Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Birding and Bird Photography

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-06-2014, 10:03 PM   #42
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
iChirp seems like a pretty interesting app. Would never have thought about that.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:07 PM   #43
Professional Web Wheeler
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Captain Jack Sparrow
m3bassman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I understand what you mean , I usually use the book and cross reference with online sources

I also have a birding / bird call app called Chirp! Canada , that helps a lot when you have to ID birds at a distance by their song too
i usually listen and then go home and listen via the DVD and or allaboutbirds. it helped me get the crow/raven debate settled.

pretty funny that ive been playing different calls and several i recognize. never noticed them before but when i heard them it was like wow, ive heard that a lot. Killdeer and robins especially.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:11 PM   #44
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
i usually listen and then go home and listen via the DVD and or allaboutbirds. it helped me get the crow/raven debate settled.

pretty funny that ive been playing different calls and several i recognize. never noticed them before but when i heard them it was like wow, ive heard that a lot. Killdeer and robins especially.

Ravens do a really interesting thing , they will soar along , pull in their wings , roll upside down and when they are directly upside down they let out a single " knock " sound
Old 01-06-2014, 10:20 PM   #45
Professional Web Wheeler
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Ravens do a really interesting thing , they will soar along , pull in their wings , roll upside down and when they are directly upside down they let out a single " knock " sound
well not these ravens haha big birds though! that would have been crazy to see. only had one unexplainable thing happen when watching the eagles. there was an eagle soaring high over the water and their was another bird flying around it. But this bird moved unlike any i have seen. it changed direction so instantaneously it was almost unnatural. one of the other photographers sanding next to me was just as dumbfounded and thought maybe it was a Turn of some sort. i have never seen anything move through the air like that. only lasted a minute and flew off. too far away to even try to shoot.

ive seen the Gulls dart and dive but they dont move that fast. ive watched and eagle fly backwards, dive and all as well, it wasnt one of them. (although watching it fly backwards was incredible). no clue what we saw out there.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:21 PM   #46
LensCap
92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92shawman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Haha, yeah that'll happen. Check black-headed grosbeak and hermit thrush, too, though, they sound kinda similar.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:25 PM   #47
LensCap
92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I've seen crows do that sorta thing, too. They just kinda tumble downwards on purpose and recover at the last second. I've never heard of the knock sound, though! That's weird!

Quote:
well not these ravens haha big birds though! that would have been crazy to see. only had one unexplainable thing happen when watching the eagles. there was an eagle soaring high over the water and their was another bird flying around it. But this bird moved unlike any i have seen. it changed direction so instantaneously it was almost unnatural. one of the other photographers sanding next to me was just as dumbfounded and thought maybe it was a Turn of some sort. i have never seen anything move through the air like that. only lasted a minute and flew off. too far away to even try to shoot.

ive seen the Gulls dart and dive but they dont move that fast. ive watched and eagle fly backwards, dive and all as well, it wasnt one of them. (although watching it fly backwards was incredible). no clue what we saw out there.
Duuuude...so much weird in this post! Did you catch/remember the wing/body shape of that one that changed direction instantaneously? How was it flying otherwise?
Geeze, an Eagle flying backward? That's crazy!
Old 01-06-2014, 10:28 PM   #48
Professional Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92shawman View Post
I've seen crows do that sorta thing, too. They just kinda tumble downwards on purpose and recover at the last second. I've never heard of the knock sound, though! That's weird!

Duuuude...so much weird in this post! Did you catch/remember the wing/body shape of that one that changed direction instantaneously? How was it flying otherwise?
Geeze, an Eagle flying backward? That's crazy!
it was a good distance away sadly. about the size of a gull based on the size of the eagle near it. besides that i could not tell more. just could see the speed it moved and rough guess on the size. i just remember the deaf guy next to me let out a loud WTF is that?? and we both looked on in wonder for the next minute before it was gone.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:38 PM   #49
LensCap

Quote:
it was a good distance away sadly. about the size of a gull based on the size of the eagle near it. besides that i could not tell more. just could see the speed it moved and rough guess on the size. i just remember the deaf guy next to me let out a loud WTF is that?? and we both looked on in wonder for the next minute before it was gone.
Damn, haha, I got nothin'. Crazy story!
Old 01-06-2014, 10:40 PM   #50
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I've seen crows do that sorta thing, too. They just kinda tumble downwards on purpose and recover at the last second. I've never heard of the knock sound, though!

