1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What I did today(Non Tacoma Mod)

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by Monkeysuncle, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Aug 9, 2009 at 1:10 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    Your neighbors should thank you. They should have less bugs due to the bats. :D

2. Aug 9, 2009 at 1:32 PM
    AFButters

AFButters Rigger, Please!!

Member:
    First Name:
    "Butters"
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2008 335xi BMW
    how do you attract the bats.. are there bats in North Carolina.. bc I hate the fucking bugs here

will the bats attack my dogs..

3. Aug 9, 2009 at 1:37 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Monkeysuncle [OP] My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5 speed Manual Hubs
    Diff Breather,CB thingy,GPS,Cop Shocks,Cop Brakes, old Man Emu 881's Dakar Leaf Springs and Nitro sport shocks. Deck Plate mod

Well yes now I do have to do some cleaning up. The house plans I bought online didn't include putting the horizontal 2x4 supports in, but here in Florida we have these little things called "hurricanes" and I didn't want it crashing down in a big storm, but now I have over 250 bats and the maintenance is every week just take a water hose once they are out for the night and spray it off, the next house I build will have a smaller cross member , possibly not so high up. P.S. The grass under the gouse is sooooo green, goint to put some of it on my tomatoes and peppers...its organic, high in nurtrients and FREE!!

4. Aug 9, 2009 at 1:46 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Diff Breather,CB thingy,GPS,Cop Shocks,Cop Brakes, old Man Emu 881's Dakar Leaf Springs and Nitro sport shocks. Deck Plate mod

No, not as a rule, most, if not all bat bites happen when a sick or injured bat is on the ground, think of a bird on the ground just sitting there, something is wrong if it doesnt fly way. My dog and I sit out on my porch and watch them on a nightly basis. Yes bats are in almost every state in the union, not quite sure about Alaska though, as far as attracting them,...no such thing. My first house was up 5 years before the first bats moved in,(only 27 at peak occupancy) by that time it was time to repair the roof,(water leaks and a big hole thanks to a pesky wood pecker) this house has been up since April of 2009 and I have over 250 bats, that is not the norm but it may take a new house in an area where water is available within a quarter mile up to a year to have bats. But once you have them, they will come back year after year, Honestly I am in the tropics of Florida, mosquito capitol of the world, and I can sit in my back yard, they fly all over the place, never been touched by one, ever, and not have but one or two mosquitos bother me in a night. Thanks for looking and asking questions on a subject I enjoy other than my Tacoma. Kevin

5. Aug 9, 2009 at 1:52 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Just one more thing the guano, a.k.a. poop, is dangerous in an inclosed attic or wall situation, in the back yard I just wash it into the ground with a hose, once it dries and turns to dust in a wall or attic then a pro should be called into clean it up for you, the bat house I built is a great way to exclude a bat colony from a building before the egress is closed, and in most states required by law. I'm a wealth of information, just ask. Just don't ask me which shock or coil spring to use on your truck. I'm a stocker.

6. Aug 9, 2009 at 1:59 PM
    AFButters

AFButters Rigger, Please!!

Member:
    First Name:
    "Butters"
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2008 335xi BMW
    so basicly put it up and just wait till they discover it..

7. Aug 9, 2009 at 2:14 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:

Yes, unfortunate but true, only thing the book and research I did was tell me...water near by(under a quarter mile) open space in a yard or field(no trees or power lines) have a bug population that can sustain a bat colony, really the bats will fly over 25 miles to find food and return to a secure bat house, farmers in the U.S. are building these things all over the place and have cut down on pesticides, that isn't why I built it, I just saw a bat fly over my house one night, but when they fly they echolocate for bugs but at the same time an empty bat house shows up in their echolocation as a possible roost, and with suitable spaces going by the way side, man made spaces are becoming more and more occupied. I know it's frustrating not to have a guarantee but in the long run, for me personally, it has worked out. Good luck. Kevin

8. Aug 9, 2009 at 2:22 PM
    montgomery_30824

montgomery_30824 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Guyton, Ga
    Vehicle:
    '06 prerunner 4dr
    K & N airfilter, custom built 10" sub boxes, pioneer head, mag-lite mod, Blue LED dash lights, custom painted engine cover, mud flap removal mod, alarm/remote start installed,
    thats awesome. have a street light in front of the neighbors house and there is one bat that is out there every night. pretty kewl to watch him hunt.

