1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Kayak advice

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by mdcmn7, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Mar 18, 2014 at 5:52 PM
    mdcmn7

mdcmn7 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    East Coast
    I have been fishing and boating for as long as I can remember, mostly canoes and Jon boats. I have been itching for a kayak For several years and I think the time is coming for this year

The area of pennsylvania has a hugely diverse fishing area, I have small, medium and huge lakes as well as several rivers/creeks all within a reasonable drive

In addition to fishing this will also be a general recreation canoe as I usually do at least a few paddling trips a year. No crazy whitewater or anything, just

I have been looking at some of the field and streak yaks from dicks, they are on sale and I have some dicks cash and a coupon

Anyone have any thoughts on the field and stream kayaks? I am looking at the eagle run 12 angler?

2. Mar 18, 2014 at 5:58 PM
    cjacob

cjacob Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lafayette, La
    Vehicle:
    '05 PreRunner SR5 TRD
  3. Mar 18, 2014 at 6:15 PM
    mdcmn7

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    East Coast
    That's a good looking kayak, I think I would be divorced if I spent that much change on one

I am looking for something in the $500 range that will get me out on the water

4. Mar 18, 2014 at 6:39 PM
    Polymerhead

Polymerhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Limited Inferno...Tundra!
    So, I just bought a Trident 13 from Ocean Kayak. Have had it for less than a week and haven't even had it on the water. But I did a ton of research before I bought it.

My kayak is similar to the Eagle Talon, and my requirements were similar to yours. My kayak weighs 10 lbs less than the Eagle, and is about 18" longer and 1" more narrow. That means mine will track straighter and be faster than the Eagle, but it would maybe be slightly easier to stand up in the Eagle depending on hull design. The Trident has internal storage for rods and looks like more features than the Eagle, like a dedicated spot for a fish finder, a ton of mounting points for rod holders, etc.

I'd say the Eagle Talon you're looking at would be more attractive to me than most of the outdoor store kayaks I looked at, plus, it's a lot less. I paid $1000 for mine, delivered, with a decent paddle and a folding kayak cart. I don't regret the Trident one bit, but the Eagle seems to be a great option too, as long as you don't mind a 70 lb kayak.

5. Mar 19, 2014 at 3:56 AM
    VTTACOMA

VTTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Benj
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport, Black
    Check out Native watercraft, they have a boat called the ultimate 12. One of the best boats I have paddled and fished from. Stable enough to stand up and fly fish from but super agile while paddling rivers.

They start at about $799, a little above your price but they are one of the best boats for fishing.

http://www.nativewatercraft.com/m.index.html

6. Mar 19, 2014 at 4:17 AM
    Gov

Gov Member

Member:
    Vermont
    Access LE Toneau Weather Techs Front Billies 1.75" Rear Billies / 1" Block
    I have been fishing out of a kayak for 10 years or better, they are a great all around boat. Light weight, they handle white caps on the lakes, and rapids on the rivers and dragging across rocks and logs. I would suggest that you look for a large cockpit opening cause getting in and out is the most dangerous time when a dunking in the water can take place, oh that's part of yaking. good luck

7. Mar 19, 2014 at 4:32 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I have 2 Widerness System Tarpons - 12' sit on top. Very stable with lots of options for seating and equipment. 60 lbs IIRC. These boats have held up great, are versatile for differing conditions & paddle nice. Academy sells a Perception Pescador which is the older WS mold like the Tarpons I have. It is cheaper and have seen them on sale for as low as 399. Here is a link to the Pescador at Academy...........

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/perception-sport-pescador-12-sit-on-kayak/pid-981956?color=Red%2fYellow&N=670787849

8. Mar 19, 2014 at 6:38 AM
    mdcmn7

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    East Coast
    I have used both sit on top and sit in, what is the advantage of a sit on top for fishing?

9. Mar 19, 2014 at 10:25 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Stabler to stand up in I suppose, self-draining, places to have cupholder/rodholder/electronics, fits better upside down on multi-purpose racks & a place behind the seat to strap in a milk crate holding supplies.

10. Mar 19, 2014 at 8:05 PM
    cjacob

cjacob Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lafayette, La
    Vehicle:
    '05 PreRunner SR5 TRD
    I am more comfortable in a sit in, the nice part about the one I posted is the two position seat. You can set it higher so it's easier to stand up when needed.

Personally I just think it's personal preference

11. Mar 19, 2014 at 8:10 PM
    Polymerhead

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, that Killroy is pretty sweet. Would make an easy blind for ducks too.

12. Mar 19, 2014 at 8:30 PM
    Hank4444

Hank4444 Member...?

