Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Tacoma Truck Portraits

Old 03-18-2014, 06:19 PM   #1
ERMB is one of the sharper tools in the shedERMB is one of the sharper tools in the shedERMB is one of the sharper tools in the shedERMB is one of the sharper tools in the shedERMB is one of the sharper tools in the shedERMB is one of the sharper tools in the shedERMB is one of the sharper tools in the shedERMB is one of the sharper tools in the shedERMB is one of the sharper tools in the shedERMB is one of the sharper tools in the shedERMB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ERMB's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma Truck Portraits

So I've been thinking about this for some time now. I'm a high school art teacher and have been wanting to do something new for a change on the side. I specialize in Watercolor painting and for years I have mostly made Home Portraits for those who wanted them. People send me Photos of their house or I would go and photograph the house and do a painting based on what they would like to see.

Since I joined the site I've been so impressed by the amazing photography captured by members who are trying new and interesting ways of showcasing their trucks. Not only impressed, but often inspired and every time I come across one of these great photos, I can't help but think how it might look as a painting.

I'm interested in putting a feeler out there to see if their might be even the slightest bit of interest in this sort of thing. I thought I'd start out by showing the process and documenting my progress on an example painting which I started today. This is just a image I found online but will make some changes from the original to make it more my own. Forgive me if it's your truck, not sure who or if it belongs to anyone on here.

I'll also throw a couple of examples of some of my other work to give you an idea on the quality of my work.

Edit: I try to accommodate people buying art by making it easy for them to go out and purchase standard size frames which are much, much less than custom frames from a frame shop. Please PM me with questions or if interested in purchase.

Truck Portrait Prices:
9 in x 12in - $125
11in x 14in - $185
16in x 20in - $250
18in x 24in - $325
24in x 32in - $450

These prices reflect standard frame sizes. Over the next few days I'll definitely take serious suggestions on prices to see if what I have posted seems fair and will adjust accordingly.
Thanks for looking,
-Scott

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Day 4

Day 5

Day 6 - Complete

Thanks for looking,
-Scott

Other Examples-

Watercolor Painting

Watercolor Painting

Color Pencil Drawing

Pencil Drawing

Old 03-19-2014, 07:29 AM   #3
Retired Senior NCO
sfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired U.S. Army Air Defender
Name: Dan
sfcadams's Tacoma Gallery
very nice
Old 03-19-2014, 07:32 AM   #5
wingshooter is on a distinguished road
Name: Glenn
wingshooter's Tacoma Gallery
You have some serious talent.

Glenn
Old 03-19-2014, 07:37 AM   #6
Nickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Diego
Nickel's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome! Incredible work! I'm sure someone will want you to immortalize their truck. What do you charge?
Old 03-19-2014, 07:40 AM   #7
KaPantsKey will become famous soon enough

Name: Kyle
KaPantsKey's Tacoma Gallery
Impressive.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:51 AM   #8
AKA Crash Bandicoot
ChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: National Guard: Infantry/ROTC Cadet
Name: Cam
ChamYota's Tacoma Gallery
You the mofos who have stolen the artistic ability of most of the world and use it yourself haha, no wonder i have no artistic ability haha.

Looks good man!
Old 03-19-2014, 07:57 AM   #10
Mean Big Brother
eborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
eborgie's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to eborgie
I would be interested in a painting of this. It was already messed with in Photoshop.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:59 AM   #11
1stgenpre has much to be proud of1stgenpre has much to be proud of1stgenpre has much to be proud of1stgenpre has much to be proud of1stgenpre has much to be proud of1stgenpre has much to be proud of1stgenpre has much to be proud of1stgenpre has much to be proud of
Law Enforcement:
1stgenpre's Tacoma Gallery
Very impressed! That is great work OP!

I would most definitely be interested in having a drawing/painting of my truck done. Being that this is my dream truck and the most expensive vehicle I've ever owned I would love to have something like this.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:24 AM   #13
ERMB is one of the sharper tools in the shedERMB is one of the sharper tools in the shedERMB is one of the sharper tools in the shedERMB is one of the sharper tools in the shedERMB is one of the sharper tools in the shedERMB is one of the sharper tools in the shedERMB is one of the sharper tools in the shedERMB is one of the sharper tools in the shedERMB is one of the sharper tools in the shedERMB is one of the sharper tools in the shedERMB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ERMB's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, thanks all of you for the praise, I didn't really know what to expect putting this up here, seems encouraging so far. Thanks again!
Old 03-19-2014, 08:29 AM   #14
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: SSgt - A.G.E. Mechanic
Name: Jason
Detective_Dan's Tacoma Gallery
wow. you are quite the artist. very impressive work indeed. cant wait to see the finished product of that 1st gen
Old 03-19-2014, 08:40 AM   #15
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, some very good talent. I second the request for how much you would charge for converting a photograph to a watercolor print.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:57 AM   #16

ERMB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel View Post
Awesome! Incredible work! I'm sure someone will want you to immortalize their truck. What do you charge?
Thank you and good question, I was thinking that I would charge the same amounts as I do with home portraits, where I usually price by size. I try to accommodate people buying art by making it easy for them to go out and purchase standard size frames which are much, much less than custom frames from a frame shop.

Truck Portrait Prices:
9 in x 12in - $125
11in x 14in - $185
16in x 20in - $250
18in x 24in - $325
24in x 32in - $450

These prices reflect standard frame sizes. Over the next few days I'll definitely take serious suggestions on prices to see if what I have posted seems fair and will adjust accordingly. So your input will definitely be helpful. I'll also Post the Prices at the beginning of the thread later today.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:21 AM   #17

ERMB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by eborgie View Post
I would be interested in a painting of this. It was already messed with in Photoshop.

Erik,
It's a great shot, and very good to work from. I posted some prices in the post above, check them out and PM me with a size preference if this seems reasonable.
-Scott
Old 03-19-2014, 11:48 AM   #19

ERMB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR15xAR10 View Post
We have autistic ability? I cain't draw with out a straight edge
I'd say every other student that walks through my door says that, and in no time I got them drawing like this...

This is a 10th grader about 1/2 way thru the semester. Pretty sure he said something very similar when he first came to class.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:13 PM   #20
Aka: RainbowPuke
AR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AR15xAR10's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERMB View Post
I'd say every other student that walks through my door says that, and in no time I got them drawing like this...

This is a 10th grader about 1/2 way thru the semester. Pretty sure he said something very similar when he first came to class.
Every art teacher i had, i thought was nuts. You should've been my art teacher, you don't seem to be nuts. I loved art, though i wasn't very good at it.