9. Aug 30, 2009 at 2:49 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
  10. Aug 30, 2009 at 3:13 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I have a bat for a pet. :D

Actually, there's this bat that hangs out in the corner of my patio. He sticks to the wall. I took a picture of him once...but can't find it. His evidence lays on the corner of our patio (my husband hates it). I thik he's cute...:D

11. Aug 30, 2009 at 3:37 PM
    rhoppas

rhoppas Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab V6 TRD Sport Tow
    Earnhardt Cannons, Terra Grapplers, Viper alarm, Hunter4x4 Bull Bar, 6" Pro Comp Off-Road lights, extra set of bed D-rings, Chrome exhaust tip, Metra Ipod/MP3 adapter, Garmin GPS, CarriageWorks grill, Maglite mounted to driver seat, 9" Stubbie Antenna, WeatherTech floor liners, Saddleman Neoprene seat covers, DeeZee bed mat
    That is way cool. I recently spent several days at a relatives house on the Lake of the Ozarks. At night there were lots of bats flying around. They fly very fast and made this weird clicking kind of noise. I suppose it is their echo location. How do 300 bats fit in that house? It doesn't look that big.

12. Aug 30, 2009 at 3:42 PM
    Burgman

Burgman I KEEEEEL YOU

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Ric VA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD sport Silver
    K&N intake, Boston Acoustic SL 60 6.5 components up front, Rockford Power T16 6.5 in rear, Pioneer P4100 HU, Soon to be Pioneer Prs 4200f
    holy shits that alot of bats and i want one but my truck would suffer as i dont garage it... tough decision... oh yea i live in the city

13. Aug 30, 2009 at 6:31 PM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    That bat house is great. We have a smaller one here in Connecticut. Something is killing off the bats in the northeast, they are way down from 5 years ago. I've only seen 1 bat so far this year. Bugs have been bad this year because of the wet spring and early summer. Keep up the good work!

14. Aug 31, 2009 at 1:35 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:

The house is actually 2 placed back to back with 1 inch betwen them, each house has 3 partitions and all surfaces are covered in mesh so the bats can hold on, and don't forget, the bats are not much bigger than a mans thumb.

15. Aug 31, 2009 at 1:40 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:

That somethig is white nose syndrome, it's nasty. It is a fungus that grows in the caves and causes the bats to come out of hybernation early. No food available and the bats are actually starving to death/ dehydrated. It's killed 10's of millions so far, no end in sight.I give $ every year to a group trying to find a cure, or at least help.

16. Oct 30, 2010 at 6:37 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Halloween Bump

17. Oct 30, 2010 at 6:48 PM
    TRICOMA

TRICOMA Tacoma with the TRI package

Member:
    First Name:
    Tri
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC SB 4x4 TRD Off Road
    King Off-Road Shock Coilover 2.5 with Resi in the front. King Off-Road Shocks 2.5 with Resi's for the rears, Rear Spring TSB, KMC XD Enduros 16x8, Black Vinyl Fenders, Bed compartment locks, Cobra 19 DX IV with Lil Wil mag mount antenna, CoverKing Seat covers front and rear, Built Right UCAs, Aluminess Expedition Bumper, GY Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar 265/75-16, Custom hybrid style rock sliders.
    Dude that is awesome. I want bats now...researching that site. Thanks.

18. Sep 28, 2011 at 10:52 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Bats are there, more than ever. My girl and I counted more than 250 three nights ago, then got tired and went inside.

19. Sep 28, 2011 at 10:54 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Cool

I put a few of these up around my property over the years

20. Sep 28, 2011 at 11:03 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Cool, and thanks man. I built the two from a plan I got on line. The money goes to bat education. They are a good thing,....

Products Discussed in

To Top