Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Birding and Bird Photography

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-02-2014, 05:10 PM   #1
LensCap
92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92shawman's Tacoma Gallery
Birding and Bird Photography

After some great birding discussions and photographs in the official photography thread, I decided to make a thread devoted to birding/birdwatching and bird photography.

I am an avid birder and have taken a number of ornithology classes at university and I absolutely love birds, and I figure this will help others to appreciate them as well.

So, feel free to post up crazy sightings, bird identification questions, photographs, equipment you are using, resources etc.!
For ease in identification: Please include the general region and time of year you observed the bird if you need help ID'ing something.

To start things off, here is a shot I took of an Anna's Hummingbird in my parent's backyard in San Diego County for one of the challenges in the weekly photography challenge thread:

IMG_7570_edited_small by 92shawman, on Flickr
Taken with a Canon T2i with a 70-300mm lens

Good birding!
Old 01-02-2014, 05:56 PM   #2
Professional Web Wheeler
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Captain Jack Sparrow
m3bassman's Tacoma Gallery
Start off with humming birds eh? I have identified this as a Broad tail hummingbird. Female of course. The mails had green backs and the vivid red throats. Found in the rockies.

Broad-tailed Hummingbird by benjaminspringli, on Flickr

Found three new species for my list, that i only started last week
This guy was a surprise and required a hike to get a decent shot of. Steller's Jay.

IMG_8562 by benjaminspringli, on Flickr
This was very unexpected. Have never seen one of these locally before. While the buffleheads, common greeneyes, and mallards are extremely abundant, this pair of Hooded Mergansers was certainly a surprise to see.

Hooded Merganser by benjaminspringli, on Flickr
And finally, i saw this guy in the morning but luckily as i was leaving the area at the end of the day, i was able to get up close for a shot.

Red-Tailed Hawk by benjaminspringli, on Flickr
Final picture, for today, is this incredible view of six, yes six, bald eagles fighting over one fish. picture sucks but the sight is incredible.

IMG_8686 by benjaminspringli, on Flickr
Old 01-02-2014, 06:00 PM   #3
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome , I really enjoy birding

We have Anna's Hummingbirds that live here throughout the winter , it's crazy to see them out in the snow
Old 01-02-2014, 06:00 PM   #4
LensCap
92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Nice! I'm definitely jealous of your location, Ben. I visited Estes Park a few years ago during 4th of July and saw those broad-tailed hummingbirds zipping around. They were crazy!

P.S. Looks like you forgot to copy the hooded merganser link and pasted the steller's jay again.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:05 PM   #5
Professional Web Wheeler
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fixed.Funny how i never really noticed all the different birds here before. Summer should be interesting. I mean today in one cove, i had buffleheads, canadian geese, eagles, jays, great blue herons, gulls, crows/raven(still can't get a shot of it ) mergansers, cormorants, golden eyes, and hawks...IN THE DEAD OF WINTER! gonna have fun once spring rolls around.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:13 PM   #6
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Birds are great subjects!

Sorry for the crappy quality of this one-but check out the talons...the bird picked up the rabbit, carried it 6' in the air and then dropped it.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:31 PM   #7
Professional Web Wheeler

IMG_8780 by benjaminspringli, on Flickr

IMG_8726 by benjaminspringli, on Flickr
Old 01-04-2014, 05:35 PM   #8
Professional Web Wheeler

Need to add pictures when I get home tonight, but added more species today. Common mergansers, common raven, and the gem today was a Coopers hawk. Editing photos from this morning and look out to a Coopers hawk on the neighbors roof.

Been talking to my dad who used to be big into birding and may head over to the Puget sound area in the spring and rent some good glass. Need to research where to go exactly.

I'll add some photos tonight.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:38 PM   #9
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Today I was watching a bunch of Chesnut-backed Chickadees , a Nuthatch , Towhees , Oregon Juncos , Varied Thrush and an Acorn Woodpecker all feeding at my suet block

I gotta start taking pics
Old 01-04-2014, 05:53 PM   #10
Miley loves you
302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

302's Tacoma Gallery
Saw two bald eagles in three days which is a rare event for Delaware. Got my iPhone out for the second one, which was a juvenile eating a small deer carcass.

Went home after and dusted off the old Cannon Rebel SLR. Maybe more pics to come.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:54 PM   #11

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Oh yeah , that reminds me , I saw 2 Bald Eagles today too
Old 01-04-2014, 06:20 PM   #12
Professional Web Wheeler

The eagles are almost out of salmon here. I can see the number is dropping by the day. Still saw about 30-50 today but we were seeing a lot more earlier
Old 01-04-2014, 06:43 PM   #13
Cold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MMC(SW) USN Ret.
Name: Mike
Cold Iron's Tacoma Gallery
Every evening at least one Bald Eagle flies over my house and down the ravine. Have thought about getting a picture but the trees are thick and timing has never been right.

