LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Birding and Bird Photography

Old 01-06-2014, 03:47 PM   #21
LensCap
92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92shawman's Tacoma Gallery
Oh yeah, Nice shot! Definitely a Northern Harrier. You can kinda see the facial disk I was talking about in that picture, too. The white arc on the side of the head.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:52 PM   #22
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Old 01-06-2014, 04:01 PM   #24
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Old 01-06-2014, 04:05 PM   #25
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Juvenile bald eagle from last summer's trip to AK.

He was hanging around stealing fish all week. The adults were too dignified and stayed pretty far away. He hung out about 10 yards away most of the time, waiting for a chance to sneak off with a sockeye. Gray sky background sucks but hey - it's Alaska. Clear skies are rare.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:39 PM   #26
Pirate
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Captain Jack Sparrow
m3bassman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92shawman View Post
This is one of my favorite Bald Eagle shots that you've posted. I love seeing those talons stretched out and the line at the primary wing feathers is really cool!

Ben, the easiest way for me to tell between a raven and a crow is the call (you got it right, deep, throaty call is a raven) or the tail shape. Ravens have a rounded tail in flight that makes kind of a diamond shape when it's fanned out while crows have a more square tail that fans out into an arc.
Awesome Bufflehead and Mallard pictures, too!
Thanks. Wish the light was better. Had some very good close ups, much better than that that were blurry

the ducks are very pretty and it is fun getting on your stomach there with your elbows in the water (near freezing i might add) and getting up close and personal to the little guys. The buff heads are my favorite duck so far. so small and very pretty!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
Incredible!
Quote:
Nice! I love raptors
x2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post

He was hanging around stealing fish all week. The adults were too dignified and stayed pretty far away. He hung out about 10 yards away most of the time, waiting for a chance to sneak off with a sockeye. Gray sky background sucks but hey - it's Alaska. Clear skies are rare.
Woah, very interesting bird! All the juveniles down here this year were a much richer and darker color. None of them had the black beak either. Very cool!

Two species to add to my list today. Up to 22 since i started keeping track a couple weeks ago.
California Quail. Interesting to note, none of the resources I've found label this area as being any part of their habitat but they have been around here as long as i can remember. And it also explains why that Cooper's Hawk is hanging around here.

California Quail by benjaminspringli, on Flickr
And a shitty, low light, long distance shot but i got a house sparrow in the bag as well. Was another bird on the feeder for a minute but none of my pictures i could use to ID it so no go

House Sparrow by benjaminspringli, on Flickr
Old 01-06-2014, 06:21 PM   #27
LensCap
92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post

Weird lookin' bird! It's crazy how different the juvies are from the adults in the eagles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
Two species to add to my list today. Up to 22 since i started keeping track a couple weeks ago.
California Quail. Interesting to note, none of the resources I've found label this area as being any part of their habitat but they have been around here as long as i can remember. And it also explains why that Cooper's Hawk is hanging around here.

California Quail by benjaminspringli, on Flickr
And a shitty, low light, long distance shot but i got a house sparrow in the bag as well. Was another bird on the feeder for a minute but none of my pictures i could use to ID it so no go

House Sparrow by benjaminspringli, on Flickr
Nice! I gotta write down my 2014 list...
What sources were you looking at for the range of the cooper's hawk and the quail? My guide (Nat geo Birds of North America) shows both species throughout the pacific north west year round. Although, what states are in the PNW? I was just looking at OR, WA, and northern CA.

Here are some shots from the arboretum I took earlier today:
Nuttall's Woodpecker:

Nuttall's Woodpecker 3 by 92shawman, on Flickr

Anna's Hummingbird:

Anna's Hummingbird at Flower by 92shawman, on Flickr

Green Heron:

Green Heron hunting 1 by 92shawman, on Flickr

Hermit Thrush:

Hermit Thrush by 92shawman, on Flickr

Belted Kingfisher: (Loved shooting her)

Belted Kingfisher 5 by 92shawman, on Flickr

Belted Kingfisher 2 by 92shawman, on Flickr

White-crowned Sparrow:

White-crowned Sparrow by 92shawman, on Flickr
Old 01-06-2014, 06:56 PM   #28
Pirate
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

So jealous. Im usin allaboutbirds . com

and i bought this

as for region, i am in Idaho. Cooper's hawk is in the area according to both but the quail are east of both those sources range. i can tell you we have had the quail here for years. also, i determined that the Cooper's Hawk is hanging here and feeding on the quail. Same yard i saw the quail in is the same that the hawk was over looking.

