Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Mountain Bike question

Old 03-27-2009, 04:04 PM   #1
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Question Mountain Bike question

How do you tighten the cranks on a MB? They wobble and squeak when I pedal
Old 03-27-2009, 04:50 PM   #2
T100
zigzagg321 will become famous soon enough
zigzagg321's Tacoma Gallery
take off the pedals at the bottom bracket. Then, depending on what bike you have, there may be any of a few different styles of fastening for the internals of the bottom bracket. tighten depending on what you find in there.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:57 PM   #3
gdctaco is on a distinguished road
gdctaco's Tacoma Gallery
evrytime i had that prob, older GT, it was a blown bottom bracket.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:01 PM   #4
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Well its a Brand New bike only had it for a week or so
Old 03-27-2009, 07:04 PM   #5
bradu81 will become famous soon enoughbradu81 will become famous soon enough
bradu81's Tacoma Gallery
what type of cranks do you have?
Old 03-27-2009, 07:17 PM   #6
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
My temporary bike I got is a Mongoose Detour MB. Its stock.

I might keep it and just mod it.... or wait until I get a job and get a REAL bike
Old 03-27-2009, 07:18 PM   #7
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Old 03-27-2009, 07:27 PM   #8
mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy
FlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
FlawedXJ's Tacoma Gallery
once you can drive, you're not going to want to do anything to a bike.....promise.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:33 PM   #9
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Your probably right about that. I still need to fix this crank issue

Mod Bug is in season for me.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:34 PM   #10
mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy
FlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
FlawedXJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentsnh View Post

Oh yeah. Something about the warm weather is making me build endless shit. Just did somethings to my dads truck for him even though he didn't ask me too. I gotta be working on something at all times.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:39 PM   #11
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
X2 on working on something all the time. When I get bored I find something, take it apart and put it back together over and over again.

What did you do? I was about to do the Fog Mod today but missed my chance
Old 03-27-2009, 07:46 PM   #12
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
don't ride the bike with loose cranks. You can easily damage the cranks and the bottom bracket.

This was one of those things I was hoping wouldn't come up until the tune up. You can bring it in to a shop and hope they're nice, or you can use an 8mm Allen wrench. You'll need a long one. Tighten the snot out of it, but do not let it slip/strip.

As a previous poster mentioned, there is no need to remove the cranks. Just tighten them up.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:48 PM   #13
T100
zigzagg321 will become famous soon enough
zigzagg321's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

did you remove the pedal arms yet and see what your working with?
Old 03-27-2009, 07:57 PM   #14
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
don't ride the bike with loose cranks. You can easily damage the cranks and the bottom bracket.

This was one of those things I was hoping wouldn't come up until the tune up. You can bring it in to a shop and hope they're nice, or you can use an 8mm Allen wrench. You'll need a long one. Tighten the snot out of it, but do not let it slip/strip.

As a previous poster mentioned, there is no need to remove the cranks. Just tighten them up.
Thats exactly what I did. Tightened the snot out of them but yet they still wobble and squeak (more like a muffled squeak)
Old 03-27-2009, 07:59 PM   #15
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagg321 View Post
did you remove the pedal arms yet and see what your working with?
Crank arms? no I havent. Its a BRAND NEW bike.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:02 PM   #16
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thats exactly what I did. Tightened the snot out of them but yet they still wobble and squeak (more like a muffled squeak)
a squeak is OK. Some just do that. You can also take off your pedals, grease the threads and reinstall the pedals.

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/4...ls-bicycle.htm

Sometimes removing the cranks, greasing the bottom bracket spindle, and correctly torquing the cranks back on will help. There is also the possibility that you rode too long with them loose and they began to wear out on the mating surfaces.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:03 PM   #17
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Crank arms? no I havent. Its a BRAND NEW bike.
that wasn't put together appropriately Buy your nice bike from a bicycle shop and use their free tune ups.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:13 PM   #18
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
a squeak is OK. Some just do that. You can also take off your pedals, grease the threads and reinstall the pedals.

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/4...ls-bicycle.htm

Sometimes removing the cranks, greasing the bottom bracket spindle, and correctly torquing the cranks back on will help. There is also the possibility that you rode too long with them loose and they began to wear out on the mating surfaces.
Ok ill try that tomorrow. But when I started to tighten them today. they were very tight maybe 1/8th of a turn is all it could give
Old 03-27-2009, 08:14 PM   #19
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
that wasn't put together appropriately Buy your nice bike from a bicycle shop and use their free tune ups.
I am. Once I get the money