Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Android boating and hiking offline GPS app

Old 07-21-2014, 05:39 AM   #1
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Android boating and hiking offline GPS app

I love to get out and hike. The problem I run into is lack of signal to load Google maps and calculate paths.
Also my friend just got a boat and wants to make night runs.

What do you guys use/think is the best?
Old 07-21-2014, 06:03 AM   #2
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
You won't be able to look stuff up offline but google maps can still track where you're at without data. I use it on our boat when we're out at night.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:09 AM   #3
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Yea, we won't really need to look up stuff. I've used My Tracks by Google, but all that gives me while I don't have signal is a line to follow back the way I came. I know you can now save maps for offline use but haven't been able to test it yet.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:09 AM   #4
nealkas will become famous soon enough
Marines: Motor T, other duties as required. ;-)
Name: nealkas
nealkas's Tacoma Gallery
We geocache.
I also picked up a Garmin Glo.

Really narrows your circle which can be important in boating.
Pre GPS, my cuz and I located a sandbar doing about 30 knots one moonless night.
Thank goodness we never locked our motor down.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:35 AM   #5
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I don't trust it to be too accurate, I know the lake pretty well and if I can see in general where I'm at I know where the boat needs to be to not hit stuff. It also is useful for finding home since no docks are allowed to have power down there
Old 07-21-2014, 06:59 AM   #6
Sloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
I use backcountry navigator. You can download maps and just use gps. They use all publicly available topos and also have noaa charts. If I'm hiking or offroading I'll load up the Cal topo for the area I'm going to, use the app to record tracks, waypoints, etc ..

If I'm going striper fishing out in the salt in my kayak I'll load up the noaa charts in the area. It's not free, I want to say like $15 but totally worth it. You can also buy more detailed if you want, though I find the Cal top maps to be just fine
Old 07-21-2014, 07:06 AM   #7
Sloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
The other cool thingyou can do with it is load kml/ kmz ,etc.. files into it. I'm a transmission line engineer, and I also use it to see where a proposed line will go in the field. It's really nice when you're out in like west Virginia or similar and trying to get an idea of where things will be.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:02 AM   #8
nealkas will become famous soon enough
Marines: Motor T, other duties as required. ;-)
Name: nealkas
nealkas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
The other cool thingyou can do with it is load kml/ kmz ,etc.. files into it. I'm a transmission line engineer, and I also use it to see where a proposed line will go in the field. It's really nice when you're out in like west Virginia or similar and trying to get an idea of where things will be.
I hacked our Nuvi 360 via internet instructables and ran a load of topo maps on it. Our first geocache rig.
I have to fix the touchscreen on it.
I liked that rig.