On the suet feeder attached to the deck usually have a Red bellied woodpecker plus the other usual suspects waiting to take a turn. Today twice had a Pileated woodpecker on it, first time that he has come this close to the house. Temperatures are dropping down to the -20's F and colder starting tonight and they must know it, everything was hitting the feeders hard. Used my cell phone, he didn't stay around long either time and my digital camera isn't exactly high end either. Sorry about the poor quality but was all I had. But it was kind of exciting to see it that close.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:36 PM   #14
Taco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Taco'09's Tacoma Gallery
OP, nice thread. I'm on a humming bird flyway in the Rockies. Each summer we have about 12 giant feeders and go through about 5 gallons of sugar water every two days, especially during July and August. Looks like a bee hive at the feeders and visitors are impressed.....especially as they will land on your hand! Have lots of Broad Tail and the noisy orange Rufus as they pass through early in the spring and then the return in the fall.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:00 PM   #15
Professional Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Iron View Post
Every evening at least one Bald Eagle flies over my house and down the ravine. Have thought about getting a picture but the trees are thick and timing has never been right.

On the suet feeder attached to the deck usually have a Red bellied woodpecker plus the other usual suspects waiting to take a turn. Today twice had a Pileated woodpecker on it, first time that he has come this close to the house. Temperatures are dropping down to the -20's F and colder starting tonight and they must know it, everything was hitting the feeders hard. Used my cell phone, he didn't stay around long either time and my digital camera isn't exactly high end either. Sorry about the poor quality but was all I had. But it was kind of exciting to see it that close.

interesting looking bird! Very cool!
Old 01-04-2014, 11:37 PM   #16
Professional Web Wheeler

Ok pictures, as promised. First we will start with one of my favorite shots of an adult this year. First blue bird day in a while.

Cooper's Hawk. A bit out of the norm here this time of year fro what i have read but then again, it has been a mild winter

Here is a common raven as best as i can discern. Took a while to decide on it over a Crwo but the deeper calls and general large size leads me to raven. Hard to get a good shot of a black bird!

Here is a male Bufflehead. Been able to get close to the female at the spot i go to and finally a male showed up today. Very pretty. My favorite ducks for sure

And another shot of a mallard. One of my better ones.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:15 AM   #17
Professional Web Wheeler

Another day, another species.
American Crow

American Crow by benjaminspringli, on Flickr
Old 01-06-2014, 01:17 AM   #18
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd. I was wondering when you guys were going to get this thread going.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:24 PM   #19
LensCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
Birds are great subjects!

Sorry for the crappy quality of this one-but check out the talons...the bird picked up the rabbit, carried it 6' in the air and then dropped it.
Did you ID this guy? I'm pretty sure it's a Northern Harrier, but not 100% sure. Harriers are really cool, they've actually got a facial disk like owls do so that they can hunt small mammals in grasslands by sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post

IMG_8726 by benjaminspringli, on Flickr
This is one of my favorite Bald Eagle shots that you've posted. I love seeing those talons stretched out and the line at the primary wing feathers is really cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco'09 View Post
OP, nice thread. I'm on a humming bird flyway in the Rockies. Each summer we have about 12 giant feeders and go through about 5 gallons of sugar water every two days, especially during July and August. Looks like a bee hive at the feeders and visitors are impressed.....especially as they will land on your hand! Have lots of Broad Tail and the noisy orange Rufus as they pass through early in the spring and then the return in the fall.
Nice! Yeah keep those feeders filled up! The hummingbirds will become dependent on them and if you forget to fill them up they can starve. If I remember correctly, hummers are like 3 hours away from starvation at any given time or something ridiculous like that.
My parents have a Rufous Hummingbird in their backyard and he always buzzes off with that flight whistle whenever we walk past his perch. I'm bummed I didn't get a picture of him.

Beautiful Pileated Woodpecker, Cold Iron! I haven't seen one of those yet, I really want to!

Ben, the easiest way for me to tell between a raven and a crow is the call (you got it right, deep, throaty call is a raven) or the tail shape. Ravens have a rounded tail in flight that makes kind of a diamond shape when it's fanned out while crows have a more square tail that fans out into an arc.
Awesome Bufflehead and Mallard pictures, too!

I'll jump on the Bald Eagle bandwagon, too! Saw one this weekend up near the Sacramento National Wildlife Refuge during a student hunter camp. Cool camp, too. Lots of Northern Pintail, Wigeon, a few Mallards, lots of Double-Crested Cormorants, tens of thousands of Snow Geese and Greater White-fronted Geese, some Sandhill Cranes, oh and some Wood Ducks, too!

Just got back to Davis last night and today went out to the campus Arboretum to photograph birds. It started off kinda bland with lots of Yellow-rumped Warblers and Western Scrub-Jays but then it picked up when I started hunting down a Belted Kingfisher that I heard down the creek a ways. Got some good pictures of her that I'll upload soon. Also saw a Hermit Thrush, some Ruby-crowned Kinglets, a Green Heron, and a Nuttall's Woodpecker that posed fantastically for me. I'll get those pics up later today.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:12 PM   #20
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
I'm pretty sure it's a Northern Harrier.

Products Discussed in this Thread