Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Adjusting a Shimano front and rear deraillieur

Old 03-25-2009, 11:03 AM   #1
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation Adjusting a Shimano front and rear deraillieur

I want to adjust it becuase the place I got my mountain bike from didnt adjust anything.

I have a 21 speed bike. The gears in the rear-- 1st,2nd, and 3rd are fine but then when I attempt to switch into 4th it changes gears twice. So its in 6th and when I change to 7th..... there is none

For the front gears...... 1st just works (gets into gear-- it hesitates to) and then 2nd doesnt do anything (the chain just rubs the cage-- and I have to switch to the non existant gear to stop it from rubbing) and there is no 3rd gear.

Already did the brake but not the front disc brake.. Help on that as well.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:06 AM   #2
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
where the cable enters your derailleur, there is a barrel adjuster. Give it about a quarter turn clockwise and go for a test ride.

There are also adjusters on the shifters that will accomplish the same thing, but I don't feel comfortable giving clockwise vs counterclockwise directions on those.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:08 AM   #3
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
there are tutorials all over the net. I googled and this popped up first

http://bicycletutor.com/adjust-rear-derailleur/

You can see the barrel adjuster in this picture

Old 03-25-2009, 11:12 AM   #4
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
I dont have to worry about the High and Low screws?
Old 03-25-2009, 11:13 AM   #5
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
your bike shop should have properly set up the bike before the sale. make them do it.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:16 AM   #6
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Generally, no, but you might. High and low should be adjusted once when the bike was built and then adjusted if you are having issues at the high and low gears.

The high and low screw set your limits, the problem you described sounds like a cable tension issue.

You should go check out the video sites, seeing is easier than reading what to do.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:17 AM   #7
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
your bike shop should have properly set up the bike before the sale. make them do it.
I think it was a Wally World purchase.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:18 AM   #8
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Sports Academy--- Its a temporary bike until I get a Summer job
Old 03-25-2009, 11:19 AM   #9
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I would recommend breaking it in for a month, then bring it in to a bicycle shop and pay for a tuneup. (~$40-55)
Old 03-25-2009, 11:22 AM   #10
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
I would recommend breaking it in for a month, then bring it in to a bicycle shop and pay for a tuneup. (~$40-55)
Yeah I heard that you needed to wait until the cables have stopped stretching....
Old 03-25-2009, 11:25 AM   #11
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentsnh View Post
Yeah I heard that you needed to wait until the cables have stopped stretching....
Correct. When you bring it in, they'll adjust brakes, derailleurs, wheels, and check over the bike.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:28 AM   #12
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
alright good. Ill wait a month then