Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Appalachian trail camping in early september

Old 08-13-2014, 06:05 AM   #1
EdwardHBLW is on a distinguished road
EdwardHBLW's Tacoma Gallery
Appalachian trail camping in early september

My girl and I are driving up that way to do some backpacking and primitive camping the second week of september for our birthdays... Was wondering what two thin blooded Floridians can expect as far as temps, humidity, bugs, etc? Any specific "take your breath away" areas we need to check out while we're up there? Looking to do 3 or 4 nights...

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-13-2014, 06:29 AM   #2
TacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jackson
TacomaJack09's Tacoma Gallery
Which section of the AT? Its a pretty long trail haha humidity will depend on which state or states you'll be hiking through but I'd guess about 50% or more. You'll run into mosquito's, black flies, sweat bees, and a few others. Nothing to worry about though.

If you're not dead set on the AT, check out the Art Loeb Trail in NC, awesome trail with some of the best views in NC. You'll hit peaks up to 6,000 ft. What I like most about it is you can literally pitch a tent anywhere, where as on the AT you're "suppose" to use the designated shelters..

Obviously it would depend on if you're coming this far north or not.

My pics from the Art Loeb

Old 08-14-2014, 05:40 AM   #3
Honestly, she's been doing most of the research and planning on this trip, but I do believe we'll be on the TN/NC Border... I'll have to show her this and see what she thinks. Thanks!
Old 08-14-2014, 05:46 AM   #4
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Rime ice and snow possible in the White Mt's in Sept. at higher elevations.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:35 AM   #5
TacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jackson
TacomaJack09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardHBLW View Post
TN/NC Border...
That's your best bet! Have fun!
Old 08-15-2014, 11:17 AM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaJack09 View Post
That's your best bet! Have fun!
Thanks! Pretty excited since this will be my first backpacking trip... she's an old pro at it.