I am not keeping an annual count but an overall list. Im keeping track on a set on flickr in case you are interested in checking it out.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:27 PM   #29

ian408's Tacoma Gallery
I found a copy of Sibley's which is pretty good for id'ing birds. I have a couple of cheater cards for the locals.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:41 PM   #30
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Is your woodpecker not an Acorn Woodpecker Ben ?
Old 01-06-2014, 07:47 PM   #31
Pirate

This book is far better than the Audubon book I had been borrowing from my father. I looked at many different ones and this one is the best one I found. Cane with a DVD with calls on it too
Old 01-06-2014, 08:44 PM   #32
LensCap

Quote:
So jealous. Im usin allaboutbirds . com

and i bought this

as for region, i am in Idaho. Cooper's hawk is in the area according to both but the quail are east of both those sources range. i can tell you we have had the quail here for years. also, i determined that the Cooper's Hawk is hanging here and feeding on the quail. Same yard i saw the quail in is the same that the hawk was over looking.

I am not keeping an annual count but an overall list. Im keeping track on a set on flickr in case you are interested in checking it out.
Oh ok, you said PNW before, and I thought that only included WA, OR, and CA. Yes, that makes sense then, that is odd that you would see quail, but if they keep coming back then that's their winter area! Cooper's hawks are bird-eating hawks, too, so that also makes sense. Yay for bird oddities!
I'll definitely check out your list! Birder's generally keep several lists: Life lists (what you're doing), Annual lists/Big years (what I'm doing, but without the intensity of an official big year), Big days, and then conservation groups will do various bird counts, usually in the winter - the christmas bird counts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Is your woodpecker not an Acorn Woodpecker Ben ?
Do you mean mine? I didn't see Ben post any woodpeckers, and the only other one is clearly a Pileated. Acorn woodpeckers have solid black wings and white in the center of their backs, while Nuttall's have that kind of ladder on the back up to the shoulders, so mine is definitely a Nuttall's.

Another good resource is whatbird . com. It's the same database as the iBird app for iPhone and Android, so it'll have photos, illustrations, random facts, life history, sizes, and calls/songs.

For the scientific stuff, check out Birds of North America Online (google it, I don't know the URL). You need a subscription, but usually Universities have a subscription so you can log in through your library VPN. That's got tons of fantastic, peer reviewed information in there.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:46 PM   #33
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah your pic , not Ben , sorry got the posts mixed up

BTW , CALI is not in the PNW
Old 01-06-2014, 08:55 PM   #34
LensCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Yeah your pic , not Ben , sorry got the posts mixed up

BTW , CALI is not in the PNW
No worries.

Not even northern California? I was only considering north of the Eureka forests as the CA portion of the PNW, but I have no idea.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:05 PM   #35

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No worries.

Not even northern California? I was only considering north of the Eureka forests as the CA portion of the PNW, but I have no idea.

No

No California , no Idaho
Old 01-06-2014, 09:06 PM   #36
Pirate

Don't listen to oz. He knows nothing of the Pnw.

I might keep an annual and a life long. Right now my life long is my annual for the most part lol.

Do you use ibrid Kevin? I'm tempted to buy it
Old 01-06-2014, 09:10 PM   #37

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I like my Audobon Society Western Canada bird guide
Old 01-06-2014, 09:14 PM   #38
Pirate

The problem with the audobon that I had was the pictures were on different pages than the words. Also only one picture per species.

The Smithsonian has the pictures and info on the same page, and color coded maps. We have both books out and the Smithsonian has been consistent with identifying the birds where the Audubon fell short
Old 01-06-2014, 09:19 PM   #39

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The problem with the audobon that I had was the pictures were on different pages than the words. Also only one picture per species.

The Smithsonian has the pictures and info on the same page, and color coded maps. We have both books out and the Smithsonian has been consistent with identifying the birds where the Audubon fell short

I understand what you mean , I usually use the book and cross reference with online sources

I also have a birding / bird call app called Chirp! Canada , that helps a lot when you have to ID birds at a distance by their song too
Old 01-06-2014, 10:00 PM   #40
LensCap

Haha, wikipedia says we're all right about the PNW anyways, so whatever.

I have used a Sibley guide the most for Western North America, I use the Nat Geo for North America, and I also have the iBird app. It's nice to only have to carry your phone/ipod in the field instead of the guide, but the app lacks in it's searching power. With a guide, once you learn where the orders are and how to determine an unknown bird's order, then it is much easier to look in the book to compare different species than to try to search and compare species in the app.
The app's saving grace is the calls. BUT, it's important to consider the ethics of playing bird calls. There are numerous opinions but generally playing the call has the potential to distract birds that are migrating or raising young from collecting food, which could lower their fitness. For my field surveys that I have done, it is illegal for me to play a recording of an endangered bird call because I didn't have the proper permits. Now obviously they can't enforce that on birders, I was doing environmental impact survey work, but it's just something to consider before playing the call.
I usually don't broadcast the call to attract the bird, but will listen to the recording on a low volume up against my ear to compare the live bird to the recording to identify the species.