really good luck with these sparrows:

Lincoln's Sparrow by 92shawman, on Flickr

Bufflehead by 92shawman, on Flickr

Cool find for the day:

Lesser Scaup by 92shawman, on Flickr
Old 02-17-2014, 07:40 PM   #355
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed
worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Not a birdwatcher but I did manage to snap a shot of this Stellar's Jay while snowshoeing in Rocky Mt. National Park Saturday.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:48 PM   #356
Pirate

A bit of color on his head too! Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
Not a birdwatcher but I did manage to snap a shot of this Stellar's Jay while snowshoeing in Rocky Mt. National Park Saturday.

arent they loud? haha found them this year and boy were they noisy!
Old 02-17-2014, 08:11 PM   #357
LensCap

Quote:
A bit of color on his head too! Nice!

arent they loud? haha found them this year and boy were they noisy!
Yeah! And that image is cropped in quite a bit from the original photo. I'm amazed at how well it came out considering that. Thanks!

Yeah Steller's Jays are quite noisy, especially in groups. Same with Western Scrub Jays and most other corvids. Everyone knows the scrub-jays on campus because they're so damn annoying
Old 02-17-2014, 10:32 PM   #358
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Jays are pretty smart too. Or at least it seems like it in camp

Nice Canada Goose Heavy landing...you got that moment that marks the transition between flight and settling in the water. Love that.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:43 AM   #359

Wow great shots Kevin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
Jays are pretty smart too. Or at least it seems like it in camp

Nice Canada Goose Heavy landing...you got that moment that marks the transition between flight and settling in the water. Love that.
That landing is my favorite in the bunch although it is hard to pick just one, It looks like the tail is used as a rudder and drag brake never have noticed that before.

Jealous of the different Jays you all have from the Rockies and West. Always called the Grey Jay camp robbers and even had one fly in and steal a piece of silverware laying out about 5 feet from me years ago. Nothing is safe from them. On the Canadian border last week had a few camp robbers around but mainly blue jays. Only one day out of the week that it didn't snow and had blue skies.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:49 AM   #360
craigb has a brilliant futurecraigb has a brilliant futurecraigb has a brilliant futurecraigb has a brilliant futurecraigb has a brilliant futurecraigb has a brilliant futurecraigb has a brilliant futurecraigb has a brilliant futurecraigb has a brilliant futurecraigb has a brilliant futurecraigb has a brilliant future
Name: Craig
craigb's Tacoma Gallery
https://www.facebook.com/thebirdnerd...age_fan_invite

The lady that has this facebook site works with my wife. Really great photo's if you want to look. She just started up the site, so she doesn't have all of her photo's on it.