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Daphne
    Vehicle:
    09 Sport DCSB
    Dog-Proofed Rear seat, 5100's, Rear TSB, Tranny TSB, Fog light mod, map light mod, DTRL mod, Volant CAI with ram air, UltraGauge, Blacked out emblems, extra D-rings, Bedlined front valance, Satoshi, Hella 500ff 55w HID, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Leather arm rests, Weathertechs, Hankook Dynapro ATM, Oil catch can, URD MAF Calibrator, Wheelers HD AAL, Thule Roof Rack, OME 885x with Lean Spacer, RedLine Hood struts, Access LE Tonneau, LED Bedrail lights,
    I have used many sit in and sit on top kayaks and they both have their benefits/faults. But I love my Wilderness Systems Pungo kayak. I bought the basic model and made it into a fishing kayak. Super stable in lakes, rivers, etc… Not so great with whitewater and beach launching, but fantastic everywhere else. I have taken it on numerous camping trips without any problems or issues. However I would recommend getting the 14 footer because the added dry storage really makes a difference.

I understand you stated you liked Dicks Sporting Goods, but have you looked online?

I have made numerous purchases from here: http://www.austinkayak.com

They have excellent customer service. They have only messed up one order with me and immediately corrected it. Plus they offer discounts all the time.
    Also a tip, shipping a kayak to a business you know is cheaper. Or call them and strike a deal. They also offer "scratch, dent, discontinued" products on their outlet store's page. http://www.austinkayak.com/outlet/

13. Mar 19, 2014 at 8:37 PM
    AzogSS

AzogSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Soda City, SC
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma / 2011 FJC
    My native ultimate is wonderful! Stable, fun, roomy.

14. Mar 20, 2014 at 3:22 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Fully agree about the personal preference point.......along with the intended use most of the time factor.

15. Mar 20, 2014 at 3:39 AM
    Polymerhead

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    100% agree about shopping online. Bought my kayak on Amazon and shipping was a massive $39. Less than half of what I would have paid I. Sales tax buying local. If there was a great kayak store here, that's be different, but there's not, and I wasn't going to settle for the cheapo models at bass pro.

16. Mar 20, 2014 at 4:09 AM
    mdcmn7

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    East Coast
    I have Amazon prime which saves a ton on shipping.

My only reason for dicks was I have some gift certificates and docks cash that would put the field and stream yak at about $375

I stopped by my local outfitter and he has a trial day the first week in May that I might go to

17. Mar 20, 2014 at 4:18 AM
    Yotafish

Yotafish Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR 4WD DC
    Same basic shit everybody else had 5 years ago.
    I am partial to Native as that is all I have had. They have one of the best full replacement warranties in the business. My first one I bought was for $700 and had it for 5 years and then got a small crack in it. Native more or less sent me to the nearest dealer and was told to "pick one out.". Cost was not a factor so I got a Ultimate 12 this time which was just over 1K and walked out.

All of the big companies make a great product now and most have a kayak made for every situation. I know what your budget is but more or less I have spent a grand total $700 bucks on over $1700 worth of kayaks. Not too bad.

Most importantly you get what you pay for. I have friends who have the box store kayaks and they just don't last if you use them regularly and the warranty is minimal. if you go out once or twice a year only in good weather and situations you will have no issues.

http://www.paddleva.com

http://www.shopgetoutdoors.com

Good links above to East coast shops with great shipping rates. They also sell good used boats.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  18. Apr 7, 2014 at 5:31 PM
    toughtaco

toughtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl cab short bed
    TRD CAI, MBRP dual exhaust, PIAA headlights and driving lights, 5% limo tint, 3 inch Skyjacker lift , AFE throttle body spacer, 285/70/17 BF Goodright AT TA KO, Grillcraft MX with PIAA's behind the grill, anytime fog light mod, reverse camera anytime mod, and PIAA fog lights on the rear bumper anytime mod light bar behind back window with truck lights for reverse assistance, Optima Red Top Battery, Onza 3x5" LEd reverse lights attached to light bar behind cab
    Check out the Hobie Mirage Pro Angler series. This one is a sit on model. There is another sit on kayak I just cant think of the name right now. I have fished a sit in kayak and after a while I wish I could do something with my feet. I have a size 11 shoe and it gets bad especially when its super hot, yes there is a shade from the sun but body heat to contend with. I no longer have the sitins but I am most likely going to buy a sit on soon to get back out there. It makes fishing and moving around on the boat easier. Plus with the model I posted above its got foot controls so you have your hands free all the time. I would like to see how the foot pedals handled in high winds. Just my opinion, I have been fishing a sit in for 12 years and I thought about a sit in everytime I fished.

19. Apr 7, 2014 at 5:32 PM
    toughtaco

toughtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl cab short bed
    TRD CAI, MBRP dual exhaust, PIAA headlights and driving lights, 5% limo tint, 3 inch Skyjacker lift , AFE throttle body spacer, 285/70/17 BF Goodright AT TA KO, Grillcraft MX with PIAA's behind the grill, anytime fog light mod, reverse camera anytime mod, and PIAA fog lights on the rear bumper anytime mod light bar behind back window with truck lights for reverse assistance, Optima Red Top Battery, Onza 3x5" LEd reverse lights attached to light bar behind cab
    ^sorry for the longwinded redundant post.

Products Discussed in

To Top