Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Disc brake on mountain bike HELP

Old 04-07-2009, 04:14 PM   #1
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Arrow Disc brake on mountain bike HELP

Can anyone show me what hub I have to have to get a rear disc brake? I think mine is compatible for one. Im just not sure
Old 04-07-2009, 04:36 PM   #2
Uncivilized Creations Prez
PrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Redz
PrezidentRedz's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to PrezidentRedz
you need the whole wheel set not just the brake. what kinda bike do you have?
Old 04-07-2009, 04:47 PM   #3
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Thats what i meant. Sorry..... Its just a REALLY nice el cheapo bike. Mongoose Detour
Old 04-07-2009, 06:01 PM   #4
Uncivilized Creations Prez
PrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Redz
PrezidentRedz's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to PrezidentRedz
your best bet would be to take it to a local bike shop, or check out some of the Mtn bike forums
Old 04-07-2009, 06:28 PM   #5
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Im a member of RideMonkey but no one has responded yet. its been 2 weeks
Old 04-07-2009, 07:17 PM   #6
Thinks he's Steve McQueen
squad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Marc
squad314's Tacoma Gallery
Can you post a picture of your hub?.......Looking at the hub on your bike,if it is disc compatible,the hub will appear open and flat with mounting holes instead of tapering down to the axle.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:29 PM   #7
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Disk compatible hub

Old 04-07-2009, 07:29 PM   #8
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Non disk compatible hubs

Old 04-07-2009, 07:46 PM   #9
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Ill get some pictures tomorrow and post them.

It looks like a normal hub but then it has a really big bare spot on the opposite side of the chain ring gears
Old 04-07-2009, 07:56 PM   #10
jwscoot has a spectacular aura aboutjwscoot has a spectacular aura about

jwscoot's Tacoma Gallery
just look on the opposite side of the cassette gears on the rear hub, if there is 6 tapped holes there then you can slap a disk on there,
Old 04-07-2009, 07:57 PM   #11
gozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shed
gozar's Tacoma Gallery
Hub, Bub

Do you have a front disk brake already?
The front brake does most of the stopping.

Check this out - a nice, but entry level Mavic disk wheel set:
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...x?SSAID=169405

You could go ghetto tubeless:
http://www.gotubeless.com/ways-to-go...ess-a-roadmap/

Tubeless tires rock - if you run them with sealer (like Stan's) you will almost never get a flat!
Old 04-08-2009, 04:26 AM   #12
taconinja is just really nicetaconinja is just really nicetaconinja is just really nicetaconinja is just really nice

taconinja's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to taconinja
probably not worth the upgrade on a mongoose. no offense but going to disks will set you back more than your bike. A cheap wheelset will be around $150 and decent, worthwhile mechanical discs (Avid BB5) will be around $200.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by taconinja View Post
probably not worth the upgrade on a mongoose. no offense but going to disks will set you back more than your bike. A cheap wheelset will be around $150 and decent, worthwhile mechanical discs (Avid BB5) will be around $200.
X2. Also depends on how much stopping power you need. My Shimano XT "V" brakes are more than enough to throw me over the bars.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:44 AM   #14
sonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nice

sonjay's Tacoma Gallery
Disk brakes are pretty much over kill, there nice for sure, but depending on what type of riding you do, you probably don't need them, unless your into downhill. They make some pretty wicked V brake pads, that work very well in wet, muddy conditions. IMO I wouldn't waste my money on mechanical disks anyway, especially if your bike already has decent V brakes. Even LX is a great product and you could probably find a set for less then $100. The other thing you need to check is weather your bike frame has a disk brake mount.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:53 AM   #15
sockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
sockmonkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gozar View Post
Do you have a front disk brake already?
The front brake does most of the stopping.

Check this out - a nice, but entry level Mavic disk wheel set:
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...x?SSAID=169405

i have the Crossride rimset (badass!)

if you have never had an Oh Shit! moment you could not stop with the brakes you have, i personally would not go with discs.

my V-brakes have never put me in a situation were i wished i had more.
cantilevers....different story

my 2¢ (of course i live in North Texas)
Old 04-08-2009, 11:14 AM   #16
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sockmonkey View Post
i have the Crossride rimset (badass!)

if you have never had an Oh Shit! moment you could not stop with the brakes you have, i personally would not go with discs.

my V-brakes have never put me in a situation were i wished i had more.
cantilevers....different story

my 2¢ (of course i live in North Texas)
I didn't realize they even made the crossrides anymore. I had those when they first came out and they were great wheels.

You will get better performance for the money with an upgrade of your rim brakes. Don't even bother upgrading the mongoose.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:29 AM   #17
Addicted to V8s
Toph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Toph's Tacoma Gallery
You'll also need to make sure you have the mounts for the caliper on the frame
Old 04-08-2009, 05:33 PM   #18
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Ok here are a few snapshots from my phone.

For this picture, Is there suppoesed to be oil or sometype of fluid in the fork shocks? because I bottom out very easy.

A good muddy picture

Old 04-08-2009, 07:07 PM   #19
sockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
sockmonkey's Tacoma Gallery
prob the best money you could spend on that bike would be to upgrade the fork.

cambriabike.com
pricepoint.com
jensonusa.com
wheelworld.com (takes paypal)

they all have some good deals on forks
Old 04-08-2009, 07:09 PM   #20
mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy
FlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
FlawedXJ's Tacoma Gallery
turning 16 in like 3 weeks and you still wanna spend money on your bike....lol