The ravens make this knock sound quite often , they seem to use it quite a bit around their nesting site and when they are calling others at a distance too

The raven starts knocking at 1:55

https://m.soundcloud.com/wildaroundu...ven-knocking-1
Old 01-06-2014, 10:40 PM   #51
Professional Web Wheeler

Quote:
Damn, haha, I got nothin'. Crazy story!
just neeture being neet
Old 01-06-2014, 10:43 PM   #52
LensCap

Quote:
The ravens make this knock sound quite often , they seem to use it quite a bit around their nesting site and when they are calling others at a distance too

The raven starts knocking at 1:55

https://m.soundcloud.com/wildaroundu...ven-knocking-1
Such a weird sound!
Old 01-06-2014, 10:44 PM   #53

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Such a weird sound!

I like it

They use a single knock when they do the upside down flying thing
Old 01-07-2014, 09:50 AM   #54
LensCap

Oh and here's what happened when I tried to take a picture of a Ruby-crowned Kinglet...damn guys are so fast!

Ruby-crowned Kinglet by 92shawman, on Flickr
Old 01-07-2014, 11:23 AM   #55
Cold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MMC(SW) USN Ret.
Name: Mike
Cold Iron's Tacoma Gallery
I hope it is OK to ask this here but finally some people that know what I'm looking for. I haven't upgraded my digital camera in years mainly because the main thing I am looking for is to take pictures of Birds in Flight. And this thread has some stunning pictures if anyone would know you all would.

I've read a lot about BIF and cameras and by the time I am done end up more confused each time on what it takes. I can purchase a Pentax K-50 16MP Digital SLR Camera with DA L 18-55 and 50-200 WR Lenses right now for a pretty decent price through the military exchange. Not sure if I can get there from here with that setup? I would love to be able to get a picture of a ruffed grouse at launch and first few yards of flying and their wing beat is ~50 sec, close to a hummingbird which is 50-70 or so. Of course I want the detail and sharpness, etc. Does anyone think the K-50 which is also water resistant and those lenses would work for that and general bird pictures? Or do I need to move up in quality?
Old 01-07-2014, 11:27 AM   #56
Professional Web Wheeler

i dont know anything about the camera itself but in terms of focal lengths, youll probably be left wanting more with only a 200mm. it might be perfect start up for you though! nice thing is you can upgrade down the road.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:26 PM   #57
Cold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MMC(SW) USN Ret.
Name: Mike
Cold Iron's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks, yeah most everyone says you will want a 400 from what I have read. Just found a 150-500 that will fit it at the Exchange too. This site has cost me a small fortune for the truck now I have a feeling it is going to hurt the bank account in other ways LOL. But it will be worth it I'm sure. Your pictures of birds in flight aren't helping me any!
Old 01-07-2014, 04:34 PM   #58
Professional Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Iron View Post
Thanks, yeah most everyone says you will want a 400 from what I have read. Just found a 150-500 that will fit it at the Exchange too. This site has cost me a small fortune for the truck now I have a feeling it is going to hurt the bank account in other ways LOL. But it will be worth it I'm sure. Your pictures of birds in flight aren't helping me any!

is the 150-500 image stabilized?

And thanks Ive just been filling time by practicing, reading, and thinking about it all and working hard at it. Im just a student at home on winter break ha

i read this book this break. very good info. a lot of the info expands beyond the scope of birds as well. lots of good info in it.
http://www.digitalbirdphotography.com/cover.html
Old 01-07-2014, 06:51 PM   #59
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i dont know anything about the camera itself but in terms of focal lengths, youll probably be left wanting more with only a 200mm. it might be perfect start up for you though! nice thing is you can upgrade down the road.
Most of my bird stuff is either 300 or 500. FWIW, I turn the stabilizer off. I do use either a monopod or a Wimberly on a tripod.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:01 PM   #60
Professional Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
Most of my bird stuff is either 300 or 500. FWIW, I turn the stabilizer off. I do use either a monopod or a Wimberly on a tripod.
300 is sort of the intermediate telephoto for sure.

if you are using a tripod then yes, rule of thumb is to turn the IS off. i run hand held or on a mono. there are often two IS modes on lenses. setting one is for stationary objects and mode 2 is for panning. i need to experiment with the monopod to see if it shoots better with or without IS.

I'm jealous of your 500mm range

Products Discussed in this Thread